Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Difference in 1 5/8 and 1 7/8 LT headers (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=498)

BLK2012GT 10-10-2012 02:37 PM

Difference in 1 5/8 and 1 7/8 LT headers

Is there a difference as far as performance goes between the two sizes of headers?

Grandpa 10-10-2012 03:37 PM

Depends on the amount of air being flowed.

Phuck Phace 10-10-2012 03:39 PM

Go 1-7/8.

Grandpa 10-10-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phuck Phace (Post 7142)
Go 1-7/8.

That makes sense for a boosted car, not so much for N/A. On motor his car might be a little lazy until he hits the panic button.

Midnight11 10-10-2012 03:46 PM

hes got nawsssss though lol

Phuck Phace 10-10-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7143)
That makes sense for a boosted car, not so much for N/A. On motor his car might be a little lazy until he hits the panic button.

Futureproofing, better to put them in now than to change them out later.

BLK2012GT 10-10-2012 04:03 PM

Just got off the phone with Tim and he explained everything.

Midnight11 10-10-2012 04:04 PM

explain what he said lol

Phuck Phace 10-10-2012 04:09 PM

Check this...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...8-headers.html

Grandpa 10-10-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT (Post 7158)
Just got off the phone with Tim and he explained everything.

Oh lord... lol.

TrueStreetTim 10-10-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7162)
Oh lord... lol.

:Nonono:

As we know; any engine will make its best overall power when treated as a complete system. Let me nerd out for a moment....

As engine speed increases, so does flow rate. As restrictions (collector, converter, muffler, bends etc) increase, velocity reduces power accordingly. Smaller diameter pipes flow less volume than larger ones, but the exhaust in the smaller pipe flows faster. Until you reach the RPM where the sheer volume of exhaust gases require bigger primary tubes. This is the basis for the OP's question.

Essentially; Each header size creates a certain "torque boost". The size of the header determines at what RPM. If you plan to drive the car around all day at say, 3-4.5 RPM, a 1" 5/8 header is your man! Any bigger and you'll lose a noticeable amount of low end torque. 1" 7/8 header lives above 5k where most of you have your fun. Not to mention the Coyote's spin to the 7's. There is no reason not to go for the 1" 7/8 with the Coyote in our opinion....no matter the combo.

Grandpa 10-10-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7138)
Depends on the amount of air being flowed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7143)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim (Post 7175)
:Nonono:

As we know; any engine will make its best overall power when treated as a complete system. Let me nerd out for a moment....

As engine speed increases, so does flow rate. As restrictions (collector, converter, muffler, bends etc) increase, velocity reduces power accordingly. Smaller diameter pipes flow less volume than larger ones, but the exhaust in the smaller pipe flows faster. Until you reach the RPM where the sheer volume of exhaust gases require bigger primary tubes. This is the basis for the OP's question.

Essentially; Each header size creates a certain "torque boost". The size of the header determines at what RPM. If you plan to drive the car around all day at say, 3-4.5 RPM, a 1" 5/8 header is your man! Any bigger and you'll lose a noticeable amount of low end torque. 1" 7/8 header lives above 5k where most of you have your fun. Not to mention the Coyote's spin to the 7's. There is no reason not to go for the 1" 7/8 with the Coyote in our opinion....no matter the combo.

That's what I said. lol. :favorites37:

BLK2012GT 10-10-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7176)
That's what I said. lol. :favorites37:

Is not

Courtesy Flush 10-10-2012 05:31 PM

The pypes headers are what i wish i went with, even with all their bad rep with fitment and quality. Seen quite a few guys running em and making good power. Stepped header design 1 5/8ths stepped to 1 7/8th into a 3 inch collector.

Best of both worlds? could be.

Wouldn't know as i went with the 1 7/8th SW setup personally, very exotic sound with these headers when you creep into the top of the rpm band.

TrueStreetTim 10-10-2012 06:51 PM

Nice, yo. I like how they concluded that no TQ was lost which is to be expected. Shorty's to LT's would show a loss but, again, only up to its volumetric efficiency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 7188)
The pypes headers are what i wish i went with, even with all their bad rep with fitment and quality. Seen quite a few guys running em and making good power. Stepped header design 1 5/8ths stepped to 1 7/8th into a 3 inch collector.

If it were a carbureted, open header car 110% yes. The smaller diameter section on a stepped design helps to scavenge the gases out of the motor making the cylinder more efficient. Non-carbureted cars, and especially the Coyote, we are able to tune each cylinder individually (bonus)! Once you bolt on an exhaust (with its added restrictions), no matter the platform, the design fails and negates all advantages. Feel good about your purchase, man!