Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   exhaust question (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=918)

l3g1t 01-07-2013 11:18 PM

exhaust question

Okay, I've searched, I've youtube'd, listened to American Muscle and I'm still so lost. I want an exhaust that has a deep and noticeable tone at idle and of course WOT. I like the Flowmaster outlaws for axle back but after that I'm lost... not even sure those are what I want because youtube is deceptive. Can anyone steer me to the info/links/maybe even meet up some time to hear a setup? Also one big issue is I would really like to be able to pass inspection even if I have to unbolt and rebolt something each year. Thanks for any help

DirtyD 01-07-2013 11:25 PM

I still like the Borla S Type exhaust. The Attack series is much louder, but more drone.

I love my GT500s. I listened to Midnight's car tonight with GT500s and a O/R H pipe, and I am sold.

Don't worry about inspection. Unless the place puts your car on a lift, or you aren't lowered, the won't bother checking underneath to look for cats.

l3g1t 01-07-2013 11:30 PM

I am not sure I've ever heard what drone sounds like, also I'm not lowered yet but will be.

03MachMe 01-07-2013 11:36 PM

I have had GT500s, outlaws, and now have Roush. If you plan on changing the midpipe soon the GT500s are the best one out there in my opinion. If you plan on keeping stock midpipe for a while ( like I am) the Roush ab to me has the perfect match of volume and tone. The outlaws were amazing when driving around town but would drone like a mofo on the hwy. If you want to hear the roush in person let me know

DirtyD 01-07-2013 11:37 PM

Drone is that steady "hum" your exhaust has when kept at typical highway RPM. Much like the hum or drone a big motor or generator might have.

jayman33 01-07-2013 11:56 PM

What is your price limit? Take a look at the MRT interceptor at MRT-direct.com. I wasn't going to grab some to stock but after hearing their SEMA predator car and seeing the quality I had to grab some.

l3g1t 01-08-2013 12:25 AM

Maybe a little out of my budget on the H pipe I want but I love the Race H pipe with the KR axle back set up.... if something sounded remotely like that but a bit easier on the wallet I'd probably want it. Not really sure what a good budget would be for exhuast though maybe I was setting it too low

merlinmol 01-08-2013 12:27 AM

the MBRP exhaust on my car is sick, it's prolly a little too loud if your car is your daily driver.

l3g1t 01-08-2013 12:35 AM

It's not, its a weekend fun car that honestly I may want to be TOO loud because I want people looking while I idle lol

merlinmol 01-08-2013 12:54 AM

I don't have a clip of the exhaust, but it is loud and sounds amazing. Where in DFW are you located?

jayman33 01-08-2013 01:12 AM

MBRP race cat-back? I have a customer with it on his 2012, its mean!

Grandpa 01-08-2013 01:14 AM

My best advice would be make it out to a meet some time and listen to all the cars to see what you like. This is one of those questions that are completely subjective to individual taste. To add to that, even listening to exhaust clips online doesn't give you the real sound what that combo will sound like because you lose some of the audio integrity through your computer speakers. You can ask this question of a bunch of different people and you will always get different opinions.

pohnjarker 01-08-2013 04:35 AM

i agree, listening to exhausts online is terrible.

going to a meet would be your best bet to hear the different combos in action.

when i had cat deletes and muffler deletes, it was loud as shit...but had an annoying "blatty" sound, thats all i can say about it, but with just muffler deletes, much better.

i'll be going gt500s when i get home, i want more of a sleeper thing until i get on it! maybe throw an offroad H on it later, we'll see.

l3g1t 01-08-2013 09:13 AM

I'd love to come to a meet... All you Dallas county people keep them so far away lol. If I get dates I will probably start showing up.

Merlin, I live in Midlothian but if you wanted I could meet just about anywhere.

merlinmol 01-08-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayman33 (Post 14795)
MBRP race cat-back? I have a customer with it on his 2012, its mean!

Yup, I have the catted race, but most peeps think its not catted haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by l3g1t (Post 14806)
I'd love to come to a meet... All you Dallas county people keep them so far away lol. If I get dates I will probably start showing up.

Merlin, I live in Midlothian but if you wanted I could meet just about anywhere.

I am game to meet, but I do not always have the mustang with me, so it has to be planned in advance so I can swap it out for my daily. Most of us don't mind meeting up, where would you be willing to drive to?