Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BAMA Ghost Cam Tune, GOOD OR BAD? (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1685)

Phuck Phace 05-09-2013 10:05 AM

Fake cams ftl

JDMLOL 05-09-2013 06:07 PM

Re: BAMA Ghost Cam Tune, GOOD OR BAD?

I'm a little ignorant on cams, but do they even make decent cams for these motors? All I've seen for these cars are nsr cams and I would think they couldn't add much if the lift isn't enough to require new springs... is lift even the right term for a dohc??

kanetrain 05-09-2013 06:26 PM

Maybe this is pure ignorance on my part, but why do you guys consider it "fake"? Isn't it the cams making that sound?? I understand it's just an idle thing, but I don't think I would consider it "fake" if it is, in fact, the cams making it make that sound.

Smurf50 05-09-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanetrain (Post 29298)
Maybe this is pure ignorance on my part, but why do you guys consider it "fake"? Isn't it the cams making that sound?? I understand it's just an idle thing, but I don't think I would consider it "fake" if it is, in fact, the cams making it make that sound.

With a "ghost cam" tune, you don't actually have aftermarket cams with a different LSA causing the "loping" sound. It's purely done with variables and causing the car to run very rich :)

kanetrain 05-09-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurf50 (Post 29300)
With a "ghost cam" tune, you don't actually have aftermarket cams with a different LSA causing the "loping" sound. It's purely done with variables and causing the car to run very rich :)

Well of course they aren't "aftermarket", but it's still the camshaft's lobes making the "lope" correct? I know they dump fuel into it, as well, but it's the lobes that are making the sound?? I may be wrong, I'm curious.

Smurf50 05-09-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanetrain (Post 29314)
Well of course they aren't "aftermarket", but it's still the camshaft's lobes making the "lope" correct? I know they dump fuel into it, as well, but it's the lobes that are making the sound?? I may be wrong, I'm curious.

Incorrect. The sound of a car "loping" is due to the grind of the camshaft and the LSA of that camshaft. On a stock grind the idle will be smooth, such as if you remove the "ghost tune" from the car. All it's doing is tricking the car into dumping excess fuel, adjusting the timing and the lift electronically to simulate the cam lope.

Jeremyd43 05-09-2013 09:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Oh and thanks to JDM for the heads up that running the A/C during idle can cause the car to stall when the ghost cam is on the tune.

Jeremyd43 05-09-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark pony (Post 29159)
it's only good if done right. Shaun at aed knows how to do them pretty well.

aed?

Jeremyd43 05-09-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremyd43 (Post 29328)
aed?

never mind. found it.

JDMLOL 05-09-2013 09:40 PM

I thought the lopey idle comes from the intake and exhaust valves overlapping slightly on an aftermarket cam and in the ghost cam's case it's being done electronically.

Smurf50 05-09-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMLOL (Post 29332)
I thought the lopey idle comes from the intake and exhaust valves overlapping slightly on an aftermarket cam and in the ghost cam's case it's being done electronically.

I believe that overlap is the LSA (lobe separation angle).

Toby 05-09-2013 09:57 PM

With the new 5.0 they have electronic solenoids that act with the oil pressure and a spring on the cam sprocket to adjust the Lsa. The intake and exhaust have their own separate solenoid and galleys to where each can be adjusted how ever and what ever you want, you just need the correct software that gives you access to these tables in the tune. With the factory setup the computer can advance or retard the Lsa as much as 50*!! With the ghost tune it simply advances the cam timing thus causing the lope sound. When installed "straight" up the factory cams would be some choppy mo fo's!!!

Pepperinyoureye 05-09-2013 10:12 PM

My Bama tuner/tunes just came in on Tuesday. Been on Race tune since then and I'm satisfied so far. Much smoother power band, throttle response is great, and like stock drive ability. Cant really speak on the cam tune but I'm happy so far.

JDMLOL 05-09-2013 10:45 PM

Re: BAMA Ghost Cam Tune, GOOD OR BAD?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepperinyoureye (Post 29338)
My Bama tuner/tunes just came in on Tuesday. Been on Race tune since then and I'm satisfied so far. Much smoother power band, throttle response is great, and like stock drive ability. Cant really speak on the cam tune but I'm happy so far.

I just got mine today. Happy so far, may do the dyno thing when im settled on mods for a bit. Anyone have a little longer crank time on the first initial start up after loading the tune? Im assuming because the key is on and the fuel pump is ready to go for so long when loading...

re-rx7 05-10-2013 10:13 PM

The more I hear about the coyote motor the more it seems like a kseries motor from Honda. It to can adjust timing up to 50degrees! Man I guess we should be thanking Honda for variable valve timing in a way.