View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #51
STROKD
Old School

Originally Posted by fordplay View Post
I still don't see the point of buying another car to save money.. but to each their own, I advise against the turbo vw.. 3 of the guys I work with Have them, and have had nothing but problems, the best is they don't start in the cold!! Eventually they do and run like crap.. they had vw's prior to this with no issues. But below 40 degrees they are all in the lot trying to start them
Lmfao. Ok had to chime in here... ive had 3 turbo VWs in a row. they all start in the cold... how fucken old are their shitboxes? I dont keep a car i drive often out of warranty... thats the whole damn point of having a car I dont have to worry about. if its a vw out of warranty, its likely going to break. Once tgey are over 5 to 6 years old they fall apart, but i only keep them for 3 and they are aces in that time frame... not one zero problem.

As for not understanding the point of another car. Its simple mathematics actually. Someone broke it down in one of these threads but figure if you save 250/mo in gas by not driving your Stang or whatever, that is basically applied to a payment or towards a cash car. You also save wear and tear on your hot rod, tire expense, oil changes as often, your paint stays nicer, the interior stays nicer, and if you sell your car down tge road, it will be worth more money.

I got into this mindset when i lived is SF. I had a Terminator that averaged 15 mpg. Gas was 5/gallon, so i bought a Civic Hybrid for 202/mo. With insurance i was out 260ish... so the 37k miles I put on that car which averaged 40 mpg saved me about 7400 bucks in gas, not to mention the price difference in 87 vs 93, and the amount of money i would have lost selling my Cobra with 60k miles instead of 22k... lets call it 7 grand... so not to mention tires and maintenance, i spend 10k for car and insurance to save almost 15... in real world numbers its closer to probably 22 to 25, since tires would been 4 grand at least over 4 sets, clutch or two, 10 oil changes yadada, thats if the motor, trans and rear never broke!

Hope that makes more sense to people confused about the reasoning of a daily car.