View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #29
Toby

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
No need for a thicker oil. Thicker oil does not protect better.
you cannot be serious??? Please explain why ford recommends 5w-50 in the boss mustangs, and gt500's but only 5w-20 in the standard 5.0s when bearing clearances and engine tolerances are exactly the same on all three engines? I have torn apart and built every one of the mentioned engines and yes they ALL have the exact same clearances factory, but some require thicker oil then others? Engine tolerances along with intended usage is what decides the weight of oil you should run in your vehicle.

Rod and main bearings are what typically get destroyed when the wrong weight oil is used. I can show you dozens of bearings that failed due to the engine having too thin of an oil in it..

I was never a big amsoil nutswinger but I recently tried it in my truck. Before with mobil 1 and castrol synthetic oils 10w-30 it would make around 60 lbs pressure cold and 40-45 hot. I put amsoil 10w-30 signature series oil (which we stock at Truestreet) along with the same brand (wix) filter and it now makes around 65-70 lbs pressure cold and does not drop a single lb when it gets hot. Thus far it has been an incredible oil!! Also note I plan to change it around 4k miles. I am a huge stickler on changing oil, $50-60 for an oil change every 3-4k miles is cheap insurance to ensure and have piece of mind that you are giving your engine it best chance at lasting a long time. Just think about all the money you throw away for auto insurance that most will never need....

Take it for what its worth, but I have tried about 6 different brands of oil in this engine over the past 8 months (mostly due to just getting them on sale at oreillys) but there is a HUGE difference in all the brands out there. This all comes from personal experience having used these brands in similar 100+ degree texas summer heat.

Last edited by Toby; 10-08-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote