Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   It's that time again! My annual job hunting thread! (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3746)

pohnjarker 02-28-2014 04:07 PM

im feeling the same as you are, i work on computer and sitting behind a desk on a computer for the past 13 years is starting to suck now that im back in the states. afghanland was cool so it wasnt bad.

im looking to get out and do something with my hands...looking for oilfield work now myself.

im also driving 80 miles one way to work every day and it sucks...good luck with finding something you like man.

Zeek 02-28-2014 04:35 PM

Could always apply to Pepsi we're always hiring. Lowest jobs are operators and they make $15.50 a hour. Idk what your used to making. They get a lot of overtime too.

zsommer79 02-28-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pohnjarker (Post 65777)
im looking to get out and do something with my hands...looking for oilfield work now myself.

im also driving 80 miles one way to work every day and it sucks...good luck with finding something you like man.

There is plenty of money to be had in the Oilfield, just not in the DFW. In Midland the only real qualification you need is to pass a drug test.

Guessing your the guy I met at the Plano meet last Friday night from Gun Barrel driving the SG Paxton car?

1andonlywhitie 02-28-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeek (Post 65780)
Could always apply to Pepsi we're always hiring. Lowest jobs are operators and they make $15.50 a hour. Idk what your used to making. They get a lot of overtime too.

I applied there a few times and never heard any response, maybe I'll jump back onto them and see what I can get. I'm sick of sales... ugh.

brtnstrns 03-01-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andonlywhitie (Post 65752)
Gainesville is a bit too far for a daily commute, unfortunately.

Haha, yeah I've been driving from Lewisville to Gainesville every day for the past 2 1/2 years which is like 58 miles one way. I'm an engineer there though so I don't necessarily have to be there for 10 hours a day, although I do do that sometimes.

1andonlywhitie 03-01-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtnstrns (Post 65845)
Haha, yeah I've been driving from Lewisville to Gainesville every day for the past 2 1/2 years which is like 58 miles one way. I'm an engineer there though so I don't necessarily have to be there for 10 hours a day, although I do do that sometimes.

Good god that's a lot of driving... although being an engineer pays for that I bet lol..

I just need out of sales, it's frustrating and discouraging to me to work hard on a deal for a hundred bucks and see another sales person fall into a deal that make $500-600. I guess I don't like the portion of sales that comes from the luck of what your customer has for you to work with. I'd rather just bust my ass every day and get paid for my time and effort instead..

Dominic Toretto 03-01-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andonlywhitie (Post 65846)
Good god that's a lot of driving... although being an engineer pays for that I bet lol..

I just need out of sales, it's frustrating and discouraging to me to work hard on a deal for a hundred bucks and see another sales person fall into a deal that make $500-600. I guess I don't like the portion of sales that comes from the luck of what your customer has for you to work with. I'd rather just bust my ass every day and get paid for my time and effort instead..

Definitely hear you on that. I interned as a salesman for Chevy for like two months in 2002. Managers berating you all the time, skin getting 4 shades darker from ALWAYS having to be outside. Income being a matter of luck. Sucks bro, good luck on everything.

-Alex

ThunderkissGT14 03-02-2014 12:53 AM

Pat McCrotch 03-02-2014 03:39 AM

Have you thought about the railroad? The 2 big ones in town hire all the time. BNSF and UPRR. I have worked for both, BNSF is a lot better to work for than UPRR but they both pay real good, have great benefits and retirement...

1andonlywhitie 03-04-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat McCrotch (Post 65884)
Have you thought about the railroad? The 2 big ones in town hire all the time. BNSF and UPRR. I have worked for both, BNSF is a lot better to work for than UPRR but they both pay real good, have great benefits and retirement...

Just looked it up and again I think it's too far for a daily commute. Being in McKinney I could go as far as maybe Dallas or as far north as maybe Sherman. I'd love something with set hours and consistent pay where I can just go work my ass off and take my normal check home every week.

That would take a lot of stress away, not dealing with sales and having inconsistent pay..

1andonlywhitie 03-08-2014 12:34 PM

Still looking... I trawl CareerBuilder, Monster and Craigslist every day and I've applied to a bunch of stuff, no replies yet but still hopeful.

I've decided I'd like a job where I just have to work, I don't wanna do any more sales, I don't want to deal with customer shit, I just want to work hard, get my hands dirty and take home a check every week. Apparently those jobs are hard to find in McKinney and it's surrounding cities...

JDMLOL 03-08-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andonlywhitie (Post 66260)
Still looking... I trawl CareerBuilder, Monster and Craigslist

Not to discourage you, but typically by the time a job is posted on one of those sites and someone contacts the company to inquire about a position, it has already been filled. Your best bet is to have a connection through a friend, acquaintance, family. Are you on LinkedIn?

1andonlywhitie 03-08-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMLOL (Post 66270)
Not to discourage you, but typically by the time a job is posted on one of those sites and someone contacts the company to inquire about a position, it has already been filled. Your best bet is to have a connection through a friend, acquaintance, family. Are you on LinkedIn?

I'm not, is it a good resource? I'm also emailing companies nearby that I feel I would be a good fit for but maybe LinkedIn would be a good idea too!

JDMLOL 03-08-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andonlywhitie (Post 66271)
I'm not, is it a good resource? I'm also emailing companies nearby that I feel I would be a good fit for but maybe LinkedIn would be a good idea too!

It can be. Sort of like Facebook for professionals. You can connect with friends, colleagues, family, etc. they also have job postings. You build a profile with your work/professional experience and skills.

I just recently graduated from TCU and my mother works in the career center there. That's where I learned that traditional job websites aren't very effective.

Pat McCrotch 03-08-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andonlywhitie (Post 66000)
Just looked it up and again I think it's too far for a daily commute. Being in McKinney I could go as far as maybe Dallas or as far north as maybe Sherman. I'd love something with set hours and consistent pay where I can just go work my ass off and take my normal check home every week.

That would take a lot of stress away, not dealing with sales and having inconsistent pay..

For $90,000+ a year, I would make the drive, then move when possible, but that's just me..

Good luck with the search.