Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What's the Appeal of Underpowered Imports About? (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2836)

Midnight11 10-08-2013 11:39 AM

i know i was in the rain with radials too

Bearded Banger 10-08-2013 11:41 AM

I only drive mine in the rain

Grandpa 10-08-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 52711)
28500 miles on my car. Loved all of them except when I spun it into a curb last year in a slick intersection during lunch. But I learned by lesson on that, and have definitely learned how to better control the car since then.

I do wish I had another car I could drive from time to time, namely to keep the dog hair out of the Mustang, but oh well.

I like cruising the Stang. I drive it when I can but I can't always drive it. I've got two kids and two car seats and their stuff doesn't fit in a Stang. Plus its too loud for the baby. lol

Besides, the point of the Stang is for spirited driving on occasion and I can't do that with the kids in the car.

As I've said before, considering in 7 years I had my 93 Cobra, I put 7k miles on it. So almost 11k in 18 months on the GT is a VAST improvement for me. lol

Junkie 10-08-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 52721)
I like cruising the Stang. I drive it when I can but I can't always drive it. I've got two kids and two car seats and their stuff doesn't fit in a Stang. Plus its too loud for the baby. lol

Besides, the point of the Stang is for spirited driving on occasion and I can't do that with the kids in the car.

As I've said before, considering in 7 years I had my 93 Cobra, I put 7k miles on it. So almost 11k in 18 months on the GT is a VAST improvement for me. lol

Wow, I've already put 7k on the Viper

Grandpa 10-08-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkie (Post 52722)
Wow, I've already put 7k on the Viper

That's because you're other 12 cars are all apart in pieces in shops spread out all over the state. lol

Junkie 10-08-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 52725)
That's because you're other 12 cars are all apart in pieces in shops spread out all over the state. lol

....or I just drive a lot? lol. I've put 140k on my truck in less than 4 years. I put 7k+ miles on my V before I took it apart. I just drive a shit load.

3 of my cars are apart in MY shop :)

Grandpa 10-08-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkie (Post 52727)
....or I just drive a lot? lol. I've put 140k on my truck in less than 4 years. I put 7k+ miles on my V before I took it apart. I just drive a shit load.

3 of my cars are apart in MY shop :)

I was joking. :)

GunsUp 10-08-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight11 (Post 52702)
11k mikes for 3 years is jack shit

24k on my 13 and love driving it every time

25k on my 11:peace:

rriddle3 10-08-2013 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Said it before, but...

50bryan 10-08-2013 05:51 PM

I love the power on the stang, and its a hell of a lot of fun. but there is a reason why the japanese market is still around, and why a lot of peolpe mod them.

frs/brz for example. is it gonna outrun a 5.0 on the highway? not a chance. but you go through some twisty roads with it, or just hooligan it around town, its a blast.
in my opinion its much more fun to drive a slow car that is balanced (not a camry, but s2000, brz/frs, miata) fast than to drive a fast car slow, and i think this fits well in this case.

the other side of the fence has the same questions too. "Why do people buy domestic? all they do is run it in a straight line and make massive power and as soon as a corner comes around they can't hold it and spin". etc.

I love the mustang, and i'm not regretting making the change from my 350z to the mustang at all, but the 350z, or other japanese/european sports cars have something that the domestics lack a little of. and that's feel. i know it sounds stupid, and i know it might not be quantifiable, BUT the way the car moves around a corner, the way it hugs the corner as you exit out in speed. thats the beauty of those cars.

you take a jap sports car, take it to mexico, and you get a green left arrow or a clear right turn, and you heel toe from 3rd to 2nd (or 3rd to fourth if you're going fast enough i guess) and hold the line all the way through, with a little tail slide at the end, and if you tell me that that isn't fun, then i guess you won't ever like these cars.

hellaflush/stance and all that is for dopey kids looking to get a confidence boost by throwing their suspension geometry completely off and scraping everywhere they go just so they can feel good about themselves anyways, so not much to defend there.

Dominic Toretto 10-08-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50bryan (Post 52786)
I love the power on the stang, and its a hell of a lot of fun. but there is a reason why the japanese market is still around, and why a lot of peolpe mod them.

frs/brz for example. is it gonna outrun a 5.0 on the highway? not a chance. but you go through some twisty roads with it, or just hooligan it around town, its a blast.
in my opinion its much more fun to drive a slow car that is balanced (not a camry, but s2000, brz/frs, miata) fast than to drive a fast car slow, and i think this fits well in this case.

the other side of the fence has the same questions too. "Why do people buy domestic? all they do is run it in a straight line and make massive power and as soon as a corner comes around they can't hold it and spin". etc.

I love the mustang, and i'm not regretting making the change from my 350z to the mustang at all, but the 350z, or other japanese/european sports cars have something that the domestics lack a little of. and that's feel. i know it sounds stupid, and i know it might not be quantifiable, BUT the way the car moves around a corner, the way it hugs the corner as you exit out in speed. thats the beauty of those cars.

you take a jap sports car, take it to mexico, and you get a green left arrow or a clear right turn, and you heel toe from 3rd to 2nd (or 3rd to fourth if you're going fast enough i guess) and hold the line all the way through, with a little tail slide at the end, and if you tell me that that isn't fun, then i guess you won't ever like these cars.

hellaflush/stance and all that is for dopey kids looking to get a confidence boost by throwing their suspension geometry completely off and scraping everywhere they go just so they can feel good about themselves anyways, so not much to defend there.

Very nice answer. That basically explains what I was not understanding about driving a slow car around town. Still not my cup of tea but, I understand it a lot better now.

And the stance guys... they're just lame :)

-Alex

50bryan 10-08-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 52787)
Very nice answer. That basically explains what I was not understanding about driving a slow car around town. Still not my cup of tea but, I understand it a lot better now.

And the stance guys... they're just lame :)

-Alex

completely agreed on the stance dudebros. :rondod:

STROKD 10-08-2013 08:12 PM

I'd like to point out that not ALL domestics handle badly... Most of them out handle rice/euro cars. They just have higher limits...

Take Junkie's Viper. To "feel" like a FRS or 370 Z in a turn pushing it's limits you'd have to be going over 100 mph on an off ramp. Trust me, it will fuck up any FRS car around, probably even the raced out go cart ones.

JDMLOL 10-08-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 52664)
Check the prices of used C5ZO6s. They go for mid $20s all day. New Miatas cost that much.

-Alex

Didnt see the 5 I thought it was a c6z that's the only one.

50bryan 10-08-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 52791)
I'd like to point out that not ALL domestics handle badly... Most of them out handle rice/euro cars. They just have higher limits...

Take Junkie's Viper. To "feel" like a FRS or 370 Z in a turn pushing it's limits you'd have to be going over 100 mph on an off ramp. Trust me, it will fuck up any FRS car around, probably even the raced out go cart ones.

of course not. domestics handle well as well. obv the viper. the vettes do pretty well as well. but considering the price difference between a viper and an frs...
wouldnt it be fair to compare the viper to the gtr then?

and thats also why i say those cars are popular. you can go 40-50 and have a blast.

50bryan 10-08-2013 09:00 PM

with that being said.... F THE GTR VIPER ALL DAY

2012mustang76123 10-10-2013 12:45 AM

http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/u...ntitled-43.jpg

Pure sex. If they really do make it 0-60 in under 2 seconds i'll really think about getting one.

STROKD 10-10-2013 05:51 PM

It'd prob do that with current pwr if they took 1000 lbs out of the car. That car under 3k would be the bizness.

Dominic Toretto 10-10-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012mustang76123 (Post 52903)
Pure sex. If they really do make it 0-60 in under 2 seconds i'll really think about getting one.

The fact that a Nissan GTR is within your price range clearly means you are doing something right in life. Pretty sure those 9 and ten second GTRs are doing 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.

-Alex

2012mustang76123 10-10-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 52984)
It'd prob do that with current pwr if they took 1000 lbs out of the car. That car under 3k would be the bizness.

That's the nismo.

Price isn't the issue that stopped me from getting one it was the insurance rate. My rate would be almost 6x higher than what im paying for mustang.

Self insurance is a must with one of those cars.

STROKD 10-11-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012mustang76123 (Post 53009)
That's the nismo.

Price isn't the issue that stopped me from getting one it was the insurance rate. My rate would be almost 6x higher than what im paying for mustang.

Self insurance is a must with one of those cars.

I wish I could swing a 100K car at 35, let alone 24...

Sieran 10-11-2013 12:22 PM

As much as I love my Mustang, I miss my VW GTI. Small turbo 4-banger but man was it fun as hell to drive. Once I had it tuned and was putting about 190 to the wheels it was even more fun. Just felt like a go-kart, quick, nimble, and just easy to drive.

The Mustang on the other hand is fast, rear-wheel drive, and a bitch to handle some times in the wrong weather. I also worry all the time about pushing it because I could get in trouble real fast... either with the law or missing a corner.

Plus I think some of the interiors are hard to beat:

http://sieran.simnets.com/gallery2/d...2/DSC03022.JPG

http://sieran.simnets.com/gallery2/d...2/DSC03027.JPG

http://sieran.simnets.com/gallery2/d...2/_DSC0204.JPG

http://sieran.simnets.com/gallery2/d...2/DSC_0231.JPG

DirtyD 10-11-2013 12:27 PM

Only VW I'd like to have would be a W12 Golf, and R32, or a Passat TDI. Too bad they don't make a GLI Passat. That would be EPIC.

downtime! 10-11-2013 01:30 PM

Plaid seats FTMFW! I've always had a soft spot for VW's and would love to find a gen 1 GTi in decent shape. I remember when living in LA, a buddy of mine had an '84 GTi with the Oetinger (sp?) 2.0L 16V conversion. Car made something like 210 at the wheels, way back then. Would beat the living shit out of my '88 Vette on the twisties. Just leave me like I hit the brakes. Really fun car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieran (Post 53033)

JDBishopArts 10-11-2013 02:08 PM

The appeal of underpowered imports is underage girls.

DirtyD 10-11-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts (Post 53047)
The appeal of underpowered imports is underage girls.

With big boobs and no brains. That makes it more fun.

JDMLOL 10-11-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 53044)
Plaid seats FTMFW! I've always had a soft spot for VW's and would love to find a gen 1 GTi in decent shape. I remember when living in LA, a buddy of mine had an '84 GTi with the Oetinger (sp?) 2.0L 16V conversion. Car made something like 210 at the wheels, way back then. Would beat the living shit out of my '88 Vette on the twisties. Just leave me like I hit the brakes. Really fun car!

I had a 2010 gti. It was a piece of eurotrash.

Sieran 10-11-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMLOL (Post 53067)
I had a 2010 gti. It was a piece of eurotrash.

To be honest, they were. 2011+ were much better. Unless you go back much further in time they had a pretty bad run for many years.

JDMLOL 10-11-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieran (Post 53078)
To be honest, they were. 2011+ were much better. Unless you go back much further in time they had a pretty bad run for many years.

What was so much better? The 11+ was still an mk vi like the 2010.

downtime! 10-11-2013 09:47 PM

I'll take one of these -

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/wp-...wayupdate3.jpg

And I would sell everything I own to have one of these -

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/au...t-r5-turbo.jpg

Sieran 10-11-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMLOL (Post 53079)
What was so much better? The 11+ was still an mk vi like the 2010.

Dunno, all of the 2010s and below that I seen at the meets seemed less polished/refined and slower than the 11+. Not to mention lots of broken shit... but may have been the people I was around.

JDMLOL 10-11-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieran (Post 53085)
Dunno, all of the 2010s and below that I seen at the meets seemed less polished/refined and slower than the 11+. Not to mention lots of broken shit... but may have been the people I was around.

The 2010+ were all the same. 2.0t tsi.

Dominic Toretto 10-11-2013 11:17 PM

What is that red car?

-Alex

downtime! 10-11-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 53088)
What is that red car?

-Alex

That's a Renault R5 Turbo 2, better known as the Killer Chipmonk. The engine (a high strung 2.0L turbo) sits sideways, directly behind the front seats. The car is just all kinds of freaking awesome.

5HIFT3D 10-12-2013 07:20 PM

Ricers are the most unreliable pieces of epic shit on the road today. What the ricer owners at the course refuse to tell you is the fact that they have the more electrical issues known in the automotive industry. The overpriced LFA and GTR are both nice and well powered cars but still can't hold a well rounded vettte or GT. May I remind you that drifting being their favorite auto sport in Japan is ruled by none other than a FORD MUSTANG. American Muscle rules the automotive world! Oh yeah I completely destroyed a tuned EVO this morning;-)

re-rx7 10-12-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5HIFT3D (Post 53130)
Ricers are the most unreliable pieces of epic shit on the road today. What the ricer owners at the course refuse to tell you is the fact that they have the more electrical issues known in the automotive industry. The overpriced LFA and GTR are both nice and well powered cars but still can't hold a well rounded vettte or GT. May I remind you that drifting being their favorite auto sport in Japan is ruled by none other than a FORD MUSTANG. American Muscle rules the automotive world! Oh yeah I completely destroyed a tuned EVO this morning;-)

Gt vs gtr:snoopfacepalm: lol

Tuned evo? 8 and 9 evos put dwn 400whp with intake tune exhaust. The stock 16g is a stout turbo.

Stangmaster281 10-12-2013 09:00 PM

^ Are you facepalming because the Ford Gt would lose to a gtr or the other way around?

Dominic Toretto 10-12-2013 09:35 PM

A GTR would certainly handle a FGT all day. I'd rather have a FGT all day though. I've seen women driving GTRs.

-Alex

re-rx7 10-13-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 53136)
A GTR would certainly handle a FGT all day. I'd rather have a FGT all day though. I've seen women driving GTRs.

-Alex

Alot of truth.

50bryan 10-13-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5HIFT3D (Post 53130)

Vaughn gittin Jr rules driving now? LOL.