Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Foxbody 5.0s (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Trying to decide on future motor build (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2210)

blownaltered 12-09-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 58647)
lmao...

I know, I know. I did forget to attach the fact that combo is on a 363 not a 408. I'm also bored out of my fucking mind so I keep looking up shit. I'm just thinking a combo like that with less boost will put me where I want to be and if I ever wanted to turn it up I could.

STROKD 12-09-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownaltered (Post 58648)
I know, I know. I did forget to attach the fact that combo is on a 363 not a 408. I'm also bored out of my fucking mind so I keep looking up shit. I'm just thinking a combo like that with less boost will put me where I want to be and if I ever wanted to turn it up I could.

If that was a 408 with bigger heads, itd be that power on like 17 psi.

I plan to make that on race gas at about 12, but im turning big rpm and have 2 turbos similar in size.

blownaltered 12-12-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 58707)
If that was a 408 with bigger heads, itd be that power on like 17 psi.

I plan to make that on race gas at about 12, but im turning big rpm and have 2 turbos similar in size.

Trust me I know where your coming from but I have no desire to try and compete with guys running 1000hp. That's not what I'm into. Once upon a time I would have spent money to try and get there but I just want a certain power level and I will be fine. I know the 408 will make it easier but I would have to change to much stuff that I don't want to have to change.

I plan to make a plan to build both and see where I end up price wise. Since huge horsepower isn't my end goal it will most likely come down to price. If the 408 is within a certain amount of the 347 then I will start purchasing parts for it but if it is a lot more then I will stick with the 347, make my 650 to 700 hp and be happy.

STROKD 12-12-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownaltered (Post 58883)
Trust me I know where your coming from but I have no desire to try and compete with guys running 1000hp. That's not what I'm into. Once upon a time I would have spent money to try and get there but I just want a certain power level and I will be fine. I know the 408 will make it easier but I would have to change to much stuff that I don't want to have to change.

I plan to make a plan to build both and see where I end up price wise. Since huge horsepower isn't my end goal it will most likely come down to price. If the 408 is within a certain amount of the 347 then I will start purchasing parts for it but if it is a lot more then I will stick with the 347, make my 650 to 700 hp and be happy.

It depends on what you plan to replace anyway. If you are changing the intake and headers, parts are same price for either motor... if all you need is a gd ac bracket, ill buy a new one and give you my old one. The biggest deal is the hood which you already have... if you dont want huge power, you can get a sportsman 9.5 deck block like i had for cheaper than a dart or boss block for a baby motor... the sportsman block will support 800 rw with no problems, 1000 rw with billet main caps.

I know you arent trying to make big power, but the 408 just makes more sense. If I could afford another build Id sell you my 351 shortstroke and go to a 427 in a heartbeat...

blownaltered 12-13-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 58885)
It depends on what you plan to replace anyway. If you are changing the intake and headers, parts are same price for either motor... if all you need is a gd ac bracket, ill buy a new one and give you my old one. The biggest deal is the hood which you already have... if you dont want huge power, you can get a sportsman 9.5 deck block like i had for cheaper than a dart or boss block for a baby motor... the sportsman block will support 800 rw with no problems, 1000 rw with billet main caps.

I know you arent trying to make big power, but the 408 just makes more sense. If I could afford another build Id sell you my 351 shortstroke and go to a 427 in a heartbeat...

So I've been reading a bunch today about the 351 swap and there isn't as many different parts as I thought. My water pump, timing cover and other misc parts are still good. I would definitely need bigger heads and a different intake but I was already looking at that. I thought I was going to have to change my kmember but I don't so that makes a huge difference in what I can do.

STROKD 12-13-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownaltered (Post 58941)
So I've been reading a bunch today about the 351 swap and there isn't as many different parts as I thought. My water pump, timing cover and other misc parts are still good. I would definitely need bigger heads and a different intake but I was already looking at that. I thought I was going to have to change my kmember but I don't so that makes a huge difference in what I can do.

Correct. You will need a new distributor and ac bracket, but heads, intake, headers etc you were upgrading anyway... nows the time to do it! That blower u have at 10 psi and pump should make 600 rw and have a ton of torque... dont know how much boost it will push but it will be easier to make good smooth power, and u can run a smaller cam so that makes it more driver friendly, and then u can run taller gears for better mpg too if u wanted...

blownaltered 12-13-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROKD (Post 58943)
Correct. You will need a new distributor and ac bracket, but heads, intake, headers etc you were upgrading anyway... nows the time to do it! That blower u have at 10 psi and pump should make 600 rw and have a ton of torque... dont know how much boost it will push but it will be easier to make good smooth power, and u can run a smaller cam so that makes it more driver friendly, and then u can run taller gears for better mpg too if u wanted...

I actually have an msd distributor sitting on my shelf in the garage for a 351w. I have a vic jr intake but it is for a carb motor not efi, so I will sell that to get some money for they new intake. Hell I still have a 750 double pumper sitting on my shelf from one of my old 351w.

STROKD 12-13-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownaltered (Post 58947)
I actually have an msd distributor sitting on my shelf in the garage for a 351w. I have a vic jr intake but it is for a carb motor not efi, so I will sell that to get some money for they new intake. Hell I still have a 750 double pumper sitting on my shelf from one of my old 351w.

If u go spyder style intake, u can use the one you have and have it converted. They drill holes and add the injector bungs and fuel rails attach to the bungs. This is how they are all done.

blownaltered 12-13-2013 03:24 PM

I wonder who could convert that intake for me and what it would cost? I know a new one is around $450. I was looking at the spyder style intakes vs the one I have for my new build anyways.

Toby 12-13-2013 11:28 PM

I have a spyder upper elbow and an accufab 90mm race tb I will sell you if interested...

Toby 12-13-2013 11:31 PM

Oh and to swap from a 8.2 deck to a 9.5 all you will need is an ac bracket, headers, distributor, and oil pan. other then basic engine parts, ie intake manifold, etc your timing cover can be reused, engine mounts, trans, clutch setup. I am not sure about the brackets on that novi setup though. If it is not bolted ONLY to the cylinder head the you may need different brackets to make that work.. realistically the only things you will need to buy are the ac bracket and dizzy. Everything else you are planning to buy anyways so cost is the same.

blownaltered 12-14-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 58983)
I have a spyder upper elbow and an accufab 90mm race tb I will sell you if interested...

Pm me a price on that. It should work with either combo I go with.