View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #66
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
As long as I have been around cars, the ONLY method of determining the power output of an engine, is a dyno. What else are you using to determine power levels?

-Alex
He is using the tried and true way of measuring performance by using track data. Datalogging, ET's, MPH, 0-60, shifts, temps, etc.

WBT is correct in saying that dyno results mean very little. How the car performs in it's intended envoirment is really the only proper way to determine accurate results.

Some of us old folk were doing this long before the use of dynos were the norm. I use to tune my blower cars the old fashion way with a timing light, reading plugs, fuel pressure and checking tire prints. We had no idea (nor did we care) what the car made at the tires. It was how the car performed.

Now that dynos are everywhere and technology is common place that most people don't know how to work on their cars anymore without a programmer in their hands that the dyno numbers have become more about bragging rights or measuring how a car "should" run.

It happens all the time a car makes great power on the dyno and doesn't run like it should according to what one thinks it should. Same goes for the other way, some cars dyno like ass but run like a scalded ape on the street.

It all comes down to a solid tune, a proper set up and a driver who knows how to optimize all of it to take advantage of it.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote