View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
MnemonicGhost

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
This is the way to go, a nice component system cant be beat IMO. Back when I was in to stereo stuff I had 5x7/6x8's on all 4 corners in my Bronco ran off an amp, swapped the front to components and the difference was huge.
It's all about the enclosure too, but round speakers are definitely more efficient than oval ones. Ford has has 5x7/6x8s in mustangs as long as I can remember ('93+)

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Gd question. Im looking for something with a High DB rating. That way I can get the most out of the factory unit.
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I'd guess the RMS wattage is 15-25 watts, stock stereos have gotten much better in the last few years but they are still very underpowered.
Just remember the golden rule, you have to double wattage to increase 3 dB. So a 25 watt vs. a 40 watt won't be quite night and day. More is better, but just keep the THD to a minimum. Also with super high sensitivity speakers, they can over power the rest of the system if they are stock. You can only do so much to balance it with stock controls.

Also I'm not very confident in high voltage (speaker) wire inputs on amps, nor have I found a good line level converter that's not ridiculously expensive. I've had my share of head units, but I like stock looking head units for security now...

Mods thus far: JLT Oil Separator - MMD Hood Struts
MnemonicGhost is offline   Reply With Quote