Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Car and driver 2015 leak... (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2983)

GunsUp 10-28-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 54466)
I'd imagine that is what the guys who bought the 2010's had to deal with. They got the new bodystyle, but the old motor with the new 5.0 coming out less than a year later. The guys who got out of their 2010's took a serious hit because the value of their 10's absolutely tanked cuz no one wanted them.

Yeah it's nothing new but why Does Ford do that? Just pisses the Mustang cult following off.

re-rx7 10-28-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 54458)
Wait wait wait... everyone said it would be 500lbs less:rondod:

Can't wait to tell everyone that seriously expected that much weight loss "I toldya so."

-Alex

Its still up in the air no sound proof of anything right now. What is funny though is that if the car only makes 460hp, it still makes more then the vette lol.

DirtyD 10-28-2013 11:09 AM

Well they do have a "2014.5" short production run, but I don't think they would up the power for the people that are getting the "anniversary" edition.

Grandpa 10-28-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunsUp (Post 54470)
Yeah it's nothing new but why Does Ford do that? Just pisses the Mustang cult following off.

Clearly not the case considering Ford was selling them faster than they could make them with the release of the Coyote. I suspect the same will happen with the new car with the new body, suspension and gadgets. The Coyote still makes enough power for most people. You have to keep in mind, us car freaks are still the minority in Ford's sales because most people who buy Mustangs do not modify them at all. The more power they make from the factory, the less people tend to mod them motor wise.

As for comparing the new Mustang to a Corvette, it's apples to oranges still. The Mustang being a 2+2 passenger car versus the Corvette being a legitimate sports car with better weight balance and lighter weight. The Mustangs direct competitors are the Camaro and Challenger, not the Corvette.

Dominic Toretto 10-28-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 54472)
Its still up in the air no sound proof of anything right now. What is funny though is that if the car only makes 460hp, it still makes more then the vette lol.

Just like the 6.4 Challenger does. And it runs mid 11s just like the C7 right :)?

-Alex

saunupe1911 10-28-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 54466)
I'd imagine that is what the guys who bought the 2010's had to deal with. They got the new bodystyle, but the old motor with the new 5.0 coming out less than a year later. The guys who got out of their 2010's took a serious hit because the value of their 10's absolutely tanked cuz no one wanted them.

Good point sir. I just commented about that on C&D. 2017 will be the year to upgrade after the power bumps and Cuda/Camaro releases. They won't be fooling me!!!

re-rx7 10-28-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 54477)
Just like the 6.4 Challenger does. And it runs mid 11s just like the C7 right :)?

-Alex

Did you stop to think about how much the challenger weighs? The mustang will probally weigh a few hundred lbs more not 900lbs like the challenger.Slowgrey is right. 2+2 vs 2 seater pretty much apple to oranges.

saunupe1911 10-28-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 54477)

-Alex

It will only be 100 to 200 lbs lighter. Those other numbers are exaggerations to build hype. Lets be realistic. Our cars can get 0-60 in 4.3 to 4.5s in perfect conditions. So a 450 HP, IRS, lighter Stang running with a base Vette (none Z51 package) is not far fetched by any means.

Dominic Toretto 10-28-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 (Post 54481)
It will only be 100 to 200 lbs lighter. Those other numbers are exaggerations to build hype. Lets be realistic. Our cars can get 0-60 in 4.3 to 4.5s in perfect conditions. So a 450 HP, IRS, lighter Stand running with a base Vette (none Z51 package) is not far fetched by any means.

C7s are getting to 60 in the same time as current C6Zs. Sub 4 second range and are in the 11s bone stock on stock tires. I'm not saying the Mustang won't be faster, I'm positive it will. I just don't ever recall a Mustang GT ever being as fast as a base Corvette. The rendering of the car in that 360 view is very attractive though.

-Alex

Dominic Toretto 10-28-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 54479)
Did you stop to think about how much the challenger weighs?

Yes and that's my point. Horsepower alone doesn't determine acceleration :).

-Alex

Grandpa 10-28-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 54482)
C7s are getting to 60 in the same time as current C6Zs. Sub 4 second range and are in the 11s bone stock on stock tires. I'm not saying the Mustang won't be faster, I'm positive it will. I just don't ever recall a Mustang GT ever being as fast as a base Corvette. The rendering of the car in that 360 view is very attractive though.

-Alex

This is what I was referring to about comparing the Mustang and the Corvette to one another. There is more to performance than just straight line acceleration which is NOT the Corvette's focus but rather all around performance. While the 0-60 might be close, as soon as a turn comes along the Mustang doesn't hold a candle to the Vette handling and top end performance.

The Mustang is a passenger car with a smaller motor, heavier weight, inferior weight distribution in comparison to a purpose built sports car like the Corvette. However, when you compare the Mustang to it's proper competitors like the Camaro and Challenger it dominates in every way. As I said, it's just not a fair comparison.

Dominic Toretto 10-28-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 54484)
This is what I was referring to about comparing the Mustang and the Corvette to one another. There is more to performance than just straight line acceleration which is NOT the Corvette's focus but rather all around performance. While the 0-60 might be close, as soon as a turn comes along the Mustang doesn't hold a candle to the Vette handling and top end performance.

The Mustang is a passenger car with a smaller motor, heavier weight, inferior weight distribution in comparison to a purpose built sports car like the Corvette. However, when you compare the Mustang to it's proper competitors like the Camaro and Challenger it dominates in every way. As I said, it's just not a fair comparison.

True. Either way, that new Mustang is very nice to look at, if those renderings of the 360 view are accurate. Hope it looks close to that image.

-Alex

DirtyD 10-28-2013 12:43 PM

I was just stating that if the Mustang does in fact shed 200-300 lbs, and has 450 (or more) hp, it would in fact be competition for the C7. Yes they are different cars, built for different purposes, but for them to still be on the same level (in terms of performance stand points) as the C7 is impressive to say the least. Because that leaves no room for GM to make the Camaro comparable, considering it would have to be on basically par with the Vette...

saunupe1911 10-28-2013 12:45 PM

I'm more concerned about it's center of gravity more than weight. It needs to be 4 series low to hug the corners. I doubt they take it that far and S550 owners will be swapping out suspensions just like us S197 owners.

Adam 10-28-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 54487)
I was just stating that if the Mustang does in fact shed 200-300 lbs, and has 450 (or more) hp, it would in fact be competition for the C7. Yes they are different cars, built for different purposes, but for them to still be on the same level (in terms of performance stand points) as the C7 is impressive to say the least. Because that leaves no room for GM to make the Camaro comparable, considering it would have to be on basically par with the Vette...

You don't get it....