View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #31
Toby

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
What rods and pistons would you use with a short stroke 347? Would that be a 331 rod with the bigger 363 pistons?
Yes and no. A 347 and 331 both use the same rod but the compression height is different thus different pistons. normally you would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, along with a 5.4 rod and a 4.125 bore piston. Personally I would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, a sbc 5.7 rod, along with a set of custom built pistons that have the correct xompression height that will put you at a zero deck and 4.125 bore. Reason for the sbc rods, is because they are readily available and having the longer rod gives you a better rod angle thus less side load on the pistons and less pressure and friction on the cylinder walls which could equal a smoother runing engine that will last longer and make more power. but you will need to get a crank that has the rod journal cut to fit the 2.1" sbc rod journal rather then the conventional 2.123 sbf journal. most of the parts will be easy to get ots parts except the pistons. they may need to be custom made but i would have to do the math to figure the compression height needed along with the correct pin size, and ring placement and thickness for the application. I will have to do the math later but it would make a killer combo IMO!!
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote