Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Interior/Exterior (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Tinted tail lights (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=79)

Mustangdude72 07-18-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phuck Phace (Post 1969)
I have an extra pair of tails if anyone needs to borrow them for tinting.
Here mine is.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6..._891_edit0.jpg

WOW me like..alot

Joe Wicked 07-19-2012 06:12 AM

Looks good. I would like to do mine, but I gotta do some other stuff first.

89gt-stanger 09-16-2012 12:40 PM

Is anyone running their lights tinted, but without having the reverse lights tinted? It's a pain in the ass parking at night with no reverse camera and tinted windows as it is.

Grandpa 09-16-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger (Post 5014)
Is anyone running their lights tinted, but without having the reverse lights tinted? It's a pain in the ass parking at night with no reverse camera and tinted windows as it is.

Jeff has some kinda tail lights that are pretty dark, but his reverse lights are bright as hell.

Phuck Phace 09-16-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger (Post 5014)

The bright reverse LEDs offset the dark tint. It's not hard to see at all at night.

Midnight11 09-16-2012 03:26 PM

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/IMG_0652.jpg

Cabikejumper 09-25-2012 08:25 PM

A guy in corral.net also tints tail lights with great results.

Taxman 09-26-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 932)
Have any of you been stopped for having them?

I got stopped for tinted headlights.

The trooper told me that they changed the law and technically your taillights or your headlights cannot be tinted at all. At the inspection place they said the same thing...

but it's just a ticket and my car looks sick with them. LOL

DirtyD 09-26-2012 02:06 AM

Last I heard they still had the required "visible from x feet" behind and in front of the vehicle.

Now most vehicles have built in reflector in the tail lights, and when they tint the tails, reflectors are useless, making them illegal. This may be something they are trying to corner.

03MachMe 09-26-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 5809)
Last I heard they still had the required "visible from x feet" behind and in front of the vehicle.

Now most vehicles have built in reflector in the tail lights, and when they tint the tails, reflectors are useless, making them illegal. This may be something they are trying to corner.

this is true for Texas Traffic Code. Taillights must be visible from 300ft and "be and or reflect red". and if the reflectors no longer reflect then yes it is illegal. Now some cities may see if differently than I do and if anyone gets a ticket for it I would like to know which part of the traffic code they exactly wrote the ticket from. The way the Texas Traffic and Penal code are written can be interpreted differently by each officer.

however the federal traffic code states that you may not alter the visibility of your taillights at all so any tint would be illegal by federal guidelines.

with that being said I dont know a single cop that has written a ticket from the federal traffic code but it is probable cause for a stop. Now I also had mine tinted on my Mach for over 3 years and never got pulled over for it a single time. was pulled over numerous times but never had it mentioned to me so take that for what it is worth.

so basically they are an easy way to get hassled by the police but the odds of getting a ticket for that alone and your not doing anything else I would say are pretty slim. Just have to decide if you want to give the police a reason to pull you over every time you drive your car

DirtyD 09-26-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 5825)
this is true for Texas Traffic Code. Taillights must be visible from 300ft and "be and or reflect red". and if the reflectors no longer reflect then yes it is illegal. Now some cities may see if differently than I do and if anyone gets a ticket for it I would like to know which part of the traffic code they exactly wrote the ticket from. The way the Texas Traffic and Penal code are written can be interpreted differently by each officer.

however the federal traffic code states that you may not alter the visibility of your taillights at all so any tint would be illegal by federal guidelines.

with that being said I dont know a single cop that has written a ticket from the federal traffic code but it is probable cause for a stop. Now I also had mine tinted on my Mach for over 3 years and never got pulled over for it a single time. was pulled over numerous times but never had it mentioned to me so take that for what it is worth.

so basically they are an easy way to get hassled by the police but the odds of getting a ticket for that alone and your not doing anything else I would say are pretty slim. Just have to decide if you want to give the police a reason to pull you over every time you drive your car

Ryan, are you an LEO? We need to make a section for you like on SVTP. :D

03MachMe 09-26-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 5852)
Ryan, are you an LEO? We need to make a section for you like on SVTP. :D

Maybe.....:hidesbehindsofa:

Grandpa 09-26-2012 01:34 PM

I was wondering when i saw the haircut and looking for donuts on the menu. Lol

Very cool if you are a cop! :)

03MachMe 09-26-2012 01:50 PM

haha yea its always mixed when people on a car forum hear im a cop lol

Grandpa 09-26-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 5869)
haha yea its always mixed when people on a car forum hear im a cop lol

No worries my friend. You may get some friendly razzing about it, but there wont be any serious hating allowed to go on. If someone wants "ftp" threads, they know exactly what board to go to for that nonsense. Lol.