Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   DFW tuners (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=4568)

rlhay2 09-07-2014 05:32 PM

DFW tuners

It occurred to me at the GT500 lunch yesterday that there are lots disgruntled customers from the DFW Ford enthusiast community. As most know, I am currently a True Street customer but I am rather forthright and vocal about what I want and what I think is reasonable to expect.

As someone else mentioned, there is no independent shop that has the resources that Ford has available. That said, whether mail order or custom tuned, a dedicated tuner whom is truly interested in delivering a well tuned car, is capable of doing so.

But it takes time!
Typically, more than one day.

And if the car is extensively modded, it may take several days. Furthermore, if you are using forced induction or NOS, the only "true" way to tune the car is on the road in real world conditions. Dynos are useful, but they are not indicative of "real world conditions". This means trusting your tuner to drive your car or the owner making time to drive the car while the tuner datalogs and observes.

And for this to happen, it is not going to be discounted or a group purchase price or "hookup". If after all this, you still have a car that does not run correctly, find another tuner. And if you have burned bridges with all the tuning options in DFW, start turning it yourself.

If you have chosen mail order and the tuner has not requested datalogs of the car being started and driven in a certain manner, you have been short changed.

It's the performance triangle principle:

High Performance
Reliable
Affordable

You only get two!

I have a reliable, 1000+hp weekend car, it was not cheap. But I expected this before I began this journey. If at any point I feel that I am no longer getting the service I expect from a shop, I'll take my business elsewhere. There isn't a Ford shop in DFW that doesn't appreciate a good customer!

downtime! 09-07-2014 06:13 PM

I disagree with your last sentence. I was a good customer to a very well known shop in the area and when it became clear that they could not tune my car in the manner they said they could, I was "put on hold", ignored, and generally made to go somewhere else, all without them actually saying anything like that, so it would appear to be my decision to leave. I really don't think I asked too much either. Simply put, I wanted a supercharged car that would make in the mid 600's and drive like a stocker. I ended up with a car that made the hp, and ran awesome at the track, but was an absolute disaster on the street. Erratic idle, dying at red lights, cruise rpm at steady state driving would fluctuate up and down all over the place. The shop never admitted blame, and basically quit returning my calls.

After several months and multiple trips to the shop, to "get it right this time", I ended up back at the old standby shop, where I should have gone in the first place. He took good care of me, had the car for a couple of weeks, replaced a lot of parts that I suspected shouldn't have been used in the first place, and returned to me an awesome running and driving car.

It doesn't matter how much you spend on things, and it doesn't matter what the shops reputation is, if they realize they can't deliver what they promised, they will find a way to edge you out the door. Best to find a shop that you like, and trust, and develop a relationship with them. Don't go simply by reputation.

62nalide 09-08-2014 01:31 AM

Many have dropped the same shop you have and are waaaaaay happier over @ PMP

rlhay2 09-08-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

After several months and multiple trips to the shop, to "get it right this time", I ended up back at the old standby shop, where I should have gone in the first place. He took good care of me, had the car for a couple of weeks, replaced a lot of parts that I suspected shouldn't have been used in the first place, and returned to me an awesome running and driving car.
By your own admission, you had a good relationship with Shop A (that did good work). Why did you try shop B (which did not do a good job on your car)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62nalide (Post 74563)
Many have dropped the same shop you have and are waaaaaay happier over @ PMP

And if the level of customer service I receive changes, I may do the same. This is not a cheerleading thread. If I did not mention the shop I use, someone else would have.

Customers need to know that good work takes time and costs money. The Wal-Mart business model does not work well with performance cars. Competition makes all the shops better! Each one should welcome a quality competitor.

62nalide 09-08-2014 06:54 PM

I have buddies in the ford and GM world that started where you went. They were happy at 1st and later they didn't like the "customer" service. I won't mention names, there's always 2 sides to a story but when more and more people talk about the same experience its hard not to pick side. We have a buddy's car at PMP now that just picked up 22rwhp over the old tune so things are looking good!

Dominic Toretto 09-08-2014 07:36 PM

Sounds like the old adage, "you get what you pay for" applies. Not shocking.

-Alex

downtime! 09-08-2014 08:02 PM

Because shop B is "the" shop that everyone talks so highly about. Naturally, as a Mustang enthusiast, you want the best when it comes to spending your money. I went in, they did their sales pitch, even had a "demo" car I could check out to see the "quality" of their work. When we took the car back to stock, the sheer amount of crappy work and cut corners was staggering. They could offer the next installation for free and I'd say go fuck yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlhay2 (Post 74564)
By your own admission, you had a good relationship with Shop A (that did good work). Why did you try shop B (which did not do a good job on your car)?

And if the level of customer service I receive changes, I may do the same. This is not a cheerleading thread. If I did not mention the shop I use, someone else would have.

Customers need to know that good work takes time and costs money. The Wal-Mart business model does not work well with performance cars. Competition makes all the shops better! Each one should welcome a quality competitor.

62nalide 09-08-2014 11:39 PM

Not trying to stir the pot here but damn PMP did a hell of a job from what a well known and talked about shop did. Lol picked up 29rwhp and 80rwtq yes no BS either. I'll try to post the graph. Waiting 2 Months for a tune my ass lol

rlhay2 09-09-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62nalide (Post 74580)
Not trying to stir the pot here but damn PMP did a hell of a job from what a well known and talked about shop did.

Why is everyone on this site so damn vague?
Are you guys fearful of being called out?
If saying what is on your mind and is supported by unbiased empirical evidence is frowned upon, then I am likely to get banned.

Quote:

Lol picked up 29rwhp and 80rwtq yes no BS either. I'll try to post the graph. l
Sounds good!
But post both dynos, including ambient weather temps from both days.
My car dynos ~100hp different in the summer than it does in the winter.

62nalide 09-09-2014 10:36 AM

Ok so this is a 2011 with LTs, off road X-pipe CAI and a tune from shop A. Car was at shop A 2 months yes 2 moths for their tune which gave us the 1st results you see. We let the car cool for about an hour before we got these sad baselines smh...... After a few hours at PMP the car felt like a whole new car!

http://i60.tinypic.com/1z4c2ms.jpg

Courtesy Flush 09-09-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62nalide (Post 74586)
Ok so this is a 2011 with LTs, off road X-pipe CAI and a tune from shop A. Car was at shop A 2 months yes 2 moths for their tune which gave us the 1st results you see. We let the car cool for about an hour before we got these sad baselines smh...... After a few hours at PMP the car felt like a whole new car!

http://i60.tinypic.com/1z4c2ms.jpg

What dyno? Those #'s seems awfully low for a bolt on 5.0.

62nalide 09-09-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 74587)
What dyno? Those #'s seems awfully low for a bolt on 5.0.

Whatever PMP uses I wanna say a dynojet. But track numbers is what we are into not what a sheet of paper says we have.

Edit: And has 3.73 gear swap also

Courtesy Flush 09-09-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62nalide (Post 74588)
Whatever PMP uses I wanna say a dynojet. But track numbers is what we are into not what a sheet of paper says we have.

Edit: And has 3.73 gear swap also

You started commenting in this thread about how different dyno #'s were from shop A to B. Now they don't matter?
What did the car run at the track on tune A vs tune B.

If you're going to compare one run to another bring all the facts.
Conditions, Temps, Brand of Dyno....this stuff makes a difference in #'s.

62nalide 09-09-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 74590)
You started commenting in this thread about how different dyno #'s were from shop A to B. Now they don't matter?
What did the car run at the track on tune A vs tune B.

If you're going to compare one run to another bring all the facts.
Conditions, Temps, Brand of Dyno....this stuff makes a difference in #'s.

Where on here am I stating that it matters? I started talking about experiences with big name shops. Shop A had the car running 8.40s back to back when the car ran 8.50s stock. With the mods it had it should be running 7.90s at least. Car fell on it's face when going into gear. Now the graph posted is showing the gains they picked up. Again same day baseline is on top same day finished tune on bottom. It matters to me what was picked up. I can careless what the final number is. The dyno did it's job measuring the gains.

Courtesy Flush 09-09-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62nalide (Post 74591)
Where on here am I stating that it matters? I started talking about experiences with big name shops. Shop A had the car running 8.40s back to back when the car ran 8.50s stock. With the mods it had it should be running 7.90s at least. Car fell on it's face when going into gear. Now the graph posted is showing the gains they picked up. Again same day baseline is on top same day finished tune on bottom. It matters to me what was picked up. I can careless what the final number is. The dyno did it's job measuring the gains.

Up until this post you haven't given any info other than final dyno #'s.....
it obviously means something to you, if not then why post it.
When the car was running/shifting so badly did the car go back to the initial tuner to look it over and make it right?
I'm simply asking for information.

62nalide 09-09-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 74594)
Up until this post you haven't given any info other than final dyno #'s.....
it obviously means something to you, if not then why post it.
When the car was running/shifting so badly did the car go back to the initial tuner to look it over and make it right?
I'm simply asking for information.

Read post #5, then from there you will see and read what shop A did and final #s from PMP. It means that I do care what was fixed when Shop A had the car 2 months to install headers and injectors and tune. Shop A said they need about another month just to tune it. The initial tuner couldn't give us a straight answer for not being done right the 1st place.

rlhay2 09-09-2014 02:31 PM

Who was Shop A?

blownaltered 09-09-2014 03:12 PM

This shop A and B shit is getting old. There are to many people posting in here to have any idea what the fuck any of you are talking about.

62nalide 09-09-2014 03:21 PM

If the mods will let me post it I will. Been warned before since they sponsor on here

Courtesy Flush 09-09-2014 03:46 PM

I'm assuming Shop A is Truestreet or HPP.

62nalide 09-09-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 74604)
I'm assuming Shop A is Truestreet or HPP.

Awesome guess lol

DirtyD 09-09-2014 04:22 PM

Shop A is Gearheads, Shop B is HPP in Bryan's case.

Courtesy Flush 09-09-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62nalide (Post 74596)
Read post #5, then from there you will see and read what shop A did and final #s from PMP. It means that I do care what was fixed when Shop A had the car 2 months to install headers and injectors and tune. Shop A said they need about another month just to tune it. The initial tuner couldn't give us a straight answer for not being done right the 1st place.

I've read the thread. You seem to leave parts of the story out.

Quote:

2011 with LTs, off road X-pipe CAI and a tune from shop A. Car was at shop A 2 months yes 2 moths for their tune
Quote:

Shop A had the car 2 months to install headers and injectors and tune.

blownaltered 09-09-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 74607)
Shop A is Gearheads, Shop B is HPP in Bryan's case.

People still take their cars to Gearheads on purpose?

62nalide 09-09-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 74608)
I've read the thread. You seem to leave parts of the story out.

What is it you would like to know? The car was at the shop 2 months to get headers and injectors done and to retune the car. They didn't tune it right, they said another month before they can tune it right

rlhay2 09-09-2014 09:24 PM

We all make mistakes.
I took my car to Lone Star Performance once...a mistake I will never make again. I don't need to sully their poor reputation. I have voted with my wallet. 1000hp cars are not cheap. And not a penny was spent at LSP after that 1st visit.

blownaltered 09-09-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlhay2 (Post 74614)
We all make mistakes.
I took my car to Lone Star Performance once...a mistake I will never make again. I don't need to sully their poor reputation. I have voted with my wallet. 1000hp cars are not cheap. And not a penny was spent at LSP after that 1st visit.

I know at one point lonestar was a good shop. They did all my work a decade ago. That is when Mike Wilson was tuning there. Now that was ten years ago. I have no idea who works there anymore or who even tunes there anymore. I can tell you all shops have had there ups and downs.

There isn't a shop that hasn't had bad things happen. I've been around this scene so long I got some stories, I just don't share them because usually there is no reason to go down that road.

The true fact is a shop can put out 50 cars with no issues and then one bad one will stick forever. Most customers the shops have don't post on these forums.

I know guys that leave one shop because they have gone through motors and it doesn't run right. Then they will go to different shop and at the same time that shop has a car going to the shop they left for the same reason. I actually find it entertaining most days.

DirtyD 09-09-2014 10:59 PM

Speaking of Mike Wilson.....is that lying thieving tooner still tooning for True Street?

blownaltered 09-09-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 74617)
Speaking of Mike Wilson.....is that lying thieving tooner still tooning for True Street?

I've known Mike for over a decade and he has always been a stand up guy, not sure where this comment is coming from.

DirtyD 09-09-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownaltered (Post 74618)
I've known Mike for over a decade and he has always been a stand up guy, not sure where this comment is coming from.

This just happened recently.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ermotive-tunes

More specifically Shaun's post regarding this situation:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...1#post14401092

Quote:

2nd, I've been in DFW on Business since Early Tuesday, returned Late Thursday and have been working at the shop catching up with in-house tunes/customers. I've had virtually no time to deal with this situation that has popped up on the internet Drama Boards, aside from responding to a few emails here and there when I can find the time.

3rd, I recorded the phone calls for 1 reason only. To cover my ass in the event this went public. Public opinion in this matters and the best defense I could think of was to have the actual phone calls recorded. The Last thing I wanted to get into was a 'He said, She said' online argument.

4th, There is more than 1 AED based tune file out there from Mike Wilson. Here is a list of files I've sent to Mike since March, when we know he started tuning for Hypermotive. Of course I was told all of these were for in-person tunes, I can only assume based of other evidence (read below) at least some of these were used for HPM customers.
2012, 2013 Boss All-Motor files sent to Mike on 3/21
2013 Paxton Auto file: 3/21
2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 A6 All-Motor files: 4/2
2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 M6 All-Motor files: 4/2
2013 TVS and Whipple A6 files: 5/23
SCJ All Motor Value file: 6/4 *Note* this corresponds to this particular customer/thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-AED-tuned-%29
Prior to March I sent Mike Hellion files, Paxton M6 files, Procharger files, Manguson file, and Ecoboost files.

I have all the above Emails saved to back this up.

5th, As some have stated I mark my tune files, all of them. One way is to chage the Strategy code in the Binary. I have a list of these that correspond to specific applications. For instance, some of my all motor M6 files will show an A6 strategy code.
There are other things in my files that are very distinct, and here are 2 that stand out to the customer and were evidence my work was used in more than 1 HPM tune:
1. Fuel economy increases of 2-4MPG. These changes are very specific via TiVCT and due to the (mild) complexity of the Coyote TiVCT system copy/pasting a single table does NOT work. A tuner must know the 4 tables that are used and how they interact, plus have done the R&D to determine the cam timing that yields the best fuel economy. I can not name more than a 1/2 a dozen tuners that can do this accurately on thier own, all of which I personally trained, Mike was not one of them.
Here is a link to show when I implemented this into AED's all-motor tunes: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-tune-can-help
2. Refined, 'Linear' Throttle response. This is a very tricky one actually. Most tuners use Driver demand to modify throttle response, but given the complexity of the HDFX system modifying 1 table for all 13 Ford defined valve events (in the coyote) results in smoothing some areas during certain driving conditions and accentuating problems in other areas during orther driving conditions (jerky throttle when cold for instance) as Cam timing changes. As such, my files refine the Throttle under EACH valve event, thus refining the throttle response under all driving conditions. This is particularly important for Road Race applications.
Due to the complexity of forcing each valve event and modifying each set of tables it's highly unlikely anyone has done this aside from me. Especially since SCT Live Link can not data log the parameters necessary to properly dial in these tables. I used alternate logging software and spent 9 months figuring out what to modify, then 12 hours on the chassis dyno doing the actual calibration.

When I saw posts about Fuel economy increases and Refined/smooth throttle response from HPM tuned customers, I knew what files were being used, but I did not know who was doing HPM's tuning at the time. That triggered an exhaustive investigation that included 1/2 a dozen shops/tuners around the country, all of which have an invested interest as their work is in these tune files as well. I work with some of the best in the industry and we coordinate on not only tuning, but pricing as well so as not to be in competition with each other.
We ordered Hypermotive tunes. Not all tunes that came thru were AED based, some were based on Bama tunes from what we could tell (another clue on who the HPM tuner was). To be clear we have many AED based HPM tunes, and I'm sure there are many more out there I do not know about, it's not just the SCJ file as claimed. (I let Mike slide on that in the phone convesations.)
It took us 6 weeks to accumulate the necessary evidence to callout Mike on being the HPM tuner, but I still needed HARD evidence, and that came from his confession.

6th I did NOT want all of this posted ot the public message boards. ShaunC and Nosympathy can attest to that as I specifically asked them many times via email to keep it quiet as I stand just as much to lose (if not more) as HPM and Mike does.
Fact is Many HPM tunes have my work in them, we have all the evidence to prove this.
Per the Phone conversation Mike had the tune price raised to $250, I did not ask him to no longer use my work, that was his decision. All I asked for was the price be raised so as not to undercut me with my own work.
Mike stopped using my work as of 8/6 and the posts on the internet confirm this as customers have reported drivability issues, knock sensors values changed so knock can not be logged (like Bama), etc. It is CLEAR those tunes are NOT AED based.
However, once the pricing dropped to $200 it was also clear Mike was not a man of his word. Since I have caught him in multiple lies I can not trust what he says. The price drop to $200 was just another sign of what was coming.
With the resent rash of unsatisfied HPM customers going to Me, Lund, and many other tuners it was simply a matter of time before Mike started using my tune files again. If you listen carefully to the phone call Mike told me he deleted all the emails from me. He did NOT say he delete the actual tune files, and even if he did what about the customers that are already tuned with AED files? Do you think he deleted all of those customer's files? I do NOT.

That would mean using AED's work and selling the tunes for $200, once again undercutting me with my own work. This is what I was expecting within a few weeks at most.
My goal for 'leaking' the information to ShaunC was to try and stem the tide of losing business to HPM by slowly and quietly informing those looking for HPM tunes of what was really going on. Yes, I offered a discounted rate to HPM tuned customers *IF* they kept all of this quiet and off the boards.

These are MY mistakes, and for that Mike Wilson I do appologize. Jason, I applogize for this as well. Honest and truely, I did NOT want this dirty laundry going public like this.

BlackStang08 09-09-2014 11:34 PM

HPP is where I go. Manny is the best Mustang tuner around.

62nalide 09-09-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackStang08 (Post 74621)
HPP is where I go. Manny is the best Mustang tuner around.

Lol you might wanna look at the graph I posted

downtime! 09-10-2014 12:05 AM

My '12, with CAI, off road X, and BBK long tubes, tuned by Travis, made 435 and 410.

After the HPP fiasco, he was able to smooth the tune out, make the car completely driveable again (it ran so bad, I parked it and bought an '05 GT to drive daily), and still got me over 600 rwhp. With that tune, and 100 shot, the car ran 10.1x's even with my old, no shiftin' ass behind the wheel.

Gearheads has done right by me more times than I can count, going all the way back to my Procharged '03. They take a lot of shit around here, but in the end, results count.

BlackStang08 09-10-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62nalide (Post 74624)
Lol you might wanna look at the graph I posted

That graph doesn't say much. Unless we know air/fuel, temp, timing, fuel type, etc. We also can't see the mods the car had when the dyno graph was made. You could have more mods, torco, and timing in the last run.

blownaltered 09-10-2014 12:38 AM

Nevermind, I had to stop myself. I'm glad your happy with Gearheads.

62nalide 09-10-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackStang08 (Post 74627)
That graph doesn't say much. Unless we know air/fuel, temp, timing, fuel type, etc. We also can't see the mods the car had when the dyno graph was made. You could have more mods, torco, and timing in the last run.

The baseline was done with LT, CAI, off road x-pipe, injectors and E85. Car ran like shit and being at the shop for 2 months for that poor ass tune. Swapped tuners and fixed the mistake that was done by "HPP"...

downtime! 09-10-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62nalide (Post 74629)
The baseline was done with LT, CAI, off road x-pipe, injectors and E85. Car ran like shit and being at the shop for 2 months for that poor ass tune. Swapped tuners and fixed the mistake that was done by "HPP"...

Both of those numbers were on E85? My 435/410 was on 93 pump gas. Are you sure you're happy with those results? Travis is notorious for tuning conservatively, but looks like he left a lot on the table there.

62nalide 09-10-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 74632)
Both of those numbers were on E85? My 435/410 was on 93 pump gas. Are you sure you're happy with those results? Travis is notorious for tuning conservatively, but looks like he left a lot on the table there.

Honestly I'm not happy but wanna see what it runs and traps. Yes both were E85. The baseline is a 2month waited tune by HPP. Most likely if my buddy isn't happy it will be up for sale.

BlackStang08 09-10-2014 11:15 AM

Did you have bigger plans for your car? Surpised you went with injectors and E85 with "mild" mods.

Sucks he got a crappy tune. When my car was up there for mods and tune, the morning car was a 5.0 with E85 and HUGE twin screw. When I went to HPP they were scheduling one tune in the morning and one for the afternoon.

When you say 2 month wait, do you mean he had to wait two months for a tune? I don't doubt that. I called up to make an appt and they were booked a month and a half out. So I pretty muched waited almost 2 months. The good thing is that they didn't have my car for two months and I was able to drop it off in the morning and have it back in the evening.

rlhay2 09-10-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownaltered (Post 74616)
I know at one point lonestar was a good shop. They did all my work a decade ago.

When I used them they were remote tuning with John Lund. I dropped off a 640 rwhp car and picked up a built motor 615 rwhp car. Took it to Archie King who delivered me a great running ~690 rwhp car and I was happy...until I wanted more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownaltered
I can tell you all shops have had there ups and downs.

I know guys that leave one shop because they have gone through motors and it doesn't run right. Then they will go to different shop and at the same time that shop has a car going to the shop they left for the same reason. I actually find it entertaining most days.

Quoted for truth! Most things are usually cyclical. But I believe in sharing. But not just sharing what I think should have happened but sharing all the relevant details. Even the embarrassing ones that usually begin "I was a naive consumer and..."