View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
maxpayne

Default Painted Stock Calipers

I hate the look of the stock calipers but I can't afford brembos at the moment......so I painted them black. I was hoping this would 1) make them less noticeable and 2) make them look a tad better. I think it turned out as best it could - and special thanks to my wife as she did all the taping and painting!

I used the black G2 caliper paint from LM. I didn't use red because that would have highlighted the calipers, which is the exact opposite of what I wanted. I followed the instruction pretty close. 1) Put car on jacks and removed wheels. 2) Masked off the rubber/plastic components and part of the rotors. 3) Cleaned calipers with brake cleaner and a wire brush. 4) Put a light first coat on. 5) Waited 20-30 minutes and put second coat. 6) Waited again and put another coat on just the main part that is visible. 7) Let sit over night. 8) Re-installed the wheels this morning. 9) Finally, have to wait 24 hours before driving.

Also, I bought better paint brushes than was supplied in the G2 kit. The one supplied sucked balls. And, I used a wire brush to clean even though my car is fairly new and there wasn't much dust on the calipers.

Overall, I think this was a good, cheap mod for me in particular because my car is black and so are my wheels. And thus, my calipers do not stick out like a sore thumb.

Sorry for the shitty embedding of pictures. I am a newb.

Last edited by maxpayne; 11-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.
maxpayne is offline   Reply With Quote