Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   MGW Race spec (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=4742)

Mustangdude72 12-04-2014 07:32 PM

MGW Race spec

2 Attachment(s)
just put in my order for MGWs newest shifter for the MT-82 which in theory should completely eliminate any more annoying missed shifts or high rpm lockouts, the new design uses a upper support beam to replace the oem shifter support arm, as well as a redesigned shift linkage arm. MGW claims this shifter will take away the need for any other kind of support brackets/bushings. This shifter is marketed mainly towards those who spend a good amount of time tracking their car, the first batch already sold out and the list for the second batct that ships mid-december is filling up fast. Very interested to see how this will fair as I already have a steeda short throw (previous owners mistake, not mine), whiteline bushing, and barton shifter bracket, even with all that I found myself locked out and just plain missing gears quite often. I have tried different driving styles as well i.e. slower more deliberate shifting.

Monolith 12-04-2014 10:04 PM

Can't wait to hear if this improves the shifts more...I find myself being locked out on the 1-2 high RPM shift ALOT and it's so annoying.

If you don't mind me asking...how much was it?

Mustangdude72 12-05-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 76607)
Can't wait to hear if this improves the shifts more...I find myself being locked out on the 1-2 high RPM shift ALOT and it's so annoying.

If you don't mind me asking...how much was it?

$487 for the race spec, if u already have a gen 1 or 2 they give back $200 credit if you want to trade up

EDIT: if you want to order one now you have to call mgw as its not up on their site yet

TEK302 12-05-2014 03:56 PM

Still a remote shifter. Yeah its pretty stiff and looks cool. If you already have a short throw, just get a blowfish bracket.

Mustangdude72 12-05-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEK302 (Post 76612)
Still a remote shifter. Yeah its pretty stiff and looks cool. If you already have a short throw, just get a blowfish bracket.

I've heard too many bad reviews concerning bad nvh issues, the mgw gives you options in whether you want a no nvh perfect shift or a little harsher and firmer race bushings in different areas of the shifter.

BlackStang08 12-05-2014 11:47 PM

Looks like a quality piece.

TEK302 12-06-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustangdude72 (Post 76621)
I've heard too many bad reviews concerning bad nvh issues, the mgw gives you options in whether you want a no nvh perfect shift or a little harsher and firmer race bushings in different areas of the shifter.

They have a fix coming out this month

Mustangdude72 12-07-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEK302 (Post 76645)
They have a fix coming out this month

Yes, I seen this new design and while it addresses the nvh, it still doesn't fix the shift linkage arm that in oem form has 4 points of swivel, I've already ordered my MGW I was originally going to get the new revised blowfish bracket and order a mgw gen 2 but then I found out they were about to drop this new shifter, I decided it would suit me best.

TEK302 12-07-2014 12:45 PM

The swivel stays straight with the bracket. Its no longer shifting side to side. That's the reason it was used by Ford. To reduce binding when the linkage would flex BC of the remote design

BLK2012GT 12-07-2014 01:18 PM

Yeah Ill stick with my blowfish bracket.

Mustangdude72 02-11-2015 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so I've had the shifter for about a week now and the difference is pretty significant coming from a steeda tri-ax and Barton gen 1 shifter bracket, I've put it thru the main test where I had problems and it performed perfectly, shifting at 7800 while going around a banking feels the same as shifting at 3000 going straight

my95z28 02-12-2015 01:35 AM

I like your knob

Monolith 02-12-2015 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustangdude72 (Post 77084)
Ok so I've had the shifter for about a week now and the difference is pretty significant coming from a steeda tri-ax and Barton gen 1 shifter bracket, I've put it thru the main test where I had problems and it performed perfectly, shifting at 7800 while going around a banking feels the same as shifting at 3000 going straight

Dude thanks for updating us...some of my issues have gone away with more time in the seat....I've noticed alot of my issues with the 1 - 2 was hitting the center of 2 and 4...I've adjusted my throw and it's improved alot...still would like to upgrade so I can get rid of that cheap clanky MT82 shift feel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by my95z28 (Post 77089)
I like your knob

WHOA!

BlackStang08 02-12-2015 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my95z28 (Post 77089)
I like your knob

You should see mine, haha. Seriously though, the knob looks tall to me.?.

Mustangdude72 02-12-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 77090)
Dude thanks for updating us...some of my issues have gone away with more time in the seat....I've noticed alot of my issues with the 1 - 2 was hitting the center of 2 and 4...I've adjusted my throw and it's improved alot...still would like to upgrade so I can get rid of that cheap clanky MT82 shift feel.

WHOA!

This definitely takes the cheap feel away, feels much more like my terminator did and I love that, and I had them set the knob like a 1/4 inch higher than normal because I thought with my knob it might be a lil short but where it's at is perfect in terms of the amount of leverage you have, each shift is a joy now, and heel toe downshifting is no longer sketchy :party28: