Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Interior/Exterior (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Wheel choices (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=870)

Joey289 12-30-2012 11:04 PM

Wheel choices

I just got a Ingot Silver 2013 GT. It has the 18" wheels currently. I want to go with some 19" aftermarket wheels that are not seen on 9 out of 10 Mustangs you see. Since the car is silver I would like a Black wheel. However, I do not want all black.

Here are a few I have come across. What are you opinions?

Here is a bad picture of my car. I will get better ones soon.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...4_640w480h.jpg

Niche- Roma in Black/Machined
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k_Mach-500.jpg

ASA GT5 Black w/ silver inside ring
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...289/asagt5.jpg

DirtyD 12-31-2012 12:42 AM

I myself will be going with one of Niche's wheels...but I'm not going to say which one, so that no one copies me. :p

With that said, go for the Romas.

merlinmol 12-31-2012 01:18 AM

I'd go for the Romas, but that's just because everyone typically goes for the ASA style. Different is good.

Phuck Phace 12-31-2012 06:14 AM

Trip gold daytons, hundid spoke.

Joey289 12-31-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phuck Phace (Post 13827)
Trip gold daytons, hundid spoke.

Only if they make a 13" with the correct offset yo.

Joey289 01-02-2013 02:41 PM

As much as I like the Roma's... I can not find them for sale anywhere and judging by other Niche wheels... they are way out of my price range.

I found these as well that I thought might look good and different...

Advanti 15th Anniv. Matte Black w/ machine inside lip (only in 18" and 20"

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...matteblack.jpg

Advanti Denaro. Gloss black w/ polished lip ( 18" or 19")
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k-side-350.jpg

Joey289 01-02-2013 02:56 PM

Here is 20" 15th anniv on a Silver GT.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1772

Grandpa 01-02-2013 03:18 PM

Say NO to black wheels!

Joey289 01-02-2013 03:33 PM

I think on a Silver car the black looks good?

What do y'all think of 19 vs 20" on a regular brake optioned GT? I can not lower the car due to the entrance to my garage. The tire cost is not as big as I thought it would be between the two.

Also, does anybody know the stock offset or backspacing?

Courtesy Flush 01-02-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 14011)
Say NO to black wheels!

:happy160:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey289 (Post 14017)

What do y'all think of 19 vs 20" on a regular brake optioned GT? I can not lower the car due to the entrance to my garage. The tire cost is not as big as I thought it would be between the two.

If no lowering, 20inch wheels as it will fill the gap a little better with the proper tires.

18X8 44mm offset

Grandpa 01-02-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

There is a better tire selection with 20 inch wheels as the 19's are very limited in what is available.

Phuck Phace 01-02-2013 04:06 PM

Say yes to black wheels. Fuck those guys.

Grandpa 01-02-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phuck Phace (Post 14025)
Say yes to black wheels. Fuck those guys.

Might as well make them cast and super heavy as well to completely defeat the purpose too. Those wheels are so heavy you should tied boat anchors to all four corners! :Big Laugh:

Joey289 01-02-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 14018)
:happy160:

If no lowering, 20inch wheels as it will fill the gap a little better with the proper tires.

18X8 44mm offset

With the tires I was planning to keep the overall heigh pretty close to stock (within 1/2" IIRC). I was going a bit wider though. I have the tire sizes and specs written down at home.

My fear is the 20" wheels looking ghetto on a Mustang.

Thanks for the info. I noticed on some sites like Tire Rack... when I clicked "brembo" option I got a lot more choices than the standard brake option. Will this cause any issues? I thought the only difference was the brembos came with 19" to clear the brakes.

Joey289 01-02-2013 04:19 PM

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2..._maa_ci3_l.jpg

Courtesy Flush 01-02-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey289 (Post 14029)
With the tires I was planning to keep the overall heigh pretty close to stock (within 1/2" IIRC). I was going a bit wider though. I have the tire sizes and specs written down at home.

My fear is the 20" wheels looking ghetto on a Mustang.

Thanks for the info. I noticed on some sites like Tire Rack... when I clicked "brembo" option I got a lot more choices than the standard brake option. Will this cause any issues? I thought the only difference was the brembos came with 19" to clear the brakes.

The few guys that posted above have 20's so you can decide for yourself by looking at their sig pics.
The brembo equipped cars typically run wider wheels so thats why you are seeing more choices available. Nothing wrong with a wider wheel all depends on the look you're going for.

Phuck Phace 01-02-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 14026)
Might as well make them cast and super heavy as well to completely defeat the purpose too. Those wheels are so heavy you should tied boat anchors to all four corners! :Big Laugh:

They aren't bad, how much do yours weigh?

Courtesy Flush 01-02-2013 04:48 PM

be a trend setter.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9hSB7Qap8b...WY/s1600/3.jpg

http://www.forgiatoauto.com/cms_imag...nBlack-700.jpg

Phuck Phace 01-02-2013 04:54 PM

Hells yeah^

Grandpa 01-02-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phuck Phace (Post 14043)

My wheels are MUCH lighter than yours. Your wheels are a heavy cast wheels. Mine are a lightweight forged aluminum wheel.

You can ask Jon, (Jucostud). When I was up at his store having the tires mounted on the wheels I took a picture of the stock 19 and the new 20 inch wheel with the 305's side by side before putting them in the back of the Magnum. The size difference was awesome. After I took the picture, I lifted the stock 19 to put it in car. Damn it was heavy. Then I went to pick up new wheel and nearly fell over backwards cuz it was so much lighter cuz I was prepared for it too be heavy too! lol.

03MachMe 01-02-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 14050)
My wheels are MUCH lighter than yours. Your wheels are a heavy cast wheels. Mine are a lightweight forged aluminum wheel.

You can ask Jon, (Jucostud). When I was up at his store having the tires mounted on the wheels I took a picture of the stock 19 and the new 20 inch wheel with the 305's side by side before putting them in the back of the Magnum. The size difference was awesome. After I took the picture, I lifted the stock 19 to put it in car. Damn it was heavy. Then I went to pick up new wheel and nearly fell over backwards cuz it was so much lighter cuz I was prepared for it too be heavy too! lol.

Lol you say all this like you race all the time and every little pound matters. my 19s are lighter than my stock wheels and even if they werent it wouldnt matter because I'm not racing and the extra couple of pounds don't make a difference lol

Grandpa 01-02-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 14057)
Lol you say all this like you race all the time and every little pound matters. my 19s are lighter than my stock wheels and even if they werent it wouldnt matter because I'm not racing and the extra couple of pounds don't make a difference lol

This is the slowest car I've had in years, but that is a temporary condition. ;)

DirtyD 01-02-2013 05:32 PM

Joey, Niche does offer some of their wheels under the "Sport" line, but they are a cast one-pc wheel. Trust me, I have been searching the internet over and over for their wheels. Unless you want to get a full custom set made @ $2000/wheel, then the sport ones are good for now. LOL

Joey289 01-02-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phuck Phace (Post 14043)

What size wheels and offset are you running? Are your tires staggered? I found a good deal on some 20x10's in a wheel but that may be too wide for the front. I want to be able to rotate my tires...I put a lot of miles on my vehicles for work.

Phuck Phace 01-02-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey289 (Post 14062)
What size wheels and offset are you running? Are your tires staggered? I found a good deal on some 20x10's in a wheel but that may be too wide for the front. I want to be able to rotate my tires...I put a lot of miles on my vehicles for work.

20x9 and 20x11.
I don't recall the offsets.

merlinmol 01-02-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey289 (Post 14062)

My fronts are 20x10 and rears are 20x11. Not sure the offsets as Forgeline has them fitted perfectly.

46Tbird 01-02-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

I can not lower the car due to the entrance to my garage.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...S/0c7a1ca5.jpg

:smoke2:

Joey289 01-02-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46Tbird (Post 14073)

lol..... In stock form I have about 1/4" clearance from scraping the underside. when I pull into my garage. There is a pretty steep slope. I can only park on one side. The wife parked on the wrong side the other day and I had to move her truck. It sucks, but would require concrete work to fix it. When I pull my 65 in, the header flanges scrape.

Joey289 01-02-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmol (Post 14071)
My fronts are 20x10 and rears are 20x11. Not sure the offsets as Forgeline has them fitted perfectly.

What size tires are you running? Your's looks great. Any modifications besides lowering that you had to do to make it all fit?

Grandpa 01-02-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey289 (Post 14077)
What size tires are you running? Your's looks great. Any modifications besides lowering that you had to do to make it all fit?

I've got 20x9/20x11 with a 305 tire with no body or fender modifications at all. The fenderwells on these cars come pre-rolled from the factory. They are really large, so you really need a larger wheel to properly fill the fenderwell to make it look right, in my opinion.

In 19's, you have limited wheel and tire selection which makes it difficult at times to find the look you are going for. 20's really are the only way to go because 18's are just too small and look like matchbox wheels on these big cars. lol.

dallasmike 01-02-2013 08:21 PM

just to clarify a few things. The Wheels that phuck face has I do believe are forgestar wheels. These are not your typical cheap chinese cast wheel. They are flow formed and are actually several lbs lighter than stock wheels. Even 3 piece wheels can be heavy, it really depends on the style. Hate to say this to you Steve but your wheels are going to be amongst the heaviest in the forged wheel world. The lightest wheel you can purchase is going to be a one piece forged monoblock wheel. This is the process of making a single wheel out of one block of aluminum. VERY EXPENSIVE as well. The next lightest process is going to a step lip 3 piece wheel. Then we come to the style that Steve has which is a flat lip. There are two styles here as well, one has a stainless steel lip for the "chrome affect" and the other is polished aluminum. Polished aluminum being the lightest of the two.

Now we come to the hybrid wheel aka flow formed. This wheel starts out as a cast center and then the barrel of the wheel if forge spun. This creates a very strong one piece lightweight wheel. Weight wise will compare to a 3 piece flat lip wheel.

Now we also have deep concave 3 piece wheels. If you want lightweight you need to run away from these. The "legs" of the center forging that give the concave look add a TON of material and weight to these wheels. They typically weigh as much as cast wheels.

Finally we have cast wheels. This style is made by having raw aluminum poored into a mold and cooled. Very low tech, not extremely strong nor is it light weight. But they're cheap! Problem is quality control. OEM cast wheels have to survive a ton of testing to be allowed on your car. Chinese knockoffs and others do not have the same testing and can lead to very bad things.

If you need help with wheels we pretty much carry any brand you can think of and will be just about anybody on price.

Phuck Phace 01-02-2013 08:55 PM

Yeah...

Joey289 01-02-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 14078)
I've got 20x9/20x11 with a 305 tire with no body or fender modifications at all. The fenderwells on these cars come pre-rolled from the factory. They are really large, so you really need a larger wheel to properly fill the fenderwell to make it look right, in my opinion.

In 19's, you have limited wheel and tire selection which makes it difficult at times to find the look you are going for. 20's really are the only way to go because 18's are just too small and look like matchbox wheels on these big cars. lol.

Just curious.... but if you run a 305 all the way around... why did you do staggered wheels?

jayman33 01-02-2013 09:57 PM

The 305 Steve is referring to is only the rear tire.

OP, look into the new TSW concave series, these are new for 2013 and should be available soon. Forgestar has a new wheel CF5V that is much different than their other styles. I'm a fan of the 19's, I have a set of Vossen CV2's for sale but as a set they're pretty expensive. Many of the companies that produce forged wheels are now coming out with the flow formed wheels due to the popularity, strength, weight and cost. HRE and ADV1 have developed a few flow formed wheels.

merlinmol 01-02-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey289 (Post 14077)

Just lowering it. If it isn't lowered with 20 x 11's you will scrape the bump stop due to width, otherwise nothing else had to be done.

Grandpa 01-03-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey289 (Post 14085)
Just curious.... but if you run a 305 all the way around... why did you do staggered wheels?

Sorry, I figured it was pretty straight forward. 305 rears only.

Joey289 01-03-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 14119)
Sorry, I figured it was pretty straight forward. 305 rears only.

I figured that is what you meant, but since I want to have all 4 tires the same...I am more worried about what size fits on the front as that will probably be my limiting factor in tire choce. With that being said, what size do you have on the front?

LilWhite 01-03-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayman33 (Post 14089)
The 305 Steve is referring to is only the rear tire.

OP, look into the new TSW concave series, these are new for 2013 and should be available soon. Forgestar has a new wheel CF5V that is much different than their other styles. I'm a fan of the 19's, I have a set of Vossen CV2's for sale but as a set they're pretty expensive. Many of the companies that produce forged wheels are now coming out with the flow formed wheels due to the popularity, strength, weight and cost. HRE and ADV1 have developed a few flow formed wheels.

Are they available / do you have a link where i can see them?

Grandpa 01-03-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey289 (Post 14136)
I figured that is what you meant, but since I want to have all 4 tires the same...I am more worried about what size fits on the front as that will probably be my limiting factor in tire choce. With that being said, what size do you have on the front?

265/35 on front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilWhite (Post 14137)

HRE and ADV1 make some badass wheels, but they are major money. Ouch!

jayman33 01-03-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilWhite (Post 14137)

You can just go right on their website. -