Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Pics & Video (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   2015 z06 (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3514)

Grandpa 01-24-2014 09:33 AM

Im taking donations for daily bans... ;)

DirtyD 01-24-2014 10:16 AM

:popcorn::popcorn:

Dominic Toretto 01-24-2014 10:25 AM

Anyway back on topic, I'm betting Chevy makes a convertible version. Since the 911 is their target and the Turbo is available as a ragtop, only makes sense.

-Alex

DirtyD 01-24-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62193)
Anyway back on topic, I'm betting Chevy makes a convertible version. Since the 911 is their target and the Turbo is available as a ragtop, only makes sense.

-Alex

The Z06 won't be a convertible. It defeats the purpose of the car. In order to strengthen the chassis and make it as rigid as the HT version, it would have to undergo some serious weight gain from a stronger substructure. Plus it's a safety concern.

Dan12GT 01-24-2014 10:44 AM

I'd like to see it as a targa top!

Dominic Toretto 01-24-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 62195)
The Z06 won't be a convertible. It defeats the purpose of the car. In order to strengthen the chassis and make it as rigid as the HT version, it would have to undergo some serious weight gain from a stronger substructure. Plus it's a safety concern.

In all honesty I hope you are right. I hope it doesn't become a convertible but, it's definitely possible and wouldn't be difficult at all to do. All existing hardware already exists to make it happen. Just a matter of choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 62196)
I'd like to see it as a targa top!

It is a targa top. The roof is removable on the C7ZO6 :) and about time if you ask me. It's 20% more rigid with the panel off than the outgoing ZO6 and 60% more rigid with the panel in place.

-Alex

Dan12GT 01-24-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62197)
In all honesty I hope you are right. I hope it doesn't become a convertible but, it's definitely possible and wouldn't be difficult at all to do. All existing hardware already exists to make it happen. Just a matter of choice.

It is a targa top. The roof is removable on the C7ZO6 :) and about time if you ask me. It's 20% more rigid with the panel off than the outgoing ZO6 and 60% more rigid with the panel in place.

-Alex

Ah okay that's what I thought I got from the video.

DirtyD 01-24-2014 11:01 AM

I just think they would have to revisit too much rigidity on the subframe itself to make it worth while. There is a reason why convertibles typically have a couple hundred pounds of extra fat over hard tops.

Grandpa 01-24-2014 11:16 AM

After the dismal sales of the 427 convertible, I seriously doubt GM would entertain a convertible Z06 anyways especially since they are already in so much financial trouble to start with.

Dominic Toretto 01-24-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 62202)
I just think they would have to revisit too much rigidity on the subframe itself to make it worth while. There is a reason why convertibles typically have a couple hundred pounds of extra fat over hard tops.

It would be heavier yes just not out of the realm of possibility. Many people thought that a targa ZO6 wouldn't happen and it did and is stronger than the hardtop ZO6. That's a telltale sign right there. But you and I are on the same page, I hope it doesn't happen.

Financially it makes sense though, as people have been wanting one. This new ZO6 should sell greatly. The performance, looks are as to be expected and nothing short of phenomenal. But the fact that you can get one with a targa and auto is going to seal the deal for increased sales.

-Alex

re-rx7 01-24-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62206)
especially since they are already in so much financial trouble to start with.

Bingo and its gonna get worse when the new f150 Debuts. Also Porsche IMO buikds the best cars in the world. Period.

Grandpa 01-24-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62207)
Financially it makes sense though, as people have been wanting one. This new ZO6 should sell greatly. The performance, looks are as to be expected and nothing short of phenomenal. But the fact that you can get one with a targa and auto is going to seal the deal for increased sales.

-Alex

I agree. With all of the retiring baby boomers with expendable income, it's a good time for the Z06 to go partially topless with a well performing auto. GM is well aware their main demographic for NEW Z06 purchases are males over 50 years of age. Most of them are the show and shine types. It's when the cars are a year or two old the younger performance crowd gets a hold of them.

Grandpa 01-24-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 62209)
Bingo and its gonna get worse when the new f150 Debuts. Also Porsche IMO buikds the best cars in the world. Period.

The F150 has nothing to do with the Z06. Two different markets entirely.

re-rx7 01-24-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62213)
The F150 has nothing to do with the Z06. Two different markets entirely.

But it does. Detroit Automakers depend on trucks for the profit the companies make. W/o profit there can no development. What little profit Gm is making is not going toward a niche market. I wouldnt be surprised to see Gm in the shitter in under a decade.

STROKD 01-24-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62212)
I agree. With all of the retiring baby boomers with expendable income, it's a good time for the Z06 to go partially topless with a well performing auto. GM is well aware their main demographic for NEW Z06 purchases are males over 50 years of age. Most of them are the show and shine types. It's when the cars are a year or two old the younger performance crowd gets a hold of them.

Thats my pop's... minus the show and shine types. I had his 05 down the track at 501 miles and on the dyno the next week. lol both his idea.

Grandpa 01-24-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 62215)
But it does. Detroit Automakers depend on trucks for the profit the companies make. W/o profit there can no development. What little profit Gm is making is not going toward a niche market. I wouldnt be surprised to see Gm in the shitter in under a decade.

One has nothing to do with the other. Someone shopping for a sports car isn't going to consider a F150 and vice versa. The government will not let GM fail no matter how much they threaten to let it do so.

03MachMe 01-24-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62217)
One has nothing to do with the other. Someone shopping for a sports car isn't going to consider a F150 and vice versa. The government will not let GM fail no matter how much they threaten to let it do so.

He is not saying they are the same market. He is saying the new f150 will affect the overall profits of gm. Thus affecting the future of cars such as the z

re-rx7 01-24-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62217)

The profit from those trucks selling allows GM to invest money in the development of the Vette. Im not saying anything about one shopping for the other. When Gm starts selling less trucks, then less will be invested on lower selling vehicles and more on high volume. Apparently the new Shelby will be close to 700hp as well from what Ive been reading with a couple of Turbines.

Grandpa 01-24-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 62221)
Apparently the new Shelby will be close to 700hp as well from what Ive been reading with a couple of Turbines.

From what I have read, there will not be another Shelby GT500. There will be one last Shelby GT model and then Ford is done with the Shelby name. What I'm gathering is that SVT will be putting something out directly, perhaps the "King Cobra" or something to that affect. As for a TT car, that rumor started with the Cobra Jet being a TT car but from talking to the engineers from Ford at SEMA, they had no plans of putting a TT kit in any V8 Mustang for mass production.

DirtyD 01-24-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 62220)
He is not saying they are the same market. He is saying the new f150 will affect the overall profits of gm. Thus affecting the future of cars such as the z

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 62221)
The profit from those trucks selling allows GM to invest money in the development of the Vette. Im not saying anything about one shopping for the other. When Gm starts selling less trucks, then less will be invested on lower selling vehicles and more on high volume. Apparently the new Shelby will be close to 700hp as well from what Ive been reading with a couple of Turbines.

Bingo.

Plus the new F150 is going to be a big deal to see how an aluminum bodied truck will do in the real market, and could really put a hurting on GM trucks.

DirtyD 01-24-2014 12:18 PM

Shelby will continue to make cars. But it won't be in direct collaboration with Ford. It would be like the old days. You buy a Mustang, and then take it to Shelby to have it worked over.

The GT350 will be a beast if Shelby does it right.

Grandpa 01-24-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 62224)
Bingo.

Plus the new F150 is going to be a big deal to see how an aluminum bodied truck will do in the real market, and could really put a hurting on GM trucks.

That is a good point. The CEO of Ford mentioned eventually their whole line of cars will eventually be aluminum bodied including the Mustang!

re-rx7 01-24-2014 12:29 PM

The new F150 will be a great truck. There really isnt a choice do to the upcoming fuel compliance. Its the only way you can meet the MPG and keep the towing. Thats why GM screwed the pooch. They lost maybe 100lbs on the new truck. The company avg has to be 30 mpg. Thats why they are coming back out with the COlorado and other BS to try and compensate.

Dominic Toretto 01-24-2014 01:11 PM

Okay I need you guys to educate me. I don't follow trucks. So Ford is building complete truck chassis from aluminum instead of steel?

-Alex

Grandpa 01-24-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62242)
Okay I need you guys to educate me. I don't follow trucks. So Ford is building complete truck chassis from aluminum instead of steel?

-Alex

No, the body is going to be aluminum therefor greatly reducing the weight of the trucks.

Dominic Toretto 01-24-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62243)
No, the body is going to be aluminum therefor greatly reducing the weight of the trucks.

Thus increasing fuel economy. Ah gotcha.

How would that effect truck costs? I'm guessing increase but, not sure how much especially since a manufacturer can get raw materials in bulk.

-Alex

DirtyD 01-24-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62248)

How would that effect truck costs? I'm guessing increase but, not sure how much especially since a manufacturer can get raw materials in bulk.

-Alex

Cost is going to go up, the the new truck is going to be lightyears ahead of even the current model, so IMO, the cost is warranted.

STROKD 01-24-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62243)

And increasing the profits for pdr people! I would never have an all al car outside in the spring time. It hailed 6 times at my house last May-June. Fiberglass Corvettes ftw!

re-rx7 01-24-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62248)

-Alex

Aluminum is actually cheape rthen steel from what ive read.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 62252)
Cost is going to go up, the the new truck is going to be lightyears ahead of even the current model, so IMO, the cost is warranted.

Even if you are exactly right.

DirtyD 01-24-2014 01:51 PM

This is likely going to be aircraft grade aluminum, so it won't be cheaper.

Grandpa 01-24-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 62270)
This is likely going to be aircraft grade aluminum, so it won't be cheaper.

Correct. The CEO of Ford is a former director at NASA. It's the same aluminum used on the shuttles. It goes through a different process which makes it very durable unlike the traditional soft bendy type aluminum used on the old school original Cobras.

Crimson600+HP 01-24-2014 02:43 PM

High grade good old USA Alcoa Akuminum from what I hear.

BERT 01-24-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 62057)
Your mom doesnt know what a dump truck sounds like. A Mustang sounds zero like a Viper (or UPS/ dump truck). Heh

No shit

BERT 01-24-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62050)
Vipers sound like UPS trucks.

These new 5.0's sound like boats burbling in the water at idle. I really wish my car sounded like the wife's Mach. Can't stand the way these 5.0's sound.

Then sell it

blownaltered 01-24-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT (Post 62301)
Then sell it

No he just wants to bitch about it for the next fucking decade :nono:

Grandpa 01-24-2014 08:30 PM

Im going to tell every person around us at the event just how badass your triangle is and you could whip everyone there.

NZERO21 01-24-2014 08:42 PM

For that money I could easily get the Ferrari F430. Hands Down!

blownaltered 01-24-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62333)
Im going to tell every person around us at the event just how badass your triangle is and you could whip everyone there.

You tell all them drunk bastards. I will just have to unleash some fat fu on them. :boxing:

Dominic Toretto 01-24-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZERO21 (Post 62334)
For that money I could easily get the Ferrari F430. Hands Down!

Is maintenance on a Ferrari similar to a Chevy price wise?

-Alex

blownaltered 01-24-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62347)
Is maintenance on a Ferrari similar to a Chevy price wise?

-Alex

Who cars it's a Ferrari. Let's face it people that can afford 100k cars don't really worry about maintenance cost.