View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
Yagermeister

Fordplay, I don't know about you but I certainly don't drive around at the track or the street with my hood open and big fans blowing air straight at my car and my air filter (giving a slightly false reading of how much air is being ingested into the engine and therefore affecting a/f readings) hence why I like datalog tuning on the street and track. While on a dyno I also don't use an air/fuel ratio meter in my tailpipe which is 10 feet away from the cylinder head also giving up to (in some cases) a full point of false a/f readings especially if the sensor is not changed out every couple of weeks or sooner due to leaded race fuels in some cars. I use my Ford provided wideband o2 or install an aftermarket wideband into a car that wasn't provided one close for much more accurate readings.

Most dynos are inertia dynos and don't take load into consideration the same way the street does or a load bearing dyno does. If you get a "full dyno tune" on a LOAD BEARING dyno then dyno tuning can be closer to street/track tuning (not close but closer because you still have the hood open with air blowing straight at the air filter). What I mean by "full dyno tune" is making sure ALL areas the car will be operating in are taken care of such as idle, part throttle low load, part throttle medium load, part throttle high load, tip-in, decel, shift points and lockup points if an auto, and WOT). This cannot be accomplished by driving around the block or two blocks and then back into the garage. The OEM's will "engine dyno" their engines to get them close but then they drive around on the street and on tracks for months and months...not on an inertia dyno or even a load bearing dyno for months and months.

Datalog tuning is exactly what we all saw the camouflaged 2015 Mustang doing for the last few months when it was on city streets.

There are only a few tuners that datalog your car BEFORE tuning it. The reason they do this is to confirm that your car is mechanically correct to tune which also reduces their liability. How can they tune your car if you have a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak before the wideband o2 sensor?? Back when Shaun @ AED was tuning my car, he found in my datalogs that I had a vacuum leak and therefore he would not tune my car. I found the CAI tube coupler to MAF was loose. I fixed it and then he saw in the datalogs that I fixed it and we were good to go. The datalogs can also show poor fuel being used which obviously can affect tuning.

I am serious when I say the following: This post is NOT directed at ANY company in the metroplex or in the the country whatsoever so please do not read anything into my post.

Datalog Tuning FTW!