View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #287
Fair

Here's the old NASA TT track records on both the 3.1 mile and 1.7 mile courses (NASA TT hasn't been run the 1.7 since 2010):

Code:
Motorsports Ranch Cresson (3.1 CCW)				
Class	Driver	Car		
TTU	John Page	     Chevy Corvette	 02:19.489	Mar-11
TT1	Troy Messer	   Chevy Corvette	 02:16.519	Mar-13
TT2	Mike Perkins	  Chevy Corvette	 02:18.353	Mar-13
TT3	Terry Fair	    Ford Mustang	   02:22.753	Mar-13
TTA	Josh Dunn	     Mistubishi Evo	 02:23.043	Mar-12
TTB	Dysen Pham	    Honda S2000	    02:24.302	Mar-13
TTC	Eric Foss	     Mazdaspeed 3	   02:28.562	Mar-12
TTD	Eric Foss	     Mazdaspeed 3	   02:30.047	Mar-11
TTE	Steven Farrell	Mazda Miata	    02:37.153	Mar-11
TTF	Ken Brewer	    Toyota MR2	     02:37.955	Mar-13

Motorsports Ranch Cresson (1.7 CCW)				
Class	Driver	Car		
TTU	-	-	-	
TT1	Troy Messer	Corvette C6	 01:17.113	Mar-10
TT2	Sean Farrah	Nissan 350Z	 01:20.283	Mar-10
TT3				
TTA	Ken Orgeron	BMW E46 M3	  01:22.755	Mar-10
TTB	John Zepeda	Mazda Miata	 01:27.682	Mar-10
TTC	Josh Konkle	Chevy Cobalt   01:27.006	Mar-09
TTD	Terry Fair	 BMW 328	     01:29.811	Mar-10
TTE	Josh Price	 Acura Integra  01:26.583	Mar-10
TTF	Ken Brewer	 Toyota MR2	  01:29.804	Mar-10
My 2:22 record for TT3 set last year on the 3.1 is probably a little soft, so I could have worked on improving that if we were to run the 3.1 mile course, assuming I could get a clear and unobstructed lap (which never happens on the 3.1). But it seems we're running the 1.7, and my 1:18.6 from January slots in there quite nicely in the old lap records. Of course nobody has set a TT record on the 1.7 in 4 years, so I suspect all of those old 1.7 TT records will fall. Hopefully, maybe, fingers crossed we can set the TT3 record on the 1.7 this weekend? That's assuming everything goes according to plan, which it almost never does.

This is the 1.7 mile course everyone will be running this weekend with NASA

Weather could play a major factor, and rain is in the forecast this weekend (but it changes by the hour). We've seen days as recently as this week where it was 80 degrees and sunny in the afternoon one day and then 16 degrees and sleeting the very next morning. Totally psychotic temperature swings, with 4 freak ice storms this winter season - unheard of in Dallas. So it is anyone's guess how this weekend will go.

The Car Guy Show

So in my last update I mentioned that we went to Cars & Coffee in the red T3 Mustang in February. Amy drove out on the 315 A6 tires and I drove out in the 2013 GT. The weather was COLD but the crowds were HUGE, and out of the 1000+ cars there that day a film crew for a new TV show was on site and interviewed about 6 car owners. One of those was our red car, with my goofy ass standing in front of it - wired up for sound, talking to the host and answering questions on camera.

The first show of this new series aired March 1st in the Dallas TV market only (so far), and somehow they used about 2 minutes of my interview in the pilot episode, spread across 3 different segments. This wasn't scripted; it was just some questions they asked and my answers given off the cuff. Pretty cool that this made it on the show. The on-track segments we filmed with this crew December 28th might get re-shot soon, once they get their filming schedule opened up, and they might even shoot a bit at our shop. We'll see.

You can watch the pilot episode of The Car Guy Show at the link above

This show airs on KTXD Channel 47 Saturday's @ 11:30am with encore presentations Sundays @ 6pm and Fridays @ 1:30am. This is a Dallas CBS affiliate network, but the show is supposed to make it to more TV markets in the coming months. So its not a nationwide show, and not a huge deal, but was a nice surprise to see that I made this show's first episode. The promo video they made for 30 second commercials for the show has in-car footage from our TT3 Mustang, shot at the December 28th film shoot.

Cars and Coffee Dallas, March 1st

While the pilot episode of The Car Guy Show was airing we were at Cars & Coffee Dallas once again, bright and VERY early Saturday morning, parking with the SCCA Solo folks to promote their events. We drove out on the Hoosiers, this time the 335/345 scrubs that I will test with on Friday. The crowds flocked to the car even more this time, as the rear fenders were fairly obnoxious looking. The Car Guy Show crew also brought out a couple of cool cars, including this Viper and this Mosler MT900, which parked next to our Mustang.

Picture Gallery: http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Car-Shows/Cars-Coff030114/

They filmed some B-roll out there and a few brief "we'll be right back" segments with some folks. Vorshlag's Ops Manager Sofi rode her Cafe themed Honda motorcycle (that she hand built) and also parked with us. The weather was PERFECT and the lot was jammed with 1200+ cars and thousands of people.

At about 10:30 who walks up? None other than Aaron and 5 of his guys from Gas Monkey Garage. Even though he hates Mustangs, Aaron stopped and talked to me about the car for 20 minutes, and we realized that one of his crew was someone I knew that used to work at a shop we dealt with a lot. Then the subject of his '63 Falcon came up and the Pikes Peak 2014 race, which Aaron is entered in. We've supported racers at this event in the past, and Vorshlag's head engineer Jason has crew chiefed there 4 or 5 times, and will again this year.

Left: Me chatting with the GMG crew. Right: Aaron's recently purchased 63 Falcon is sweet!

We talked a bit about the tricky nature of this treacherous hill climb event, the altitude and prep you need to tackle. Aaron is going to be getting more seat time in the Falcon at NASA events, a Bondurant school, the upcoming Goodguys autocross, and the Ultimate Street Car Association's event at TMS this month as well. Our own beared wonder Jason spoke with Aaron at the PPIHC event last year, and I suspect they will trade some more Pikes Peak stories at one of the events we will see the GMG guys at in the coming months.

Left: In Texas we have everything from Exotics to Bubba Trucks. Right: Yep, that's wood grain on an Audi R8

Continued below