View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Smurf50

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
To me, there is a common misconception about buying a programmer used. Unless the previous owner leaves it outside in the elements, puts it through a dishwasher, or washing machine, a handheld programmer can't really be used and abused at all. I mean think about it. It is one for MAYBE 20-30 minutes at a time, maybe once or twice a week, and that's being a OCD tune swapper. LOL (Longer if you are datalogging though). The tuner is just a tool that is used for transporting files to the ECU.

There is nothing mechanical to break, nothing that you have to worry about being excessively used other than POSSIBLY the circuit board attached to the buttons.

As long as you try the tuner before you buy, then you can get what you are looking for with much less money.
I get that, I completely do! Being in the tech industry for the better part of my life has somewhat jaded me to used items. I know that something might "boot up" but unless it's thoroughly tested you cannot see if there will be a malfunction or not. With a used tuner, I cannot run a program through my car to make sure everything flashes properly... I have to rely on what the person is telling me.

It's for this same reason that when I sold my Diablo InTune i-1000 I made sure I loaded a tune for the person who bought the tuner. It showed them that it was in fact unlocked (and now locked to their car) and that it was fully working.

I know it's stupid, but my car is my baby....I am protective of her
Smurf50 is offline   Reply With Quote