Thread: 5w50-ouch
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #57
Disturbed

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
My point is simple. YOu dont always have to have a thicker oil if your going to be racing. Conditions are the biggest consideration and a thicker oil can do more harm then good in some situations. In my mind there is no need for a 50 in the stang. Wouldnt you agree?

I use a Penn ultra and it is better then entry level AMsoil in alot of test at a far cheaper price.
Yes I understand your point. This is exactly why I chose a non-shearing 30w for my own car. What you dont realize is why ford suggests the 50 weight. Its because that garbage shears down to a 30 if your actually going hard on the track in the summer time.

They dont expect it to be a 50 at running temp at the track. 50 would be overkill IF it stayed at 50. But it doesnt.

And, thicker oil like 50w doesnt mean shit for startup. 0w50 in harsh winter cold start = fine.
If you run 15w20 in the winter, its just as bad as 15w50. First number is the key for startup. Again, its the winter grade number that determines its cold start viscosity. If Ford's oil didnt shear 1/3 of its viscosity under tracking then they would be suggesting lighter oil. Period.

Last edited by Disturbed; 04-21-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote