Thread: Oil Change
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
TurboZ

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
From the research I have done the 5w20 is used basically to maximize fuel efficiency.
Yes thats partially true, but switching to 10w30 will have absolutely no effect on fuel economy. Now if you were to switch to a 10w40 or get nuts and go 15w50, yes i could see that somewhat affecting the mileage. You could probably get away with 10w30 for a while, but i've always gone with what the factory says to use, especially when they waste your time for 2 hours briefing you on all the new technological advances on their new engines, and how imperative it is to keep 5w20 in them lol. Same with the new GM lsx motors, 10w30 is almost mandatory in the dealership now because of the displacement on demand system, its so sensitive that it will shit the system down if a thicker oil weight is used because it can't function correctly.

**83 Turbo 280ZX** - Megasquirt 2 v3.0 Stand alone EMS, n42 head swap (8.3:1 cr), n42 intake, 60mm throttle body, z31 watercooled T3, NXS Manual boost controller (12psi) MSD Blaster 2 Coil, Apexi 3" Turboback Exhaust, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Greddy Type-S BOV, DNA Motoring FMIC, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, CX Racing SR20 Radiator, Custom Ram Air Intake, Suspension Techniques Sway Bars, Eibach 2" Pro Lowering Springs, Tokico Blue HP Shocks, Energy Suspension LCA, Subframe, & End link Bushings
TurboZ is offline   Reply With Quote