Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Exhaust Design (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=654)

Dark Pony 11-15-2012 08:38 PM

Exhaust Design

The previous generations of the Mustangs were designed with the mufflers located under the cabin. The newer (05-13), have them located under the trunk area. Being that the setups are a touch different, does anyone know if there is a difference in performance (back pressure etc.) I am considering having a custom exhaust built and prefer that the mufflers be placed where the resonators are located. This is on a 2013. I am also curious how different the sound would be...Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

J

DirtyD 11-15-2012 08:49 PM

Is there enough room for a full size muffler there? I know the resonators are basically side by side before they go over the axle, so unless you are doing a simple flow-through/glass pack setup, I don't think it's doable.

And just fwiw, I'm pretty sure the older gen mustangs, at least 99-04, had the exhaust under the trunk pretty much, at least my friend's V6 does...I know the Cobra didn't because of the IRS

Dark Pony 11-15-2012 09:04 PM

Well, i dont plan on using a full size muffler. My thoughts were to go with a simple Twister or Bullett. Given the size of a Bullett, they should fit perfect considering they arent much larger than the resonator.

As far as the older gen's, (94-04), the mufflers were more centrally located. My 04 had a Dr Gas Catless X-pipe and a Bassani catback. Those catbacks were designed with the muffler before the axle.

Dark Pony 11-15-2012 09:05 PM

Well, i dont plan on using a full size muffler. My thoughts were to go with a simple Twister or Bullett. Given the size of a Bullett, they should fit perfect considering they arent much larger than the resonator.

As far as the older gen's, (94-04), the mufflers were more centrally located. My 04 had a Dr Gas Catless X-pipe and a Bassani catback. Those catbacks were designed with the muffler before the axle.

DirtyD 11-15-2012 09:18 PM

I don't see a problem with running that type of setup then.

Curious how it will sound with a little more pipe behind the muffler vs the stock style setups. should give it a nice deeper tone with less burble.

Dark Pony 11-19-2012 08:58 PM

Appt to get it built the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend. Anxious to hear it myself!

Phuck Phace 11-19-2012 09:09 PM

I ran a similar setup on my 2007 GT and it sounded good. Had magnapacks installed right in front of the axle.

Dark Pony 11-19-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phuck Phace (Post 9935)
I ran a similar setup on my 2007 GT and it sounded good. Had magnapacks installed right in front of the axle.

Cool! Glad to hear that. I wanted to go a bit unconventional.

Toby 11-20-2012 02:35 PM

There isn't enough room to fit a full size muffler there. A bullet style will fit no problem. Pypes offer a catback with that design. And actually they sound pretty good on these new 5.0 cars.

DirtyD 11-20-2012 02:54 PM

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sys-mustang2.html

Dark Pony 11-20-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 10006)

Sounds good, but I'm getting the x-pipe built at the same time and I'm not spending anywhere remotely close to list price. I appreciate you providing that link though! Essentially, the setup will be a 3 in x-pipe, Moroso Spintecs in place of the resonators (very comparable to the Pypes setup you just showed me) all in installed. A good friend of mine has been fabricating cars for years and has done the majority of the work on all of my previous vehicles.

DirtyD 11-20-2012 09:50 PM

Mind me asking where his exhaust shop is? I need to get my over-axle pipe realigned.

Grandpa 11-20-2012 11:27 PM

Side question, but why are people replacing the resonators with other bullet type mufflers? Is this to change the tone and/or volume or what?

DirtyD 11-20-2012 11:44 PM

I think the tone would change a little bit having more pipe volume after the muffler. Less rasp probably.

Grandpa 11-21-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 10127)
Less rasp probably.

That would be nice. These mods motors really like to make popping noises which can be a lil annoying.