Thread: DFW tuners
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #62
downtime!

We could start both stock, no issues. I've been doing these things long enough to have it 98% correct as soon as I finish bolting the carb on. Won't need a jet change, just a little smoothing out.

I agree on the black magic part though. I tuned two of my old 3V cars, once with Sniper software and the last one with the SCT Racer pack or whatever it used to be called. It's still a matter or learning what the car likes, what this change affects over there, and how it all works together. The difference is, you will not do a great job your first time out. There is a reasonably steep learning curve. While in the other pit, there is a very reasonable chance that I can bolt that carb on right out of the box and the car will run pretty good. Two or three quick turns of a screwdriver, a twist of the distributor, and I'm good to go.

Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
I'd have to say why not start with both of them in 100% stock form? Then how long does it take you to do the work just to catch up with the newer car which is still in its stock form?

It's just air, fuel, and spark. Old or new. I've still got boxes of Holley jets and gaskets around here somewhere. I think the thing is the new stuff is viewed as some kind of black magic by many, and that just isn't the case. I see it as easier, I can sure make a calibration change and reflash quicker than I ever could tear the bowls off the carb and put them back, then get a timing light out and change the base timing, let alone changing the weights/springs for the mechanical advance. Plus I'm more likely to actually make the right change due to having data instead of guessing what the older car wants.

Now, would I rather put headers on your A body than put them on an S197? Hell yes. But by the same token I'd rather put them on an S197 than a 68-70 428CJ car. Would I rather put an oil pump on a big block Mopar than about anything else in the world, yes. We can play that kind of game all day.