View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #310
Fair

Project Update for April 8th, 2014: This post covers the second day of the 3 day Optima Street Car/USCA event at Texas Motor Speedway March 21-23. I also have some "house cleaning" clearance items that are Mustang related to post and talk a little about Pro Touring and SCCA's CAM class.

House Cleaning!

As happens around here a lot, we change parts on our Mustang "test mule" from time to time. And when we pull anything off one of our cars we sell the used bits on our clearance page. I won't get too salesy here, but if you see something you or one of your buddies might like, check it out.

We recently installed our 4th different set of shocks onto our Mustang - a set of MCS RR2 shocks that I will show in one of my upcoming posts - so our old Moton Club Sport remote reservoir double adjustables are now for sale. We bought these new in May of 2012 and they have proven to be very rugged, have a large rebound and compression damping adjustment range, and we've set a lot of track records and notched up a lot of wins on these.

What you see here is for sale, just as they came off our TT3 Mustang a week ago

Lots more information can be seen about these used Motons if you click the pictures above. A winning set-up, real-deal remote reservoir Moton doubles at a big discount. If you don't see them listed on that page then they have sold.

Next we have the last of the used Cobra Suzuka Kevlar racing seats from our Mustang. This is the "normal width" (aka: narrow) Suzuka, best suited for folks under ~175 pounds. We had this on the passenger side of our car for several years, and it has of 2005 build tag. It is in decent shape, with no tears or rips in the fabric but it does have significant fading of the material. It basically went from Dark Black to a Slightly Less Dark Shade of Black. We replaced this and the driver's side Suzuka "GT" width seat about a month ago with a new set, to better show off the current Cobra models we sell. The used driver's side Suzuka seat lasted exactly 48 minutes after we posted it for sale on our clearance page, so if you want this click here and buy it. Once its gone, its gone.

Last but not least, we still have multiple sets of the new 305 and 320mm Continental DP racing slicks as well as a many pairs of used Hoosier DOT racing tires we need to move. Stacks of tires are all taking up far too much room in our overly crowded but climate controlled shop. The Contis are normally about $2000 for a set of 4 but the we have dropped the price on these brand new race tires to $550/set, below what we paid for them.

All of the used Hoosiers listed right now are 315/30/18 sized A6 tires, which until very recently was the tire we used on our TT3 Mustang. I normally hoard my old race tires, but since we moved to the 335/345mm tire sizes on our Mustang, the crew here is grumbling at me to move out these 315s. Each Hoosier has some tread left, and we have listed each pair currently for sale with pictures of the actual tires being sold and DOT date codes from the sidewalls.

Happy bargain hunting!

A little About Pro Touring Cars + SCCA's CAM Class?

Before we get started on the 2nd day of USCA coverage I wanted to back up and cover the PT "movement" to explain some of the cars that were at this event or seen at other events nationwide - and to state that not all Pro Touring cars are created equal. The typical cars that run the Pro Touring series of events - Goodguys, USCA, ASCS, Optima - are 1972 and older American made muscle cars, with a smattering of old Corvettes and even a couple of wild T-buckets (or kit cars) and Cobras (or kit cars). The typical Pro Touring car has some modern wheels, brakes, and big 200 treadwear tires. Most nowadays have big LSx motors, and the Pro guys all seem to have built 7.0L+ LS7 based engines that make 650-700+ hp. It has gotten crazier as the years have passed and these events have gotten more popular.

This Pro Touring "movement" has been around for a long time, and there are disputed stories about which was the first Pro Touring muscle car. The car I remember first, and that those of us that have been around HOT ROD magazine long enough remember, is the Gottlieb 1969 Camaro called "Big Red". This was more of an "Outlaw" top speed event car, but it had the look that Pro Touring adopted. This car even has its own Facebook page and it's own website. Built in 1987 (when I was but a wee lad) this car became a semi-tube framed "silhouette" car with a giant 540ci V8 motor that made 750 hp, wild and crazy and very little of the 1969 Camaro was left. It started out radical and nuts. It was built to run the La Cararrea and Silver State Classic open road races, and the car had just enough of the look of the classic Camaro to be allowed to run those. It was an over-the-top build that is chronicled here.

The cars that followed, like the Camaros from famed Pro Touring builder and GM Engineer Mark Stielow, were still packed with crazy powerplants and modern suspension, but more often than not today's PT cars are still mostly based on factory unibody structures and much tamer builds compared to Big Red. These are more streetable cars that were entered in One Lap of America events, and later beget the Goodguys and Optima "Pro Touring" scene. These latter events were made to allow pro built show cars to have a place to show that they were... more than just show cars. Show them being driven in competition.

A pair of 1st gen Camaros built by Mark Stielow, which both ran in Optima Invitationals

As these competition events have grown in number and popularity, more radical Pro Touring builds have been built and they are fast approaching the Gottlieb car - and in many ways have surpassed it, at least in suspension sophistication. These PT cars have more and more radical mods: extreme lightening, lightweight and big race motors tamed just enough for street use, and modern, uncompromised racing suspension designs. The popular front suspension for a 1st or 2nd gen PT Camaro includes narrowed hydroformed frame rails with aluminum spindles, modern double-A arm suspensions, and a narrowed set-up that allows 315 or 335mm tires to fit with the outer track unaffected. The transmissions are increasingly more racey (Jerico, G-Force, etc) to take the power of these big LS-V8 engines. And rear suspensions have gotten beyond solid axles, with fabricated tubular IRS set-ups going under classic Detroit Iron.

continued below