Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New improved better daily thread discussion (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3715)

STROKD 02-21-2014 10:27 AM

New improved better daily thread discussion

So, been doing a shit ton of research, cheapest car I found is a SE Fiesta, which Id like to drive(prob wont like it), but the ST isnt badly priced in the mid 200/mo for 24 months with zero down... thats at sticker. anyone have one of these go carts or know anything bout em?

The Corolla I was interested in apparently is a pile of shit commuter car. Its slower than its comp 0 to 60 is 9.7!!!, stops worse than all its comp, and handles for shit. Ive never had a Toyota and I know now why. They are for soul less transporters that have either no skill driving, or just dont gaf. I like to buzz on and off ramps, zip through slow cars on freeway, take off from lights sometimes etc. The Corolla seems about as bad as my Civic Hybrid which was the most annoying car in the world to drive.

Second dibs is a new Jetta turbo. They get baller mpg and have some good pwr. Chipped it makes 245/290! Thats not bad in a 3k lb car with all new irs out back... be a poor mans GLI. Comes with steel wheels which suck, but itd be my 4th vw and I already have rims to put on it day one which will make it even faster losing a ton of weight off the rotating mass.

PCB 02-21-2014 10:33 AM

My sister has a Fiesta. Nice car with a lot of bells and whistles. I wouldn't drive it daily, but an ST would maybe change my mind, even though I prefer the Focus ST.

DirtyD 02-21-2014 10:42 AM

Nicolas drives a Fiesta SE for his daily. He seems to like it a lot. I think having an ST would keep the daily driver in the fun range, while still being a great gas alternative.

46Tbird 02-21-2014 11:00 AM

Denny had a manual trans Focus ST a couple of months ago. He liked it, and paid cash for it, but at the end of the day it's a turbo Focus. It was actually pretty quick, it would scoot the front tires all over the place.

He got rid of it after 3-4 months though. Just got tired of being in a Focus. lmao

STROKD 02-21-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46Tbird (Post 65196)
Denny had a manual trans Focus ST a couple of months ago. He liked it, and paid cash for it, but at the end of the day it's a turbo Focus. It was actually pretty quick, it would scoot the front tires all over the place.

He got rid of it after 3-4 months though. Just got tired of being in a Focus. lmao

Did it rattle and sound like a pos or what? Im not buying a ST Focus, i was talking about the Fiesta. Id consider a SE Focus if it was cheap enough. If I spend over 350/mo Ill just buy another c6. Lol. I want a super cheap car payment, almost like prepaying for gas for the month vs driving a foxbody with a race engine...

re-rx7 02-21-2014 11:24 AM

Fiesta st has gotten better remarks then the Focus St. I will be trading my stang in most likely when the Focus RS makes its debut next year. 350hp and AWD FTW!!!

5PointSlow 02-21-2014 11:26 AM

i would def DD a fiesta ST and the lease rate is pretty awesome.

46Tbird 02-21-2014 11:46 AM

Man, I'm just not sure I can tuck my manhood enough to be happy in an egg car. :driver:

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

BERT 02-21-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46Tbird (Post 65204)
Man, I'm just not sure I can tuck my manhood enough to be happy in an egg car. :driver:

But you would fit so well in it

STROKD 02-21-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46Tbird (Post 65204)

I think it looks sweeet.. trying to test drive one tonight

Dominic Toretto 02-21-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 65191)
The Corolla I was interested in apparently is a pile of shit commuter car. Its slower than its comp 0 to 60 is 9.7!!!, stops worse than all its comp, and handles for shit. Ive never had a Toyota and I know now why. They are for soul less transporters that have either no skill driving, or just dont gaf. I like to buzz on and off ramps, zip through slow cars on freeway, take off from lights sometimes etc. The Corolla seems about as bad as my Civic Hybrid which was the most annoying car in the world to drive.

Why on earth are you concerned with performance for a commuter/dd car? The point of a commuter car is reliability. A Corolla will outlast any Ford car period. 0-60, laterla Gs, top speed etc is just ridiculous to consider for a DD lol. Just save your money and drive the Mustang everywhere.

-Alex

DirtyD 02-21-2014 01:14 PM

If the car is the same cost, why not be able to enjoy the car as a DD while still getting excellent gas mileage?

Grandpa 02-21-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 65220)
Why on earth are you concerned with performance for a commuter/dd car? The point of a commuter car is reliability. A Corolla will outlast any Ford car period. 0-60, laterla Gs, top speed etc is just ridiculous to consider for a DD lol. Just save your money and drive the Mustang everywhere.

-Alex

LOL, Dominic, trust me on this and don't bother. Matt and I talk about this stuff every day and he just doesn't subscribe to that train of thought about being practical. His wants FAR exceed his needs/budget but he continues to look at certain cars he really doesn't need or can't afford. It's his decision though. /shrug.

STROKD 02-21-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

-Alex

I drive aggressive. I dont want a pof to wabble me around and not stop if I need to. Also I like to get around in traffic with out waiting for 15 cars to pass.

My mustang isnt going to be driven much, so this car will be more of an everyday driver than just a to and from work car. I had a Civic Hybrid, and I felt like mobile prey in it. Almost died at least 3 times. Never again. Need a daily that is fun, yet the payment costs about what the mpg savings would be vs driving the stang.

Dominic Toretto 02-21-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 65221)
If the car is the same cost, why not be able to enjoy the car as a DD while still getting excellent gas mileage?

I've been around a number of cars that fall into the small, practical, DD category. There's no way I would ever pick a domestic of a Honda or Toyota. Those cars LAST and also(if anyone cars) have reasonable resale value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 65223)
LOL, Dominic, trust me on this and don't bother. Matt and I talk about this stuff every day and he just doesn't subscribe to that train of thought about being practical. His wants FAR exceed his needs/budget but he continues to look at certain cars he really doesn't need or can't afford. It's his decision though. /shrug.

Ah gotcha. Was just cruious. This is the first time I've seen someone look at 0-60 times for a DD ROFL. Just get a used ZO6 then.

-Alex

STROKD 02-21-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 65223)

Broham, Im paying 400/mo for a CC. How can I not afford a ST that is 250? Yes I want a new bmw, but that shit has gotta be after the frc is paid off.

Having a good mpg driver will offset expense from my mpg in the fox. And then some... my 08c6 got better mpg than my stang and it was 90/week to daily it for 3 months, and that was when gas was in the 2.60 range!!

STROKD 02-21-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 65225)
I've been around a number of cars that fall into the small, practical, DD category. There's no way I would ever pick a domestic of a Honda or Toyota. Those cars LAST and also(if anyone cars) have reasonable resale value.

Ah gotcha. Was just cruious. This is the first time I've seen someone look at 0-60 times for a DD ROFL. Just get a used ZO6 then.

-Alex

This is a 2 year lease dude. If the car doesnt last that long Ford would be bankrupt. Im not buying it to keep 25 years. When my frc is paid for on 20 months, ill be getting a 235/435 for a daily... or another c6.

pohnjarker 02-21-2014 01:45 PM

i have a coworker that has the fiesta st and said it handles great and is a lot of fun...he says he's an autox driver and loves it, wishes he could get back into it with that car...blah blah blah.

Dominic Toretto 02-21-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 65227)
This is a 2 year lease dude. If the car doesnt last that long Ford would be bankrupt. Im not buying it to keep 25 years. When my frc is paid for on 20 months, ill be getting a 235/435 for a daily... or another c6.

Oh okay, I wasn't aware the commuter would just be for two years. In that case I understand your point.

You're not supposed to modify leased vehicles so not sure why you mention adding rims and possibly power mods to the Volkswagen.

-Alex

PCB 02-21-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 65226)
Broham, Im paying 400/mo for a CC. !!

I know the feeling. I am paying close to $1800 on 2 CC and a Home loan. The possibilities are endless once I pay them off.

5PointSlow 02-21-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCB (Post 65230)
I know the feeling. I am paying close to $1800 on 2 CC and a Home loan. The possibilities are endless once I pay them off.

Man I'm glad I paid off my CCs. I'm not gonna lie have no CC debt, one car note and a mortgage as my only debt is awesome.

Grandpa 02-21-2014 01:55 PM

LOL, I'm not going to get started

No..

No no

No no no

NO NO NO NO...lmao.

PCB 02-21-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5PointSlow (Post 65233)
Man I'm glad I paid off my CCs. I'm not gonna lie have no CC debt, one car note and a mortgage as my only debt is awesome.

I am thankful that I am fixing to sell my home and in doing so will pay off all my debt. I am with you though. My credit cards will be cut up and removed from accounts.

re-rx7 02-21-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

-Alex

Proof? The best selling small car is a Ford Focus? Hondas Reliabilty isnt as great as it once was and Toyota has recalls it seems every month.

STROKD 02-21-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 65229)
Oh okay, I wasn't aware the commuter would just be for two years. In that case I understand your point.

You're not supposed to modify leased vehicles so not sure why you mention adding rims and possibly power mods to the Volkswagen.

-Alex

Lmao, well, my current vw is a lease, last one had rims, coil overs, tint chip etc... i kept the rims and they r on my cc which is a lease. its lowered on same wheels with tint. I can mod the cars, just have to return to mostly stock when i give em back. Chip is a 30 minute reflash... if someone makes a chip flash for the Fiesta, im all ears!

STROKD 02-21-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

VW Passat CC. Its the sloped back 4 door...

re-rx7 02-21-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 65240)
Lmao, well, my current vw is a lease, last one had rims, coil overs, tint chip etc... i kept the rims and they r on my cc which is a lease. its lowered on same wheels with tint. I can mod the cars, just have to return to mostly stock when i give em back. Chip is a 30 minute reflash... if someone makes a chip flash for the Fiesta, im all ears!

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Ford-Fiest...3-p/62fx01.htm

Dominic Toretto 02-21-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 65236)
Proof? The best selling small car is a Ford Focus? Hondas Reliabilty isnt as great as it once was and Toyota has recalls it seems every month.

Just based on the experience I had personally, so I don't mean to make a blanket claim. The general perception is that Japanese made cars outlast domestics and that is widely accepted and nothing new.

In the family we have a few Lexus cars that refuse to break. One example is my mom's old Bronco that was broke more than it worked and she bought a 92 Corolla to cart around to and from work and it had over 240k miles when sold. Was still in great working order when it was sold with cold AC. Lexus wins awards for reliability year after year IIRC. Recalls are not a bad thing. That is just the manufacturer stepping up to admit there is a problem and fixing it without costing the customer. How's that a bad thing? If Ford did the same thing with the manuals in our cars, I'm sure no one would be complaining.

-Alex

re-rx7 02-21-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 65245)
Just based on the experience I had personally, so I don't mean to make a blanket claim. The general perception is that Japanese made cars outlast domestics and that is widely accepted and nothing new.

In the family we have a few Lexus cars that refuse to break. One example is my mom's old Bronco that was broke more than it worked and she bought a 92 Corolla to cart around to and from work and it had over 240k miles when sold. Was still in great working order when it was sold with cold AC. Lexus wins awards for reliability year after year IIRC. Recalls are not a bad thing. That is just the manufacturer stepping up to admit there is a problem and fixing it without costing the customer. How's that a bad thing? If Ford did the same thing with the manuals in our cars, I'm sure no one would be complaining.

-Alex

Your basing you experience off of the old cars. YEs old Japanese cars are more reliable thne their american competition of old. Nowadays its almost dead even. The Corolla is losing ground as the Focus is the best selling small car now. ALot of recalls they have done have been mandated by the gov't.

DirtyD 02-21-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5PointSlow (Post 65233)

I think he means a VW CC, not a credit card. lol

But on that note, when you say no CC debt, you mean that you are paying every statement in full every time that card is due, right? Or you pay cash for everything?

Grandpa 02-21-2014 04:18 PM

People who don't pay off their cards every month are crazy in my opinion. Credit cards are not for living off of unless its an absolute emergency.

It's crazy to me how many people just spend like crazy on their cards like it's money they already have and just keep spending. As it is, you get taxed when you make your money, then you get taxed again when you spend it. Then to add to that they compound interest to the equation. You end up for working for a fraction of your money!

1andonlywhitie 02-21-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 65259)
People who don't pay off their cards every month are crazy in my opinion. Credit cards are not for living off of unless its an absolute emergency.

I had to live on mine for about a month when I was between jobs (long story, wasn't paid at old job, new job hadn't ogt my paperwork done) and I'm still trying to whittle that shit back down. I'll be glad to get that stuff paid off... prior to that all I used it for was gas and groceries and pay it off every month to help show credit skilllzzzz...

Dominic Toretto 02-21-2014 04:37 PM

I don't have a credit card. Just debit from my credit union. Sometimes I think I should get a credit card to help build credit though.

-Alex

pohnjarker 02-21-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 65257)
But on that note, when you say no CC debt, you mean that you are paying every statement in full every time that card is due, right? Or you pay cash for everything?

we only use our checking account...cc is for emergencies/overdraft protection only.

STROKD 02-21-2014 04:55 PM

Lol, we will just say if I had no credit debt, Id have a Ford GT in the garage and a nice ass daily car. boooo

46Tbird 02-21-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 65257)

I pay my $750 limit CC off twice every month.

I didn't have a credit card from the time I was 23 to 35. I "built" a Fox body hatch with a CC when I was 21. It was then stolen and it took me nearly five years to pay it off. Stupid.

I cancelled every card I had, then drove a '99 Ranger for ten years/215k miles. I don't have any financial issues now, lol. The only recurring debt I have is my house (4.3%) and my Mustang (0.9%) which are both halfway paid off.

Dominic Toretto 02-21-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 65267)
Lol, we will just say if I had no credit debt, Id have a Ford GT in the garage and a nice ass daily car. boooo

Just buy the FGT on credit.

-Alex

DirtyD 02-21-2014 07:50 PM

I have 2 cards, only because discover isn't accepted everywhere. I typically try to keep each statement under or around $500, which is doable. I'm just trying to get myself more under control on spending.

NAVAG 02-22-2014 12:47 AM

All I want out of a DD is MPG. Only mods will be XM Radio. I bonus in two weeks and I'm planning on dropping 2 or 3 grand on a beater that will last a year or two.

I HATE that I've only had my 5.0 for a year and put 40K miles on it already.
I HATE the swirls in the paint and the two tiny rock chips from all the driving.

If it means keeping my mustang looking good and and running good then I'll drive the gayest POS out there to work and back. Money I save in fuel can go toward more go fast parts.

re-rx7 02-22-2014 11:24 AM

Fuck buying a new car for a daily. Id buy a mid 90's honda and call it a day.