Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   I've been thinking... (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1596)

m_tyler_r 04-28-2013 01:05 PM

I've been thinking...

so, just to get it out there, because I know everyone will give me shit, my parents bought me a 2012 V6 Premium for graduation. Love the car, no complaints. I tried for a 5.0 but they weren't buying it. I just recently talked it over with them? and if I can either 1) save enough money for a trade in on a 5.0 or 2) and engine swap... btw I have a lot of money in this car, not so much to the engine though. that's the only reason I'm considering a swap. just wanted to get the more experienced guys opinion on this. so what do you guys think? trade or swap?

03MachMe 04-28-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_tyler_r (Post 27775)
so, just to get it out there, because I know everyone will give me shit, my parents bought me a 2012 V6 Premium for graduation. Love the car, no complaints. I tried for a 5.0 but they weren't buying it. I just recently talked it over with them? and if I can either 1) save enough money for a trade in on a 5.0 or 2) and engine swap... btw I have a lot of money in this car, not so much to the engine though. that's the only reason I'm considering a swap. just wanted to get the more experienced guys opinion on this. so what do you guys think? trade or swap?

I say trade, with a swap it will never run like a factory car. what do you mean by lots of money? all exterior stuff? do you still have the stock stuff? if not, trade someone for their stock stuff plus some cash so you can make some of that money back to either help you get into a 5.0 or help put some new parts on the 5.0.

m_tyler_r 04-28-2013 01:44 PM

I've been thinking...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 27777)
I say trade, with a swap it will never run like a factory car. what do you mean by lots of money? all exterior stuff? do you still have the stock stuff? if not, trade someone for their stock stuff plus some cash so you can make some of that money back to either help you get into a 5.0 or help put some new parts on the 5.0.

thanks for the advice, and yeah the front for messed up so it now had a GT/CS front end, I installed an alpine 8" navigation system in it, gt500 spoiler, 20" Vossens, just exterior. I don't have my stock wheels anymore. I figured doing a swap would bring extra issues too

Luke 04-28-2013 02:05 PM

Definitely trade, don't know what a used v6 is worth but I'm sure you can find a good deal on a used 5.0. It's not worth the hassle.

46Tbird 04-28-2013 02:19 PM

Trade. A new or used 5.0 Mustang is relatively cheap, but a new or used 5.0 engine is not. Then factor in all the time and all the parts that would need to be swapped out (computer, wiring, trans/clutch, rear end, exhaust, and a million other things). And finally, realize that the value of this hybrid 5.0 is going to be less than the stock V6 car and I think you have your answer.

m_tyler_r 04-28-2013 02:23 PM

I've been thinking...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46Tbird (Post 27783)
Trade. A new or used 5.0 Mustang is relatively cheap, but a new or used 5.0 engine is not. Then factor in all the time and all the parts that would need to be swapped out (computer, wiring, trans/clutch, rear end, exhaust, and a million other things). And finally, realize that the value of this hybrid 5.0 is going to be less than the stock V6 car and I think you have your answer.

I just thin I need to go see how much a dealer would offer for mine and what kind of deal I could get on a premium.

re-rx7 04-28-2013 02:50 PM

Get rid of the 20's.

Phuck Phace 04-28-2013 02:57 PM

I've been thinking...

Insurance fraud. Get check. Buy. 5.0

m_tyler_r 04-28-2013 03:52 PM

I've been thinking...

I'm starting to quickly see a turbo would just be best lol

Dan12GT 04-28-2013 03:58 PM

Trade for sure

re-rx7 04-28-2013 04:09 PM

Why not just supercharge it? The cars aren't exactly slow. A few mods shud get you low 13's.

m_tyler_r 04-28-2013 04:52 PM

I've been thinking...

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 27797)
Why not just supercharge it? The cars aren't exactly slow. A few mods shud get you low 13's.

turbo could push more right?

JDBishopArts 04-28-2013 08:45 PM

I'm going to be that guy and say don't do anything. Keep the v6 for a while. Save up some money. In 3-5 years you'll be able to buy something really cool with the money you saved. Your parents bought you a car. That's pretty cool. Keeping it and making some smart money choices now will make them feel appreciated for buying it for you.

m_tyler_r 04-28-2013 09:02 PM

I've been thinking...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts (Post 27802)
I'm going to be that guy and say don't do anything. Keep the v6 for a while. Save up some money. In 3-5 years you'll be able to buy something really cool with the money you saved. Your parents bought you a car. That's pretty cool. Keeping it and making some smart money choices now will make them feel appreciated for buying it for you.

appreciate the input. that's definitely a choice that I'm considering. I'm only a freshman in college now and when I graduate I'd like to buy a V8, I just got really impatient when I rode in a 5.0 yesterday lol

DirtyD 04-28-2013 09:10 PM

I've been thinking...

I say keep it. If you want a little more speed, maybe go with a centri s/c with a small amount of boost to have some fun.

Or save up, wait until the next gen Stang, preferably the 2016 year model so they can work out the kinks from the new chassis, and reap the benefits or waiting.

You can whip some Sentra ass then!