Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Availability of 93 Octane (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2599)

G-Mann 09-02-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMLOL (Post 48153)
I was sort of thinking that, but my ecu likes to lockout quite a bit during loads. I really don't want to be stranded after hours if the battery or "let it sit and cool down" tricks dont work and sct is closed.

I hear ya, I'd be a bit nervous flashing on the side of the road myself. I like to have a battery charger/maintainer on mine when I flash, which is not all that often since my dyno tune. But I do have my mail order tunes 4 life handy as a last resort with a 87, 91 on tap.

DirtyD 09-03-2013 01:00 AM

OK doesn't carry any 93, only 87-91. Anywhere south of DFW down to Mexico and west of Junction (draw a line straight north) is where 93 because a pain to find

Going east isn't a problem though for 93.

I want to eventually make a road trip in my car out to California, but I don't know what I would do for fuel...probably get an 87 tune for my mods and just call it at that.

re-rx7 09-03-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 48209)
OK doesn't carry any 93, only 87-91. Anywhere south of DFW down to Mexico and west of Junction (draw a line straight north) is where 93 because a pain to find

Going east isn't a problem though for 93.

I want to eventually make a road trip in my car out to California, but I don't know what I would do for fuel...probably get an 87 tune for my mods and just call it at that.

There are a few station in OKC that carry it. When I can....I get 95 in dallas.

DirtyD 09-03-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 48264)
There are a few station in OKC that carry it. When I can....I get 95 in dallas.

Where is Dallas is there 95?

And that's nice to know that OKC has some 93. Doubt I will ever venture that far into OK unless I'm sucked in by the massive suckage that is OK. :lol:

re-rx7 09-03-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 48289)
Where is Dallas is there 95?

And that's nice to know that OKC has some 93. Doubt I will ever venture that far into OK unless I'm sucked in by the massive suckage that is OK. :lol:

You know why its windy in OKlahoma? Because Texas sucks...:waytogo::rockit:. Go south on Harry Hines from 635. There will be a shell on the right. 95 at the pump.

Grandpa 09-03-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 48292)
You know why its windy in OKlahoma? Because Texas sucks...:waytogo::rockit:. Go south on Harry Hines from 635. There will be a shell on the right. 95 at the pump.

It's windy in OK due to the 10,000 trailer parks and the tornadoes tearing through them. lol

re-rx7 09-03-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 48294)
It's windy in OK due to the 10,000 trailer parks and the tornadoes tearing through them. lol

Aint that the truth. :signs8:

JDMLOL 09-23-2013 08:51 AM

I just thought of something...After reading around on other sites, shouldn't the knock sensors still adjust timing with an aftermarket tune? I read with Lund tunes that the knock sensors would still adjust the car. I mean these cars are able to run 87 and are able to adjust their timing on their own from the factory. I know my current tune is optimized for 93 but I would still think the car would be able to auto adjust, would it not? I'm not planning on trying it "just because" but I would think if all I could find was 91 it would be ok, especially N/A.

DirtyD 09-23-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMLOL (Post 51108)
I just thought of something...After reading around on other sites, shouldn't the knock sensors still adjust timing with an aftermarket tune? I read with Lund tunes that the knock sensors would still adjust the car. I mean these cars are able to run 87 and are able to adjust their timing on their own from the factory. I know my current tune is optimized for 93 but I would still think the car would be able to auto adjust, would it not? I'm not planning on trying it "just because" but I would think if all I could find was 91 it would be ok, especially N/A.

It will be on razor's edge in doing so. When you get your custom tune, ther timing is set up to run the specific fuel you specify, so that there is hardly any, if at all, work being done by the knock sensors. Everything in the tune is optimized for the car to run on a specific octane. This is why custom tunes unleash so much more power and driveability over the stock tune, that has to handle multiple octane fuels.

FastFordDriver 09-23-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 48292)

Yep, I've heard that is true.... and once you realize that Oklahoma was one of the last land masses in the Continental US to be settled then you start wondering... why did everyone bypass Oklahoma to continue west (only circling back when nothing else was left)?

The answer comes when you drive through it.

re-rx7 09-23-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastFordDriver (Post 51114)
Yep, I've heard that is true.... and once you realize that Oklahoma was one of the last land masses in the Continental US to be settled then you start wondering... why did everyone bypass Oklahoma to continue west (only circling back when nothing else was left)?

The answer comes when you drive through it.

Actually the land was supposed to be set aside for NAtive Americans. This was the reason for everyone passing through and not stopping. Oklahoma translated into Choctaw literally means "Red People".

DirtyD 09-23-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 51115)
Actually the land was supposed to be set aside for NAtive Americans. This was the reason for everyone passing through and not stopping. Oklahoma translated into Choctaw literally means "Red People".

Now it just translates into "Red Necks"...

JDMLOL 09-23-2013 10:30 AM

Im just wondering if the dealer will put any gas in my car after they diagnose my trans issue. If they do I know it will only be regular unleaded. I took it up there with better than a half tank. I doubt the dealer will put any in it but I just wonder if I should call them and tell them not to put regular if they take it for a long drive...

re-rx7 09-23-2013 10:41 AM

No gas will be added trust me.

DirtyD 09-23-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMLOL (Post 51123)
Im just wondering if the dealer will put any gas in my car after they diagnose my trans issue. If they do I know it will only be regular unleaded. I took it up there with better than a half tank. I doubt the dealer will put any in it but I just wonder if I should call them and tell them not to put regular if they take it for a long drive...

The only time a dealer will gas up your car is after you buy it. Never again should they put gas in your car for you.