View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #62
Fair

Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
Ok guys, I'm looking to buy some new wheels and tires and I keep going back and forth. Now I'm considering the D-force wheels too. You're saying they will work front and rear without spacers, but is that with a normal strut/spring setup? What's the biggest tire you guys have tried with them (diameter)?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for just street tires right now and I'd rather not run smaller diameter tires...trying to keep fender gap to a minimum and I'm not lowering much. I think a 285/40-18 would be ideal, but there's a good deal on some 275/45-18's right now (with a 10.1" tread width). Those are some pretty big tires, actually a bit larger in diameter than the factory rubber...maybe too big, but I did find someone that's actually running them on a 18x9.5 et40 wheel.
We tried a 285/40/18 tire and it looks ridiculous...

These pictures don't show how silly this giant, tall tire looked up front. We all turned our noses up.

I get that you don't want a lot of wheel gap, and these cars apparently do respond well to running taller tires... but within reason. The stock stuff is 27" tall, which is enormous. There are no 18" tires that match the 27" tire height of the stock 255/40/19 tires. After much testing, calculations, and trial fitting we went with the 275/40/18 tire on the 18x10" wheels - that's the best fit for the car and the wheels. They look the best out of the many sizes we have tried, fit the wheel nicely, fit the car nicely, and were 26.4" tall. The closest we could get, without going over the stock 27" tire height.

Thanks,