Thread: z/28 review. .
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #105
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by fordplay View Post
We also know as much as we don't like to admit it, somewhere north of 90% of all racing takes place in a straight line, that is where cars reputations are earned, and we all know if you wanted a track car you'd get a lotus like everyone else.
No doubt most racing in the USA takes place in straight lines. I would say it isn't as large as you think. Auto-X is taking over the mainstream masses for accessible racing. Particualriy because you don't have to have a fast or modified car. I know there is bracket racing in the 1/4 mile, but it is embarassing to take a 4 cyl car that runs 16 second 1/4 miles to a competetive track. However, that 4 cyl car could run an auto-x course in a stock class. I'd say give it time and auto-x will be the next big thing. Demand is going up for cars that can handle versus go fast in a straight line. Like it or not, car manufactures will build those cars (hence why the FR-S/BRZ is doing so well right now without any force induction).

Also, go to a track HPDE event and you will see a ton of American Muscle. Of all the ones I run it Texas, Corvette's & Mustang's make up over 50% of the cars on the track. The reason is simple, parts are cheap. Replace a part on any exotic/european car and you will pay 2-3x's the prices as our American cars. Given the horsepower these cars push and the aftermarket, it is a great platform to build a track attack car out of. This was a natural progression for Chevy to build this car.

Drag racing will always be part of American culture, but times are changing.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote