View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
NAVAG

Originally Posted by whitboy82 View Post
I have had my Mustang since the beginning of June 2014 and have just over 5,200 miles on the car, and have started getting reminders in the mail to have the oil changed. I have the MPP extended warranty giving me free oil changes at the dealership.

So, I have 2 questions... One, if the maintenance minder says I'm still at around 50% oil life do I really need to have it changed now? The dealerships I've called all say Ford recommends 5,000 mile oil changes but if that's so, then why have the maintenance minder? My wife has a Honda and they recommend only changing the oil when the minder goes off...which is somewhere between 8 and 10k miles depending on her driving. I just don't want to risk warranty issues if I dont.

Two, I currently have a OR/X with an AED tune and have heard stories where people, not necessarily Ford owners, have gone in and the tech plugs into the OBDII and either notices there's a tune or flashes the ecu, without the owners permission. With that possibly voiding the warranty.

So does anyone have any experience with either of my questions bc I'm a little unsure what I should do.

Thanks
I've always changed my own around 10% oil life. Don't know what the dealer does but I imagine the guy that changes the oil won't notice or care about any mods. This dude is probably only qualified to wash cars and change oil. And i use the word "qualified" very loosely. I had a friend when I was in HS that worked for a dealer and that's what he did.
1989 GRAY/SILVER AUTO GT
1988 RED GT
1989 WHITE LX 5.0 HATCH
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote