View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #77
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
Both are weak really. Well, I mean that relatively. Don't get me wrong, it's a great high winding lil motor. I just mean that it's not the best choice if you're wanting to make big power. If you're happy with 550rw or less for a toy, then a stock motor'd 5.0 is fine. But, if you're wanting to go fast, a motor build is in your future with a sleeved block at the minimum. Hopefully at some point someone makes an aftermarket block that is able to handle big power because what is out there now is still breaking the same way factory blocks are.
I guess I haven't really seen to block failures, just when people throw a rod, melt or shatter a piston. I completely agree with it eventually being on borrowed time, but I guess it seems you are exaggerating (from my view point) that time period to be rather quick, when in fact people have been running those high horsepower (500-600) applications for years now. VMP with their Boss, for example. 7xx whp and it's been through multiple track days in Texas and Florida heat.

I know the only true aftermarket option out there for a "high" power motor is MMR's Promod block, of which some people are still skeptical of their stuff sometimes. But it's been filled, sleeved, and decked completely, so I'd hope it holds. lol
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote