Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Moving to Houston (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=4246)

brtnstrns 06-06-2014 06:41 PM

Moving to Houston

Well, after a little under two years of job searching, I'm finally going to get away from designing airline seats! Just got my official offer for a Mechanical Engineer position at National Oilwell Varco in Houston. It's going to seriously challenge my abilities as an engineer but that is exactly what I want/need. Especially compared to how un-innovative airline seats are! I'm pretty excited and although I only had three years in DFW, I'll for sure be missing it. Unfortunately, as an engineer, you gotta go to where the jobs are.

STROKD 06-06-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtnstrns (Post 72709)
Well, after a little under two years of job searching, I'm finally going to get away from designing airline seats! Just got my official offer for a Mechanical Engineer position at National Oilwell Varco in Houston. It's going to seriously challenge my abilities as an engineer but that is exactly what I want/need. Especially compared to how un-innovative airline seats are! I'm pretty excited and although I only had three years in DFW, I'll for sure be missing it. Unfortunately, as an engineer, you gotta go to where the jobs are.

Best of luck, H town is a shit hole, but its better than being broke.

DirtyD 06-06-2014 09:21 PM

Moving to Houston

Best of luck man.

Live in Pearland and commute if you are the south or west side for work.

brtnstrns 06-06-2014 09:26 PM

I'll be near Katy Freeway and Sam Houston Tollway. So I'll probably be looking around that area for a house. Not too worried about it being a shithole. All cities have their negatives. My wife and I both know a lot of people there and to me it's just another big city. Just swap out tornadoes for hurricanes.

Crimson600+HP 06-07-2014 12:44 AM

Have a buddy that lives in the Katy area. It's pretty built up with a lot of residential areas. Will definitely be different than DFW, but Houston has a thriving Mustang/car scene too. One if the tops in the nation...must be all that oil money!

brtnstrns 06-07-2014 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP (Post 72717)
Have a buddy that lives in the Katy area. It's pretty built up with a lot of residential areas. Will definitely be different than DFW, but Houston has a thriving Mustang/car scene too. One if the tops in the nation...must be all that oil money!

Yeah. Gonna have to find a new shop that treats me as well as TSM. Not sure if that'll be possible though :(

Barry McCockiner 06-07-2014 03:10 AM

Best of luck. I lived in Houston for three and a half years and loved it.

SterlingStang 06-07-2014 08:19 AM

Houston sucks lived there for 30 years. Dont go

DirtyD 06-07-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtnstrns (Post 72718)
Yeah. Gonna have to find a new shop that treats me as well as TSM. Not sure if that'll be possible though :(

There are definitely good shops down there. The Houston area Mustang guys will point you in the right direction

brtnstrns 06-10-2014 01:12 PM

Alright guys, do any of y'all have recommendations on moving companies? I had no luck negotiating a moving package so it'll be on my dime but I want to know what companies are the best for the price? I'm not going to be a cheap-ass about it as I understand you get what you pay for, but obviously, value is important. And yes, I could save money moving it myself, but after moving myself for the past 8 years, I'm done with that, especially with the newer furniture I have now.

So, any suggestions for movers from Dallas to Houston?

DirtyD 06-10-2014 03:15 PM

I've seen commercials about Old Dominion Freight Line. You pack it, they will drive and deliver it. Don't know how their pricing fairs though

Lucky13 06-16-2014 05:10 PM

We used ABF Upack. They drop a trailer, you fill it they pull it down and drop it. Have so many days to unpack. Reasonable rates last time we used it.

brtnstrns 07-11-2014 10:28 PM

I'll admit, the drivers in Houston are shit (noticed even only being there a week - don't go on green because you can pretty much guarantee at least three people running the red) but pretty much everything else isn't as bad as you all made it out to be.

This new job is better in every conceivable way than my last one so I'm ecstatic. Going to close on our house in mid-August and will only have a 10-minute, 7 mile commute, whereas I've had an hour, 56 mile commute for the past three years.

So what are some shops I should look into for future Mustang-related issues?