Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Saturday night recap (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2468)

46Tbird 08-19-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 46097)
I own one of each. I'll take an auto over a stick anyday at the track.

Totally agree. And the potential in the new 6As is astounding. But I do more than drag race my car, and I would be way too bored with a slushbox in my daily commute.

I didn't realize you still have your M6 car. Do you ever do anything with it anymore?

wbt 08-19-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT (Post 46119)
Actually no DS loop. Damnit Tim

Open your checkbook and start buying:

1. Dual disc clutch with flywheel
2. D/S loop
3. Rear end girdle with bearing cap support
4. Axle tube brace
5. Adjustable upper control arm and mount (set pinion angle)
6. Lower control arms and relo brackets
7. Hardened axles
8. Upgraded differential
9. A good shifter with tail housing bracket.

These are mods you should have done before spending all that money on the motor work. More power means nothing if you can't reliably get it to the ground.

wbt 08-19-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46Tbird (Post 46121)
Totally agree. And the potential in the new 6As is astounding. But I do more than drag race my car, and I would be way too bored with a slushbox in my daily commute.

I didn't realize you still have your M6 car. Do you ever do anything with it anymore?

I traded that in on my auto. My wife's 2013 is a MT-82 car. That is what she wanted and she prefers a stick over an auto.

OG Fox 08-19-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 46123)
I traded that in on my auto. My wife's 2013 is a MT-82 car. That is what she wanted and she prefers a stick over an auto.

sounds like she's a keeper

blownaltered 08-19-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 46122)
Open your checkbook and start buying:

1. Dual disc clutch with flywheel
2. D/S loop
3. Rear end girdle with bearing cap support
4. Axle tube brace
5. Adjustable upper control arm and mount (set pinion angle)
6. Lower control arms and relo brackets
7. Hardened axles
8. Upgraded differential
9. A good shifter with tail housing bracket.

These are mods you should have done before spending all that money on the motor work. More power means nothing if you can't reliably get it to the ground.

Damn all I'm missing is the drive shaft loop.

wbt 08-19-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OG Fox (Post 46128)
sounds like she's a keeper

Yessir. 19 years next Feb. :)

Her past car list:

2010 Mustang GT - m6
2010 GT500 - m6
2010 Challenger - a5
2012 Charger - a8
2013 Roush - m6

JDBishopArts 08-19-2013 05:42 PM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7337/9...8632d35c45.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2861/9...6a52effd_z.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/9...05cec4e9_o.jpg

Doug1227 08-19-2013 06:05 PM

lol

Luke 08-19-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug1227 (Post 46113)
I can sip coffee AND downshift from 5th to 2nd in 1/4 of a second from a 40 roll.....what's more fun than THAT on the street! LMAO!

Agreed! Like I've said before, when you're sitting in stop and go traffic, it's nice to be able to nap on the way home.

poopypie218 08-19-2013 06:16 PM

why no one tell me that sat night was track night?!?! i wanna run the pretty much stock fox lol

Midnight11 08-19-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopypie218 (Post 46145)
why no one tell me that sat night was track night?!?! i wanna run the pretty much stock fox lol

It was posted pretty much everywhere

blownaltered 08-19-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopypie218 (Post 46145)

my fox is pretty much stock :hidesbehindsofa:

Toby 08-19-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 46056)
It would have run better times with an auto.

Oh with out a doubt! Anyone that denies an auto is faster at the track is delusional. Jeff has a shifter, one piece ds, mcloud dual disc clutch with aluminum flywheel. Honestly the only mods to suspension he has done, is a set of springs, which arguably are hurting more then helping. He needs to address control arms, brackets, shocks and getting them dialed in before he tries to hit the track again. With the same tires he was running, him learning how to leave the line and those suspension mods will surprise everyone...

kdanner 08-19-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT (Post 46112)
You don't worry about my history. And I have a one piece DS and that's it as far as the driveline goes.

I can tell you from experience with wbt's manual car, when he finally put slicks on it instead of ET streets, it broke the driver side axle on the very first hit, the car didn't even move. So I'd be buying some axles if I were you. Do it up right, put 9" ends on the housing like mine, much nicer to deal with than c clip eliminators.

Midnight11 08-19-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 46154)
Oh with out a doubt! Anyone that denies an auto is faster at the track is delusional. Jeff has a shifter, one piece ds, mcloud dual disc clutch with aluminum flywheel. Honestly the only mods to suspension he has done, is a set of springs, which arguably are hurting more then helping. He needs to address control arms, brackets, shocks and getting them dialed in before he tries to hit the track again. With the same tires he was running, him learning how to leave the line and those suspension mods will surprise everyone...

He was on stock springs. Gary changed them Friday

Toby 08-19-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight11 (Post 46168)
He was on stock springs. Gary changed them Friday

Oh really? well shit he was bone stock suspension then... man this guy needs some suspension!!! haha

Doug1227 08-19-2013 07:38 PM

I was on Sportlines and 19" MT's.....

Toby 08-19-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug1227 (Post 46171)
I was on Sportlines and 19" MT's.....

With an auto car that does not instantly hit the tires with the drop of the clutch. Manual cars take a good driver, with a good setup to work right. Hince all the bolt on cars that nite running mid to bottom 12's at 116+ mph... That mph is good for mid 11's...

J.Shoot 08-19-2013 08:17 PM

What everyone wants to drive is a personal choice. I personally wanted a Boss 302 and a stick is what you get. I like driving my car. I love the control of having a stick as well the potential headaches that can come with it. I have taken steps to make my car as safe and reliable as possible but let's face it, things break as long as you are pounding on your car. You make enough passes, or run enough times, something will break eventually.
We have nearly 50 launches on a track in this car and thankfully have not had any major problems. We have however, continued to make improvements and take safety measures as HP has increased.
Not taking sides, auto vs. manual, just making a point that it is all about preference and stick is what I enjoy driving.
Just ask the auto GTR and auto Trans Am that I politely schooled Saturday night. :)
If you have raced long enough, you know that there is always someone faster. That is why we do this...we keep going back for more HP. That is what keeps us going and keeps guys like TS in business :)
I know there are faster cars out there than mine, but I love what I have, and had a blast seeing what it would do on the 1/4 mile track. Each time I make a pass, I learn something else about my car. BTW, I only launch at 5K, not 6.

wbt 08-19-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 46169)
Oh really? well shit he was bone stock suspension then... man this guy needs some suspension!!! haha

I am still running stock shocks, struts and OEM springs. ;)

But yeah, he needs to beef his driveline up more before dropping the hammer at 6K on slicks.

wbt 08-19-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Shoot (Post 46185)
What everyone wants to drive is a personal choice. I personally wanted a Boss 302 and a stick is what you get. I like driving my car. I love the control of having a stick as well the potential headaches that can come with it. I have taken steps to make my car as safe and reliable as possible but let's face it, things break as long as you are pounding on your car. You make enough passes, or run enough times, something will break eventually.
We have nearly 50 launches on a track in this car and thankfully have not had any major problems. We have however, continued to make improvements and take safety measures as HP has increased.
Not taking sides, auto vs. manual, just making a point that it is all about preference and stick is what I enjoy driving.
Just ask the auto GTR and auto Trans Am that I politely schooled Saturday night. :)
If you have raced long enough, you know that there is always someone faster. That is why we do this...we keep going back for more HP. That is what keeps us going and keeps guys like TS in business :)
I know there are faster cars out there than mine, but I love what I have, and had a blast seeing what it would do on the 1/4 mile track. Each time I make a pass, I learn something else about my car. BTW, I only launch at 5K, not 6.

That is what it's all about, enjoying what you like to do. I didn't get a chance to see your car run but heard good things about it.

On the manual trans stuff, I just hate to see stuff break when it doesn't have to. It is relatively expensive to get the driveline up to snuff but makes for a safer, more reliable car. It also gives you room to grow with power.

Most build their cars from front back vs. back to front and hopefully with some shared experience everyone can enjoy their cars how they were meant to be.

This clip shows my driver side axle breaking on launch using a full slick:

DirtyD 08-20-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 46209)
That is what it's all about, enjoying what you like to do. I didn't get a chance to see your car run but heard good things about it.

On the manual trans stuff, I just hate to see stuff break when it doesn't have to. It is relatively expensive to get the driveline up to snuff but makes for a safer, more reliable car. It also gives you room to grow with power.

Most build their cars from front back vs. back to front and hopefully with some shared experience everyone can enjoy their cars how they were meant to be.

This clip shows my driver side axle breaking on launch using a full slick:

The ET streets are the DOT slick, right? I've always heard that manuals need to go with something other than DRs, because they are too stiff to take the drivetrain shock.

Junkie 08-20-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 46222)
The ET streets are the DOT slick, right? I've always heard that manuals need to go with something other than DRs, because they are too stiff to take the drivetrain shock.

A slick when wrinkle and collapse a bit, it absorbs the shock and will help preserve driveline parts with an aggressive manual trans launch. In my experience anyway.

wbt 08-20-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 46222)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkie (Post 46225)
A slick when wrinkle and collapse a bit, it absorbs the shock and will help preserve driveline parts with an aggressive manual trans launch. In my experience anyway.

This was the first time at the track with a full Hoosier bias ply slick slick on the car. 28x10x15. When I launched it hit the tires, they stuck, and the axle said, "I am getting a beer, this is BS.". First run of the night, first hit, then back on the trailer. :P

Prior to this I was using ET Street bias ply tires on 8" rims.

DirtyD 08-20-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkie (Post 46225)

That's my understanding of it too.

DirtyD 08-20-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 46230)
This was the first time at the track with a full Hoosier bias ply slick slick on the car. 28x10x15. When I launched it hit the tires, they stuck, and the axle said, "I am getting a beer, this is BS.". First run of the night, first hit, then back on the trailer. :P

Prior to this I was using ET Street bias ply tires on 8" rims.

So the ET streets are a good tire for someone like myself to get for track use on a manual?

Oxford14Stang 08-20-2013 12:54 AM

Okay finally read all the posts I missed lol. Back to the stock tire guys. I had lowered my psi to 20. I've tried 32psi(what I run on the streets) and was terrible. 20psi seems to be a decent psi. I'll try 25 next time. With my setup, cai/bama race tune, 3.55 gears axlebacks. I was running consistent 13.1s spinning 1st and getting sideways in second. Couldn't seem to stop it. Had traction in third for once(that I've been fighting at Northstar) trapped 113

DirtyD 08-20-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 46233)
Okay finally read all the posts I missed lol. Back to the stock tire guys. I had lowered my psi to 20. I've tried 32psi(what I run on the streets) and was terrible. 20psi seems to be a decent psi. I'll try 25 next time. With my setup, cai/bama race tune, 3.55 gears axlebacks. I was running consistent 13.1s spinning 1st and getting sideways in second. Couldn't seem to stop it. Had traction in third for once(that I've been fighting at Northstar) trapped 113

I think I should've gone lower on my PSI as well, but oh well.

STROKD 08-20-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 46232)
So the ET streets are a good tire for someone like myself to get for track use on a manual?

Quick Time Pro. BAD ass tires, I hooked on the street and track with them with a stick and over 700 rw. lasted about 5-6k miles too which is better than a drag radial. They are DOT legal for street use, even though Hoosier says not to use them on the highway.:jester:

wbt 08-20-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 46232)

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 46235)
Quick Time Pro. BAD ass tires, I hooked on the street and track with them with a stick and over 700 rw. lasted about 5-6k miles too which is better than a drag radial. They are DOT legal for street use, even though Hoosier says not to use them on the highway.:jester:

Sure. Either one of those tires would be fine for a manual trans car.

Run a 10" wide rim with a 28x11.50-15 sized tire. I would start at 14psi. on the track and go from there.

If you drive with them on the street I would run about 25psi. If it rains do not drive on them.

BTW - I used to be a MT guy for years. IMO I think Hoosier makes a better tire today.

STROKD 08-20-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 46236)
Sure. Either one of those tires would be fine for a manual trans car.

Run a 10" wide rim with a 28x11.50-15 sized tire. I would start at 14psi. on the track and go from there.

If you drive with them on the street I would run about 25psi. If it rains do not drive on them.

BTW - I used to be a MT guy for years. IMO I think Hoosier makes a better tire today.

yep, i ran a 15x10 with a 28x11.50... fit perfect, very little walk at speed, had them over 180 on the highway a few times...:angels2: I ran 20-22 on the street (18 when I was racing) and 12-15 at the track depending on the heat in the track and prep. Never had to go below 12 hot, it would start biting REAL well at 12 if it needed to go that low.

Oxford14Stang 08-20-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 46234)
I think I should've gone lower on my PSI as well, but oh well.

Yeah, well I'm going to be going to Northstar, not this Friday, but next. Get a little more seat time. Join if you'd like.

DirtyD 08-21-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 46358)
Yeah, well I'm going to be going to Northstar, not this Friday, but next. Get a little more seat time. Join if you'd like.

Would, but Stephanie has her surgery so I will likely be helping her.

wbt, will my 3.55s pose any issues with the 28" tire? I assume not since that will just move me into a slightly lower RPM in 4th through the traps.

wbt 08-21-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 46373)
Would, but Stephanie has her surgery so I will likely be helping her.

wbt, will my 3.55s pose any issues with the 28" tire? I assume not since that will just move me into a slightly lower RPM in 4th through the traps.

It's not optimal but not as bad as running a 4.10 where you would be shifting into 5th. 3.73 would be best with a stock intake and 28" tire. 3.55 isn't a bad gear to run with your combo.

DirtyD 08-21-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 46376)
It's not optimal but not as bad as running a 4.10 where you would be shifting into 5th. 3.73 would be best with a stock intake and 28" tire. 3.55 isn't a bad gear to run with your combo.

Would a 37" tire be better suited for the slight taller gears? Should only be a difference in ~400-500 RPM, I think. Would have to do the math.

wbt 08-21-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 46378)
Would a 37" tire be better suited for the slight taller gears? Should only be a difference in ~400-500 RPM, I think. Would have to do the math.

Well, a 37" probably wouldn't fit but a 27" tire with a 3.55 is pretty close to a 3.73 with a 28" tire. :)

BLK2012GT 08-21-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 46378)

So you got a 6" lift on your stang?:hidesbehindsofa:

DirtyD 08-21-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 46384)
Well, a 37" probably wouldn't fit but a 27" tire with a 3.55 is pretty close to a 3.73 with a 28" tire. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT (Post 46385)
So you got a 6" lift on your stang?:hidesbehindsofa:

Cursed fat fingers and an iPhone. Haha

Yeah, a 27" tire is what I meant. I'll definitely look into a 27x10.5x15 (I think that's the correct size). Thanks

STROKD 08-21-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 46392)
Cursed fat fingers and an iPhone. Haha

Yeah, a 27" tire is what I meant. I'll definitely look into a 27x10.5x15 (I think that's the correct size). Thanks

Yep, Hoosier makes the Quick Time Pro in that size, 27x11.5x15.

DirtyD 08-21-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 46459)
Yep, Hoosier makes the Quick Time Pro in that size, 27x11.5x15.

:D!