Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Lets Talk Tires (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3623)

DirtyD 03-11-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP (Post 66406)
I always thought the same thing. Hence why after I ruined the stock set after 10K hard miles (many drag runs, couple auto-x events, and 6 days of track events, plus the regular driving), I decided to pick up a track dedicated set. Now I run a high performance all season (50K rating) daily and have the set of summer only's as my track set. Cost more up front, but money will be saved as the track set should last 2-3 years at minimum once I start using them. Better than changing every year IMO.

Unfortunately I went backwards. Didn't have the money for a track setup, but wanted something that I could track.

Crimson600+HP 03-11-2014 07:45 PM

That happens. I just scoured craigslist until I found a cheap set that would work. 2007+ GT500's are great for this. I got mine for $250 bucks with used tires on them. 18x9.5 on all 4 corners that can fit 285 tires. So with tires, I am $1000 into a track set. Not saying everyone should do this, but if you look carefully you can grab deals.

Soulowd 03-22-2014 01:06 PM

Hey guys I finally got the chance to run the new Conti extreme contact dw last night...they were shit...I played with tire pressure went to 26psi first (terrible), then 25 (a lil better than terrible) any ideas? I have plenty of drag experience so I know how to launch but to get any traction at all I had to basically slowly get into it and couldnt rev at all from launch. I was running consistently in the 12.4's on my stock perellis and last night my best was a 13 flat which is not cool. The track was having a lot of issues last night with spills and I did see several cars even with slicks sliding around but cant be sure. I am running Muscle car challenge on Sunday so need some ideas fast (trying to stay in King Bracket 12.00-12.99) Thanks oh and btw "STEVE" I beat a CTS-V even with a 13 flat lol!

Soulowd 03-22-2014 01:49 PM

Hmmmm...Im reading some other forums and a lot of people saying on street radial tires not to lower psi at all and to keep them at factory spec 32-35psi. Can anyone shed some light on this???

5PointSlow 03-22-2014 02:20 PM

I used to lower my non DR nitto 555s to 25psi and that seemed to work well. if the prep was good I could run 10s on them. if not consistent low 11s. street tires on the track are really hit and miss depending on the brand. I am going to take my R888s out once I get back.

DirtyD 03-24-2014 02:15 PM

You are afterall on a street tire, and the weather was cool Friday night. You aren't doing long burnouts, are you? Avoid the water box and just spin them enough to clean off any debris.

Klownz 03-24-2014 03:14 PM

I'm running the Nitto NTOS5R 315/35/20. Pretty good tire but not for a DD.

Soulowd 03-24-2014 03:35 PM

Yeah I took them back to 35psi and they did pretty good. Cant launch on them or they will spin all over the place but If I steadily get into them they were a lot better on Sunday @ Kennedale. Still getting some wheel hop but I ordered lower control arms for that. Really I just need to invest in some Drag Radials and 15" wheels to get optimum grip

DirtyD 03-24-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 67624)
Yeah I took them back to 35psi and they did pretty good. Cant launch on them or they will spin all over the place but If I steadily get into them they were a lot better on Sunday @ Kennedale. Still getting some wheel hop but I ordered lower control arms for that. Really I just need to invest in some Drag Radials and 15" wheels to get optimum grip

I can't remember if you are lowered or not. Why not go ahead and get the brackets too?