Thread: What Weight Oil
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #37
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
So why would ford put 50w oil in their track pack cars? I mean according to your logic the oil would shear the same and have the same oil pressure.

Why do all racing oils have high temp shear tolerance? Why do they have high ZDDP content? I mean if it was all fluff. Everyone would be running 0w20 oil.

Look at Porsche recommended oils and Nissan GTR.

0w40 or 5w50.

For normal street driving on non modified engines I am sure 0w20 is more than sufficient, but for track application or supercharged engines extra protection is warranted.

The best situation as described by Ferrari is to use the 0W-40 around town and the 10W-60 “racing oil” on the track. It has to be that “hot” track though. A compromise situation would be to use the 5W-40 for both but this may not be optimal. Certainly, if you are just an urban driver as me use the 0W-40 or even a thinner oil as I do in my stanger. Again, I used the 0W-20 grade.

FYI. The Formula 1 cars that run at 15,000 RPM and higher use straight 5 and 10 grade oils.

This increased flow will result in increased cooling by the oil. This is a good thing. You would probably want more oil flow in these situations and you get it. The hotter oil thins and this increases flow. The higher flow works harder to separate the engine parts that are under very high stress. It all works out for the better. Higher revving engines need thinner oils. You do not necessarily need to go to a thicker oil while racing. Only experimentation will tell.

he temperature of oil on your gauge is not as hot as it really gets. This temperature is an average with oil from different parts of the motor. Some parts are hotter than others. It is said that some of the oil gets as hot as 400° or 500°F in these racing situations.

Now Ford I would say reccomends the thick oil because the cars are sold everywhere from hot as hell places to frigid. The Hot as hell places are probally the concern then there maybe some benefit to a thicker oil. Now with racing oils the aditives you speak of dont actually kep the oil from shearing, It still shears but the difference is those additives are the last line of defense when it happens. The bad thing is most racing oil clog cats and coat engien parts so 1-2k mile changes are a gd idea.

Last edited by re-rx7; 10-07-2013 at 10:28 AM.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote