View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
46Tbird

There is no way you will get 500 n/a hp between the rails on a $5k budget.

Originally Posted by OG Fox View Post
ok cool, these are the answers i been looking for.
I just got the new Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and they did a whole bunch of engine combos on the 302/stroker/boosted applications.

The final N/A motor was a 363 stroker (302 based block), dart pro heads, holley 950 carb, custom cam, and put down to the crank 564/ 487.

in comparison to a modified carb 347 stroker which put down 482/ 424 to the crank.

So it looks like I'll be going stroker.
To get that 363" size you have to run a 4.125" bore which automatically means a $2000 aftermarket block. That doesn't include the machine work to clearance it for that big stroker crank and buying all the rods, pistons, rings, bearings, cam, timing set, etc etc etc. I'm not sure you could get that short block together for your $5k budget - and then all you'd have to bolt on it would be those sweet smogger '82 heads.

Concentrate your $$ where it counts. Your best bet is to buy one of those well built long- or shortblocks that other people have posted up. Let someone else take a hit on all that pricey stuff. Remember that you're going to have to spend a fortune in headers/exhaust, fuel system/carb, ignition, converter or clutch, transmission, rear end, suspension, etc to support ANY "500hp" engine combination.

Building a car ain't cheap, so when someone says they have a cheap and fast Fox body, they are talking about an '87-93 car with a nitrous kit that is living on borrowed time.