Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Cobra Jet Intake and Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body has been ordered! (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2689)

wbt 09-14-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 49954)
I agree with you. Like I said havn't seen these motors fail but that doesn't mean it wont lol. IMO they can handle it. They can take one hell of a beating no doubt, but for those who really know me would be the first to tell you I've got some of the worst luck out there, so I personally won't push it beyond 7k which is my shift point. As far as Pypes, why pypes if you dont mind me asking, just wanting your insight and any info i can get from you, thanks.

1. Pypes are the only stepped header for these cars. 1 3/4" to 1 7/8".
2. They have the correct primary to collector firing order placement.
3. They fit very well and tuck nicely.

I think they have had a bad rap in the past but on the 2011+ 5.0 they are at the top for design, fit and quality. You don't have to donate a kidney to buy a set either.

TrueStreetTim 09-14-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

how much more are we talking about?
Sounds like we will all find out soon. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 49974)
Thanks guys for all the answers and time. sorry if i'm confusing/bugging the hell out of u or just thinking way too much about the topic, just wanted opinions from people with more experiences on the topic and who've seen the setups.

DFW50's always delivers. :happy107:

downtime! 09-14-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 49971)
Well that's exactly the answer I was looking for. So because I plan to go turbo in a year or so but will be n/a for now the 1 7/8 won't be over kill or cost me any power loss? as the 1 3/4 would be great for N/A regardless.

So, knowing full well that you intend to go turbo, you would still buy and install parts that will instantly become useless when you fulfill your plans? The factory exhaust is plenty efficient on these cars, and wouldn't be a hindrance to making power until you get well up into the big numbers. Actually, the same could be said for the intake system as well. I know several mid 11 second cars that still use the stock airbox and headers.

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbt (Post 49975)
1. Pypes are the only stepped header for these cars. 1 3/4" to 1 7/8".
2. They have the correct primary to collector firing order placement.
3. They fit very well and tuck nicely.

I think they have had a bad rap in the past but on the 2011+ 5.0 they are at the top for design, fit and quality. You don't have to donate a kidney to buy a set either.

That's man, something I just may have to consider looking into :)

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 49977)
So, knowing full well that you intend to go turbo, you would still buy and install parts that will instantly become useless when you fulfill your plans? The factory exhaust is plenty efficient on these cars, and wouldn't be a hindrance to making power until you get well up into the big numbers. Actually, the same could be said for the intake system as well. I know several mid 11 second cars that still use the stock airbox and headers.

Yes and no? I dont know how to really explain my dumb thoughts or why i even plan to waste the money. I want/plan to go turbo. key word being want. doesn't really mean i will you know? anything can happen. as for now I'm willing to spend the money to buy the parts that will make the car faster/more fun to drive while i'm still far away from ever going turboed. That's why I was asking. I have always lived by the old saying "torque wins races and horsepower sells cars." so at the moment keeping my tq as close to my hp is my main objective. as for install, i work at a ford dealership in the shop and have well over 15k in tools installing/removing isn't an issue. and I can always pull off parts and sell them used and try to get back as much as i can

downtime! 09-14-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 49982)
Yes and no? I dont know how to really explain my dumb thoughts or why i even plan to waste the money. I want/plan to go turbo. key word being want. doesn't really mean i will you know? anything can happen. as for now I'm willing to spend the money to buy the parts that will make the car faster/more fun to drive while i'm still far away from ever going turboed. That's why I was asking. I have always lived by the old saying "torque wins races and horsepower sells cars." so at the moment keeping my tq as close to my hp is my main objective. as for install, i work at a ford dealership in the shop and have well over 15k in tools installing/removing isn't an issue. and I can always pull off parts and sell them used and try to get back as much as i can

I understand the logic, but more money has been wasted buying uneeded parts than probably anything else. It's nice to have a plan and stick to it, although I never have either!

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 49993)
I understand the logic, but more money has been wasted buying uneeded parts than probably anything else. It's nice to have a plan and stick to it, although I never have either!

haha i hear you on that man! obviously headers in general will provide better gains it all just boils down to do you want to spend the money for this "x" amount of gains. There's so much money wasted in unneeded parts when people sell cars/trade them in too lol

downtime! 09-14-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 49995)
haha i hear you on that man! obviously headers in general will provide better gains it all just boils down to do you want to spend the money for this "x" amount of gains. There's so much money wasted in unneeded parts when people sell cars/trade them in too lol

Headers are probably the worst offenders though, especially for these cars. The 10-12 hp gain isn't worth the cost at all in my opinion, unless you going with a max effort N/A build and need those last few ponies.

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 49997)
Headers are probably the worst offenders though, especially for these cars. The 10-12 hp gain isn't worth the cost at all in my opinion, unless you going with a max effort N/A build and need those last few ponies.

falling back onto that goal again. 420-425ish hp and as much tq to that as possible. just want a fun street car that I can lay into and have a blast with the few trips out to the track. wheels/tire/driveshaft first though.

Grandpa 09-14-2013 08:00 PM

I don't think Oxford seems to understand you don't use your standard headers for a turbo application rather than using turbo headers that are meant for the kit.

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 50001)
I don't think Oxford seems to understand you don't use your standard headers for a turbo application rather than using turbo headers that are meant for the kit.

I understand that. I'm just saying if/when i buy headers once/if i go turbo they're now pointless to me. I thought I said that before no?

Grandpa 09-14-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 50003)
I understand that. I'm just saying if/when i buy headers once/if i go turbo they're now pointless to me. I thought I said that before no?

Ok, just wanted to be clear. If a kit is still awhile off for you, then I see no problem getting another set of headers for your NA set up. You can find lots of people selling some used headers in nice condition for a reasonable price and run them until you switch.

I can understand why some might think that buying some longtubes may not worth the money for them if all they care about is just making more power. But you get more than more power, you also get a nice deeper tone in your exhaust note and pick a few top end MPH as well.

Is 10-15hp worth it? Maybe, maybe not. That's up to you and what is important to YOU.

downtime! 09-14-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 50000)
falling back onto that goal again. 420-425ish hp and as much tq to that as possible. just want a fun street car that I can lay into and have a blast with the few trips out to the track. wheels/tire/driveshaft first though.

My car made more than that with the stock headers.

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 08:36 PM

Exactly what I plan to do. I'll buy used if I have cash on hand.. generally I let my credit tale care of the goodies lol

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 50008)
My car made more than that with the stock headers.

Hmm that's interesting. A freak? Lol

downtime! 09-14-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 50010)

Not at all. Plenty of cars out there making more than mine did before the blower. 435 with stock exhaust, long tubes were worth exactly 10 on my car. If I wouldn't have gotten a sweet deal on them, they would never have made their way on to the car.

Yagermeister 09-14-2013 08:45 PM

Jalal I believe Johnathan has his custom headers for sale :)

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 08:54 PM

Yeah I saw that lol. Just $ seems to always be tight with me. Like I told Steve my credit normally buys the goodies and get paid off that way

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 50012)
Not at all. Plenty of cars out there making more than mine did before the blower. 435 with stock exhaust, long tubes were worth exactly 10 on my car. If I wouldn't have gotten a sweet deal on them, they would never have made their way on to the car.

U dynoed 435 with just a tune? U say stock exhaust.. not much left to bolt on

Grandpa 09-14-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 50010)

My car makes 416rw with nothing more than an H pipe and a tune.

re-rx7 09-14-2013 09:22 PM

Generous dyno.

downtime! 09-14-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 50019)
U dynoed 435 with just a tune? U say stock exhaust.. not much left to bolt on

JLT CAI, and Pypes muffler deletes are all I had on the car at the time. For the record, the car made 415 in that configuration and running the VMP canned tune. The custom tune brought it up to 435.

Yagermeister 09-14-2013 10:29 PM

Downtime good numbers! Were your numbers SAE or STD?

downtime! 09-14-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yagermeister (Post 50031)
Downtime good numbers! Were your numbers SAE or STD?

SAE on Gearheads old dyno (or the original dyno, hell, the new one may be old too!).

downtime! 09-14-2013 10:43 PM

And just for the record, for all you guys thinking about a blower of some sort, my car in N/A form was an absolute blast to drive everyday. Even with my bad shoulder, it could rip off mid 11's (my best was 11.60 at 119). You could jump in, twist the key and go anywhere at anytime. Blown cars can still do that, to an extent, but it's still not the same. Much more of an "effort" to road trip a blown car.

Grandpa 09-14-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 50034)
And just for the record, for all you guys thinking about a blower of some sort, my car in N/A form was an absolute blast to drive everyday. Even with my bad shoulder, it could rip off mid 11's (my best was 11.60 at 119). You could jump in, twist the key and go anywhere at anytime. Blown cars can still do that, to an extent, but it's still not the same. Much more of an "effort" to road trip a blown car.

How so? I've had several blown cars and it's no different with a blown car than a NA car unless your foot in is the boost the whole way. If you have a good tune, it should drive like stock on a roadtrip.

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 11:13 PM

Downtime those are impressive numbers. Thatd be like me get a custom tune and dyno out 420. That'd be 20hp loss than someone with boss Mani and full bolt ons. How does this shit even make sense I wonder to myself sometimes LOL

Oxford14Stang 09-14-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 50022)
My car makes 416rw with nothing more than an H pipe and a tune.

We need to run lol I'm just cai/tune

downtime! 09-15-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 50036)
How so? I've had several blown cars and it's no different with a blown car than a NA car unless your foot in is the boost the whole way. If you have a good tune, it should drive like stock on a roadtrip.

Much more likely to break something with the extra strains put on the mechanicals. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun to road trip a blown car, you just have to be a little more careful with things, especially past a certain power level.

I guess what I was really trying to get across is that the magazines these days make it seem like every Stang you see has a blower, and if you don't have one, you're just not cool. That is total bullshit, these cars are a freakin' blast to drive N/A, so don't think you have to have some form of forced induction to be "in".

downtime! 09-15-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 50037)
Downtime those are impressive numbers. Thatd be like me get a custom tune and dyno out 420. That'd be 20hp loss than someone with boss Mani and full bolt ons. How does this shit even make sense I wonder to myself sometimes LOL

What I'm saying is, numbers don't mean anything (other than showing a quantifiable outcome to modifications performed). 420 is nothing to scoff at, and with a little practice and some sticky tires, will run middle 11's all day long. You will also be able to handle any stock, or even mildly modded LS wundercar you might happen across while in Mexico. Nothing wrong with that!

Oxford14Stang 09-15-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 50040)
What I'm saying is, numbers don't mean anything (other than showing a quantifiable outcome to modifications performed). 420 is nothing to scoff at, and with a little practice and some sticky tires, will run middle 11's all day long. You will also be able to handle any stock, or even mildly modded LS wundercar you might happen across while in Mexico. Nothing wrong with that!

Definetly the only thing that matters is track times. I've managed to get the stock 235s to run 2.0 60' now lol ran 8.4s spinning 1-3

Dominic Toretto 09-15-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 50040)
You will also be able to handle any stock, or even mildly modded LS wundercar you might happen across while in Mexico. Nothing wrong with that!

You mean anything short of a Corvette right?

-Alex

re-rx7 09-15-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 50041)
Definetly the only thing that matters is track times. I've managed to get the stock 235s to run 2.0 60' now lol ran 8.4s spinning 1-3

Close to my times, I ran a 8.1 or something my last time out a few months back.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 50056)

-Alex

Ive ran c5 Zo6 vettes and pulled.

downtime! 09-15-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 50056)

-Alex

Nope. Rule out some Z06's and the odd ZR1, if you ever happen to run across one, but run of the mill Z51 cars are no problem. The key is, all (OK, most) Vette drivers like to roll race, and for some reason, they always want to go pretty high, like from 55 or 60. That allowed me to grab 3rd and be right in the meat of the powerband. There is nothing like tromping a plastic fantastic driver in your big, heavy Mustang. They all beat on the steering wheel in exactly the same way. There must be a class they have to take on that!

downtime! 09-15-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 50041)

Yep, we got to get you some DR's!

Dominic Toretto 09-15-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 50061)
Nope. Rule out some Z06's and the odd ZR1, if you ever happen to run across one, but run of the mill Z51 cars are no problem. The key is, all (OK, most) Vette drivers like to roll race, and for some reason, they always want to go pretty high, like from 55 or 60. That allowed me to grab 3rd and be right in the meat of the powerband. There is nothing like tromping a plastic fantastic driver in your big, heavy Mustang. They all beat on the steering wheel in exactly the same way. There must be a class they have to take on that!

Ah I forgot your car is s/ced, that makes then.

-Alex

03MachMe 09-15-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 50067)
Ah I forgot your car is s/ced, that makes then.

-Alex

he was talking about when he was N/A.

Dominic Toretto 09-15-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 50073)
he was talking about when he was N/A.

Interesting.

-Alex

03MachMe 09-15-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 50075)
Interesting.

-Alex

Like he was saying as long as its not a C6 Z06 or ZR1 a bolt on 5.0 can hold its own

Oxford14Stang 09-15-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 50076)
Like he was saying as long as its not a C6 Z06 or ZR1 a bolt on 5.0 can hold its own

Completely agree. I've had the opportunity to run a c6 Z from a 40 in second I pulled on the punch until I hit third than he said bye bye lol. other than that .... a badass pontiac G8 thats it.