View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
I feel like Steve is in the IT realm as well. Maybe he can chime in.
I will say this much, it depends on what area of IT you're talking about getting into for your career. Just saying "IT" paints a very broad brush.
It can be anything from entry level helpdesk stuff to network engineering, or coding/programming, network security and so on.

Degrees? Certifications > degrees.

A degree can get you in the door at certain companies, but more often than not it's your knowledge/ability is more important. Those current certifications are vital. Master your area you choose to be in which ever side you choose to be on. (hardware/software) Also, don't stop learning. In the IT field, it's very important to be up to date on your knowledge and skills. It's all too common for some IT people to get too comfortable in one area, making a decent living, only to find themselves outdated before they know it. I know some coders who didn't even make it through high school who are making over $200k a year.

Right now, the hot area is network security. With all of the networks that have been hacked you have seen on the news (Target, Wal-Mart etc) the field is on fire because companies are scrambling to prevent a PR disaster. (But to be honest here, ALL major Fortune 500 companies have been hacked to some degree at this point.)
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote