View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Lucky13

Originally Posted by my95z28 View Post
Not being an ass here, speaking from experience and hoping to keep you from making the same mistake as I did. Missed, hard shifts and banging into the engagement teeth of the gears and that MT-82 is gonna go boom in a hurry. I blew up a notoriously strong t56 in a 300whp car by being rough on it, broke all the engagement teeth off of second gear. After that I learned how to shift quickly, but not harshly and kept a transmission that was much weaker than the MT-82 alive behind a car of similar power. Let the shifter do the work by guiding it through the gears, not manhandling it. I found the best way to do this was by placing my hand on the side of the shifter or back of it depending on which gear I was going for, example on the 2-3 only push forward on the shifter from behind. Push it out of 2nd gear, let the centering springs do the work to push it back to center, then forward to 3rd.

All of this being said, I know that the springs in the stock shifter are very weak so the MGW is still gonna be a great upgrade that will improve shift times and confidence in the car.
No worries on being an ass. Im not easily butthurt.

I'm gonna keep trying new things while working on faster times. What you described is exactly how I drive in normal traffic and such and it works great. It's just that high RPM shift 2-3 that is alluding me.

Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote