Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Foxbody 5.0s (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Header Install Tips and Tricks?? (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1735)

OG Fox 05-15-2013 01:31 AM

Header Install Tips and Tricks??

Looking on finally tackling the header install on the 82. I have some BBK 1 5/8 ceramic headers that im wanting to put on the car. I also want to get rid of all the smog bullshit on the car itself too.

So I will be ordering a pully to replace the smog as seen here.
pulley

and also need an air cleaner to replace the factory one.
air cleaner

then I know I will need a double hump transmission crossmember
here

Other than that, for those guys who have swapped headers on to a fox before. any other things i might need? im also open to tips/tricks. thanks a bunch guys.

Luke 05-15-2013 05:08 AM

No tips on the headers but while you're under there you might as well replace the starter if you have that old whiney one.

STROKD 05-15-2013 10:31 AM

Id buy ARP 3/8" header bolts... chrome (polished) or black, your choice. I like the chrome ones myself. Also Id use a Fel Pro header gasket. tighten the piss out of them, and when its running, drive it 50-100 miles, and retighten all of the bolts as tight as you can get. you should be all set after that. Sometimes people put a drop of blue locktite on the bolts to make sure they dont back out, Ive only done that on one car cause the motor shook so bad it rattled my bolts out. Id lose one once a week or so.

OG Fox 05-15-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 30131)
Id buy ARP 3/8" header bolts... chrome (polished) or black, your choice. I like the chrome ones myself. Also Id use a Fel Pro header gasket. tighten the piss out of them, and when its running, drive it 50-100 miles, and retighten all of the bolts as tight as you can get. you should be all set after that. Sometimes people put a drop of blue locktite on the bolts to make sure they dont back out, Ive only done that on one car cause the motor shook so bad it rattled my bolts out. Id lose one once a week or so.

ok awesome tip. will do!

Toby 05-15-2013 08:58 PM

dont waste your money on the smog pulley, just re route the belt and get a shorter one. Go around the alternator, under the tensioner, around the ac, around the ps, over the water pump, then around the crank and back up to the alternator. headers are a piece of cake, I would highly suggest getting a set of percy aluminum header gaskets. I have literally reused mine 10+ times and they still seal with 0 issues.

Austin@BA-Speed 05-15-2013 09:31 PM

+1 on aluminum header gaskets

downtime! 05-16-2013 08:29 AM

Another vote for the shorter belt and no pulley. Tons easier and really cleans it up under there.

OG Fox 05-16-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 30254)
Another vote for the shorter belt and no pulley. Tons easier and really cleans it up under there.

ok might go this route to save some dough.

STROKD 05-16-2013 06:12 PM

dont really need the fake pulley bracket unless you have a blower kit that necessates it for belt clearance. the short belt works great, just make sure to remove the smog pump from the car or it will lock up on you if its not turning.