View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Fair

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I stopped by on Friday to get one. Terry wasn't there, he was working out at the gym while his crew were at the shop busting ass. The V8 Miata is going to be badass and the Chump C4 is going to be DQ'd!
hehe, agree with you on that last bit!

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
The bushing works as advertised, but the vibrations in the floorboard at ~2500rpm are gnarly. I've driven solid engine mount cars for years and they don't make the chassis groan like this thing does. I'll probably pull it out for daily duty, it's a bit much for that. But it's cheap, very effective, and since it takes about 5 minutes to install it I'll just toss it in when I know I'll be working it hard. Great mod, especially for the price.
I'm not sure why some cars/people notice a bad vibration and others don't see this. We've nailed it down to two possible causes:

1. Installing the bushing insert backwards. We've seen it done, and it takes talent, but if you follow the included instructions you can't screw it up. It will go in from the wrong direction but you have to force it in and it doesn't fit right. To install this kit correctly you have to DROP the transmission crossmember, and we think some folks are trying to short cut this step and shove it in from the wrong side.

1. A. Some folks cut the center tip off of the insert to reduce vibrations, but we haven't needed to do this yet. and that piece is a big chunk of the bushing insert.

2. Other parts in the driveline that are already amplifying the NVH. Aluminum 1-piece driveshafts might be a culprit, but I suspect it is aftermarket shifters. Many people use aftermarket short shift kits, which generally replace the body mounted shift bushing (with poly or metal), remove a bushing in the shift arm (going to a solid shaft), and some other parts are made metal - to the point that MOST shifters already add some buzz. Maybe this WL bushing kit added to a few brands of shifters causing "too much?? Don't know, because of the dozen or so we've installed on '11-14 Mustangs, many of which had shifters, we have yet to see one buzz. ???

All I know is that I noticed a tiny bit of added NVH but felt a LOT more connected to the shifter when rowing the gears. Recently we installed some aftermarket "Race" poly motor mounts, too. No massive NVH increase, to me. I drove the car around town recently, and it is generally pretty quiet under 4000 rpms, I could barely detect a vibration. In a typical race weekend I might make a few hundred shifts and I've had no missed gears or issues since adding the Whiteline KDT928 kit + a Steeda rear shift bushing (95A poly), and recently race poly motor mounts. But I still use the stock shifter, and gladly.

Your Results May Vary.

Last edited by Fair; 11-26-2013 at 05:45 PM.