Thread: How's your MPG?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
Rreemo

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I waited about 1200 miles before dogging it, and took it to the track at 2400 miles where it went 7.9. I don't think it matters for shit, but personally I prefer to let the cam, crank, and rod bearings establish a wear pattern before taking it to 7k. Ring seal is only an issue on cars that wash them out (carbed, usually) or if you let it get hot causing the rings to lose tension. That's my experience, yours may vary.

Anyway, I average 17.5 to 19 on any given tank. I have gotten as low as 14 and as high as 27.8 coming back from Austin with a crazy tail wind. Highway mpg is usually around 23. That's with 3.73s and 28" tall tires.

Jason, I've never heard of that great a disparity between the dash mpg reading and calculated mpg. It's usually 1-2mpg off at worst.
Yeah Danny, I'm not paying much attention to that first one, honestly. Not sure what was up with it, but I'm about to need fuel again today or tomorrow, so we'll see how it pairs up this time.

17.5 - 19 seems to be pretty good, and honestly about what I was hoping for. I'm guessing yours is still basically stock and untuned, right? I'd imagine those 28" tires help offset the 3.73's a little as well.

Speaking of (off topic for everyone with 3.73's)....I seem to notice something, not sure what, right at 70 MPH...it's very faint, just a little NVH coming from somewhere....not sure if its the gears, or maybe very slightly something with the driveshaft (balance), or maybe it's just the engine note at that particular speed/RPM....just not an entirely smooth spot. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed something similar?

I'm overly sensitive to stuff like that...probably leading back to my days in the dealership when I did NVH stuff a lot. It's probably nothing, And I'm probably also just used to the 911, which was extremely (maybe even abnormally) smooth all the way up and past the 3-digit mark.
Rreemo is offline   Reply With Quote