Thread: Auto Insurance
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
maxpayne

Default Auto Insurance

I know insurance rates vary from company to company and person to person. As an anecdote, I recently switched my auto insurance from State Farm to Geico. I have been with State Farm since I started driving and have had the best experiences with them. I have always had a person I could speak with face to face and that person was continually friendly, responsive, knowledgeable, and honest. Also, the coverage was top-notch and my claims were always handled professionally and hassle-free.

However, I soon came to realize those tangibles and intangibles come at a premium - and a high one at that. I did some shopping around and decided to go with Geico based solely on my desired balance between cost and coverage.

It took me literally 30 minutes to make the switch. I saved roughly $100 a month and acquired better liability and collision coverage as well compared to my previous policy with State Farm. For my '14 stang and my wife's '13 Hyundai Sonata, we pay only $140 a month TOTAL for both cars, having full coverage with high liability protection, $500 deductibles for Act of God/Collision, $250 deductibles on Un-/under-insured motorists, and a bunch of other random stuff. For me, the savings and coverage I now have with Geico is worth maybe having lower customer service - and that's "to be determined" and highly debatable.

Not trying to sell Geico or other cheaper companies on you all. In all actuality, I prefer State Farm because of my history with them. But, I just wanted to post this thread to encourage everyone to shop around for better coverage and a lower rate if you think you might be paying too much or if you think your coverage could be better.

How much do you pay for auto insurance? Who are you insured with?