Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   When racing, what RPM do you shift at? (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3003)

DirtyD 10-31-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 54853)
Yes, so far..

Well he does plan on getting the boss valve train (or pieces) soon, so I guess all is well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 54861)
The gas tank on the wrong side still bugs the shit outta me!

Luckily my F150 was that way, so it's normal for me. Haha

BERT 10-31-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 54861)
The gas tank on the wrong side still bugs the shit outta me!

Hell, I haven't even thought about that yet. But I think that's because my Ranger was on that side.

Grandpa 10-31-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 54865)
Luckily my F150 was that way, so it's normal for me. Haha

I can't tell you how many times I've pulled up to the pump on the wrong side of the car. lol

All of my foxes were on the right side, my wife's Mach is on the right and my Explorer is also on the right. So it's habit to drive up to the pump on that side.

blownaltered 10-31-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 54871)
I can't tell you how many times I've pulled up to the pump on the wrong side of the car. lol

All of my foxes were on the right side, my wife's Mach is on the right and my Explorer is also on the right. So it's habit to drive up to the pump on that side.

I always have to think when driving my fox to get gas. All my chevy trucks have had the tank on the left so I have to remember its on the right.

As for shifting I am in an old fox so my tach isn't right. My shift light goes off at 5800 but my tach is around 6600. I hope one is right. :uhoh2:

jerseyjoe 10-31-2013 10:08 PM

Agreed, coming from many foxes the speedo/tach and gas tank still have me messed up... Although i don't miss the broken armrest and ashtray door... lol

wbt 11-01-2013 03:55 AM

No need for this info.

JDMLOL 11-01-2013 08:30 AM

I typically don't look at the tac. I hadn't had the car long and I bounced it twice off the factory limiter, which I think is around 6.8k. That's because the car felt like it wanted to keep going. I kick myself every time I see the premium cluster because they light up red at the factory redline.

Quote:

I don't know if I learned this here or on one of those goofy chain emails, but on newer cars if you ever forget, the little gas pump on the dash has a triangle pointing to the side the filler is on.

I used to feel like an idiot when I put gas in my mom's Audi because it's on the right side. I usually would be at a busy gas station, get out, then get back in and turn the car around as if I didn't have a clue.

Dan12GT 11-01-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 54831)
LOL, I can relate Bert coming from Foxes as well. I've had my car longer than you have and I'm still getting used to twisting the motor to 7k. I keep expecting it to BOOM BITCH like a fox would have!

I've had a mod motor with my wife's Mach since 03, but that car has never been driven hard at all. I seriously doubt it's ever seen 6k let alone 7krpm. haha.

Quote:

Steve this is because you never drive your car :signs6::signs6:

Any who, for me since I'm on the stock tune the factory rev limiter is set at 7k so I try to shift right at 6850-6900rpms so I don't bounce off the limiter. If I see the gauge go red half the time I will screw the shift up since I don't have a lot of time before it bangs off the limiter so I try to do it right before.

Grandpa 11-01-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 55001)
Steve this is because you never drive your car :signs6::signs6:

I drive my car often, I just don't go very far. lol

KungFuHamster 11-01-2013 01:38 PM

first time at the track shifted ~6800 since the stock intake makes no power above that.

got curious, upped my shift to ~ 7300 and picked up 3 mph. So since then I shift at that rpm. But at that rpm I would be more comfortable with good oil pump gears and an ATI harmonic damper. But since I don't really race that much...meh.

wbt 11-01-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungFuHamster (Post 55003)
first time at the track shifted ~6800 since the stock intake makes no power above that.

got curious, upped my shift to ~ 7300 and picked up 3 mph. So since then I shift at that rpm. But at that rpm I would be more comfortable with good oil pump gears and an ATI harmonic damper. But since I don't really race that much...meh.

+1 on 7,300 with the stock intake.

Damper is easy enough to do and good insurance.

G-Mann 11-01-2013 11:12 PM

7300 - 7500. Car is still pulling pretty hard which makes it easy to go north of 7300.

DirtyD 11-01-2013 11:55 PM

7300 with the stock intake? Dang. I just don't feel comfortable spinning my motor that high

BERT 11-02-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 55034)
7300 with the stock intake? Dang. I just don't feel comfortable spinning my motor that high

Hell i can't spin mine that high. Found the rev limiter last night lol

STROKD 11-02-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 54831)
LOL, I can relate Bert coming from Foxes as well. I've had my car longer than you have and I'm still getting used to twisting the motor to 7k. I keep expecting it to BOOM BITCH like a fox would have!

I've had a mod motor with my wife's Mach since 03, but that car has never been driven hard at all. I seriously doubt it's ever seen 6k let alone 7krpm. haha.

I shift my fox(es) at 7100... new setup will be around 8000-8400.

Stock 5.0s no like to rev over 6200 in all honesty.

Shifted the "cone" at 7200 as well.

I had a GSR with a Dinan ECU swap in HS, I shifted it at 9000, so Im used to twisting the piss out of motors... my bike turned a little over 17000. :happy3: