Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anyone here A pro detailer / side gig? (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1994)

Grandpa 07-18-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt_Pooty (Post 35197)
If your ever in Plano, Steve at Showroom FX is Ah MAZE ING he is at Cars and Coffe Plano every weekend in a Gun Metal Viper... A lot of people in the car community go to him..

That guy has been around forever. At first he was a Zaino guy, then Tropicare and now FX.

Nick Chapman is very talented. He's been to SEMA a few times being invited out to detail cars there. He worked on some very high dollar cars so he obviously knows what he is doing. I don't know if he still in the business or not though. The last I heard anything about him he re-injured his back again pretty seriously and wasn't able to detail. That was awhile ago though and hopefully has recovered.

mustang1200 07-18-2013 11:46 AM

Everyone always talks about detailing the outside to near perfection, but you don't hear much about detailing interiors. I would like my truck detailed, but with the focus to be on the interior.

re-rx7 07-18-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang1200 (Post 41061)
Everyone always talks about detailing the outside to near perfection, but you don't hear much about detailing interiors. I would like my truck detailed, but with the focus to be on the interior.

Just a few tricks to get in the crevices then its straight forward.

mustang1200 07-18-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 41096)
Just a few tricks to get in the crevices then its straight forward.

I have tan interior. :( The floor mats need some work.

03MachMe 07-18-2013 04:31 PM

I finally got me a Porter cable so I will be doing mine at the end of summer most likely. Not sure if I will leave the stripes on or not..

re-rx7 07-18-2013 08:43 PM

For the leather be damn sure to use a ph neutral cleaner and a gd conditioner. For the money it's hard to beat lexal cleaner and conditioner. Plus it's widely available.

Ear rak 07-22-2013 08:19 PM

Out of curiosity, what does a full detail like this cost? I tried to keep my car as clean as I can but as a DD, it gets beat up driving to and from work through construction and is now beyond my capability.

DirtyD 07-22-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear rak (Post 41482)
Out of curiosity, what does a full detail like this cost? I tried to keep my car as clean as I can but as a DD, it gets beat up driving to and from work through construction and is now beyond my capability.

A good quality, multi-step detail will run $250-$300 starting out.

Ear rak 07-22-2013 08:41 PM

Thats more reasonable than I thought. I figured i'd get bent over just to have my car looks like new again.

Toby 07-22-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 35743)
I love doing it as a hobby for my car but it is a huge pain in the ass. Dual action polisher is the way to go to remove minor defects / swirls but it takes a LOT of time.

I for a short time used the 2 bucket method but no longer do that, I found something even better. 6-7 border-less microfiber towls and a bucket of soap. 1 towels per section (side, front, tops, etc) and discard it from your bucket, never reintroduce dirty towels, 2 bucket methods never fully get the item you were washing with completely clean again. And you used a LOT less water.

What do you do with those towels after a wash? Trash them? That is a very anal way of washing a car haha I bet that thing is shiny!! I just find the closest drive through wash and done.. Usually once a year I hit it with a clay bar and polish but that's about it..

Dan12GT 07-22-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 41499)
What do you do with those towels after a wash? Trash them? That is a very anal way of washing a car haha I bet that thing is shiny!! I just find the closest drive through wash and done.. Usually once a year I hit it with a clay bar and polish but that's about it..

I set them aside to be washed in the washing machine and reuse then next wash. Ya I'm super anal about keeping it clean. I usually wash once a week

re-rx7 07-23-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 41503)
I set them aside to be washed in the washing machine and reuse then next wash. Ya I'm super anal about keeping it clean. I usually wash once a week

That's an overly complicated way of washing your car. What you should really concern yourself with is drying. Alot of people over look this aspect. I wash mine on avg twice a week. Do not dry your microfiber. If I was you just buy a gd mit. I prefer Adams and wash as usual with the two bucket method. Also look into a nice paint sealant not just wax. Very helpful with black paint. Cquartz is the tits.

saunupe1911 07-23-2013 12:07 PM

It amazes me how many people neglect using sealants. Blackfire Wet Diamond is a game changer. That shit gives paint a layer of gloss and protection that no other product can deliver at this moment

saunupe1911 07-23-2013 12:15 PM

Dan, i wash my towels weekly as well. Microfiber towel is cheap, paint isn't. I never mix products and I use a special set of towels just for paint. I found out the hard way that all microfiber towel isn't made equal. Ironically, the $5 set of 5 from Walmart works the best besides my towel that came with the Blackfire Wet Diamond.

re-rx7 07-26-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 (Post 41553)
Dan, i wash my towels weekly as well. Microfiber towel is cheap, paint isn't. I never mix products and I use a special set of towels just for paint. I found out the hard way that all microfiber towel isn't made equal. Ironically, the $5 set of 5 from Walmart works the best besides my towel that came with the Blackfire Wet Diamond.

The best towels I have found so far are from Meguairs and they run about $10 a piece.