Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   koni yellows and bmr springs ride (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=4365)

txfiremn 07-25-2014 06:01 PM

koni yellows and bmr springs ride

Im going to purchase koni yellow adjustables, bmr springs, panhard, uca and mount. If you're running the konis, bmr springs or both, how do you like it? Also, I want to install all of it myself, any pointers would be great.

JDMLOL 07-25-2014 08:56 PM

koni yellows and bmr springs ride

Everything is extremely easy except the Uca. I had mine installed but lift the car as high as you can and remove the over axle pipes to get better access to the Uca. Adjust the Uca with the suspension loaded up. As for everything else, follow the lmr video for springs. I don't have the yellows, but a lot of guys run several clicks off of full soft.

El_Tortuga 07-27-2014 01:28 PM

Happy with my Koni yellows. Running them with Eibach pros.

Tips:
Best instructions I got were downloaded from American Muscle (c/w nut sizes so no fumbling for the right one). I think it was posted under the eibach pros.
Free spring compressor loaner from Autozone.
Air tools make the job so much easier, especially for removing / installing the strut nut.
Use Loctite blue.
Have not done UCA. Otherwise, fairly straightforward/simple job.

my95z28 07-27-2014 02:34 PM

How is the ride quality Tortuga? I really want to lower my car but I absolutely love how comfortable the stock ride is. It's been a long time since I've had a car that rides this comfortably.

JDMLOL 07-27-2014 04:11 PM

I never needed a spring compressor for mine... I guess it depends on the drop?

El_Tortuga 07-27-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my95z28 (Post 73795)
How is the ride quality Tortuga? I really want to lower my car but I absolutely love how comfortable the stock ride is. It's been a long time since I've had a car that rides this comfortably.

Stiffer of course, but as the car is underdamped with stock springs it was noticeably worse when lowered with stock shocks and struts. E.g. some porpoising on the highway bump. Added the Koni's and I'm very happy. With the yellows's its back under control. End result is a firmer but well dampened ride. Not harsh at all.

Reaper 07-27-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Tortuga (Post 73798)
Stiffer of course, but as the car is underdamped with stock springs it was noticeably worse when lowered with stock shocks and struts. E.g. some porpoising on the highway bump. Added the Koni's and I'm very happy. With the yellows's its back under control. End result is a firmer but well dampened ride. Not harsh at all.

Cool, i just ordered yellow konis, eibach sport springs, with bmr LCAs and pan hard bar(on back-order…). Good to hear. Any suggestion on what hole to use on the relocation bracket for the LCA having a 2" drop in the back with a 1.3" in the front? Thanks.

03MachMe 07-28-2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper (Post 73799)
Cool, i just ordered yellow konis, eibach sport springs, with bmr LCAs and pan hard bar(on back-order…). Good to hear. Any suggestion on what hole to use on the relocation bracket for the LCA having a 2" drop in the back with a 1.3" in the front? Thanks.

I have the exact same setup and have it on the middle hole. Has worked fine for me so far lol

Reaper 07-28-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 73803)
I have the exact same setup and have it on the middle hole. Has worked fine for me so far lol

Thank you! Just waiting on parts now…

txfiremn 07-28-2014 12:14 PM

I've been reading mixed info about lca and uca and which is more important to have first. I've read that the uca and mount is more important because you can adjust pinion angle, thus saving your pinion seal and avoid other damage. Others have stated that having the lca's and relos are more important. What is your thoughts or opinions on this.

El_Tortuga 07-28-2014 01:14 PM

Adjustable LCAs can control the pinion angle too.

I just ordered relocation brackets witht he plan to try them with my track pack LCAs. When I install, I will measure pinion angle and decide if I will also do adj LCAs.

JDMLOL 07-30-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txfiremn (Post 73808)
I've been reading mixed info about lca and uca and which is more important to have first. I've read that the uca and mount is more important because you can adjust pinion angle, thus saving your pinion seal and avoid other damage. Others have stated that having the lca's and relos are more important. What is your thoughts or opinions on this.

Correct pinion angle. I'm sure a lot of guys without an adjustable Uca on a lowered car haven't put enough miles on them to notice the negative effects yet.