Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Gun Advice (looking to buy a pistol) (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3240)

Shiftybusiness 12-02-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 58052)
This. I used to shoot there all the time before I moved

Maybe we could go to Shoot Smart and have some fun I would love to have a range day with a LEO?

03MachMe 12-02-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiftybusiness (Post 58074)
Maybe we could go to Shoot Smart and have some fun I would love to have a range day with a LEO?

I live on the other side of the metroplex now but maybe during my 10 days off in December we can set something up

Shiftybusiness 12-02-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 58075)
I live on the other side of the metroplex now but maybe during my 10 days off in December we can set something up

That would be cool. We could find someplace in between it doesn't have to be Shoot Smart.

JDBishopArts 12-02-2013 05:05 PM

I shoot at Elm Fork

Shiftybusiness 12-02-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts (Post 58090)
I shoot at Elm Fork

I do to when I shoot rifle. For handguns I like the indoor you don't have to deal with cease fire and you can adjust the distance at will.

DirtyD 12-02-2013 06:25 PM

I like to shoot in my backyard when I go home. :gunner::biggun:

JDBishopArts 12-02-2013 08:28 PM

Danny, have you thought about getting a shotgun? I know it's not small but that's the ultimate home defense gun. When you're half asleep and not fully focused all you have to do it point it in the general direction and let er rip. Additionally, I'm sure if a would be robber heard you rack a shotgun they probably wouldn't keep coming. I bought my Mossberg 500a for $200. Holds 7 shells. I keep 5 bird/target shot as the first rounds and 2 slugs as a just in case.

DirtyD 12-02-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts (Post 58109)
Danny, have you thought about getting a shotgun? I know it's not small but that's the ultimate home defense gun. When you're half asleep and not fully focused all you have to do it point it in the general direction and let er rip. Additionally, I'm sure if a would be robber heard you rack a shotgun they probably wouldn't keep coming. I bought my Mossberg 500a for $200. Holds 7 shells. I keep 5 bird/target shot as the first rounds and 2 slugs as a just in case.

Cabelas and bass pro usually have some decent deals on sawed off defense shotguns as well.

Dan12GT 12-02-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts (Post 58109)

Thought about it. Heard that is the cheaper route. I kinda wanted a decent hand gun too for recreational target practice too.

JDBishopArts 12-02-2013 10:10 PM

A shotgun makes target practice a little easier. lol

DirtyD 12-02-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts (Post 58129)
A shotgun makes target practice a little easier. lol

If you want to get a little complicated, just start shooting from the hip. Lol

Bacadiesel 12-03-2013 12:36 AM

Smokin hot chick works at shoot smart. That's why I go there

fordplay 12-05-2013 09:57 AM

I advise shoot smart also. You pay one rental fee and you can shoot the entire case. Think about this, you are getting this as self defense, is your life worth $200? My everyday carry and league shooting gun is a SIG 226.. I have other guns but it's the one I always go back to. It's been thru water, mud, sand , snow , rain , heat, cold, never failed and still drives tacks. As for round size.... I prefer .40 9 mm is cheap but some times it goes too fast. . P.s. Leo's are all poor shots!!!! Ha ha

lolvtec 12-05-2013 10:55 AM

This is really the only option: (object in picture shown actual size.. sry about that, posting from phone)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...712_221812.jpg

Be wary of advice given by sales people at a lot of gunshops.. Even among the gun enthusiasts posting in this thread there is a bit of bad information.. for instance, spread out of a 18.5" 12ga shotgun barrel shooting buckshot down the longest hallway in your home is going to be about as large as your fist.

I sincerely suggest shooting with someone who knows their stuff before you make a purchase, knowing how to properly handle a gun and understanding recoil, etc will greatly impact the purchase you decide on.

Crimson600+HP 12-05-2013 11:04 AM

A Smith and Wesson SD9 VE is a good weapon. It is a glock 17/26 clone, which is heavily regarded as the standard among 9mm striker fired pistols. Glock even sued S&W on the design for copyright infrigment and won. Best part about it, they can be had brand new in the $350 range (which is easily $150 less than its Glock brother).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWIE...w&noredirect=1