View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #210
Fair

continued from above

Other than some new rear pads we installed after ECR (the same rear Carbotechs have been on there for many months of abuse - since before NOLA in May) that is the extent of the pre-Nationals prep on the Mustang. We finished up working on the car and loading it and all of our spares and tools and tires into the trailer at about 11:30 pm Labor Day, we were home by midnight and packing our gear for the trip, and we rolled out the next morning at about 7:30 am...

The Epic 25 hour Tow

The tow from Dallas to Salt Lake City was brutal, no way to sugar coat it. Longest tow we've done, and matched the mileage, windshield time and brutality of the tow to Buttonwillow in California in 2008. Google says 1440 miles, and we added about 3400 miles to the truck with the round trip + trips into SLC during the 4 days we were there. At least this time I wasn't using a gas powered 3/4 ton truck and an open trailer to go over the Rocky Mountains (never again). Amy and I made the trip to SLC by ourselves, and she chose the longer "all Interstate" route that went North out of Dallas on I-35, through Oklahoma to Salina, Kansas, then west to Denver on I-70. That leg is about 15 hours. North out of Denver on I-25 to Cheyene, Wyoming, then west on I-80 a-l-l-l-l-l the way across Wyoming and into Salt Lake City, Utah. The 2nd leg is about 10 hours, and has some mountainous climbs. This "around the bend" route is almost 150 miles farther than the shortest route (through New Mexico), but... we go around the worst climbs and descents of the Rocky Mountains and it is all Interstate. Highest elevation we saw was 8500 feet, and the steepest grade was 8%.

The trip up started Tuesday and ended on Wednesday afternoon, with very little sleep on Tuesday night in Denver. The 2013 F-350 (aka: Clifford the Big Red Truck) pulled up and down mountains like a boss, and was 100% worry free. But our trip wasn't without some adventure - our first trailer tire blowout happened just an hour from home, as we crossed the line into Oklahoma. Thanks Oklahoma! Amy was cruising at 75 mph in nearly 100 degree heat when that first one went, so apparently the BFG load range E tires didn't like that speed and temp. Because we blew another one on the way back, in similar ambient temps in Kansas, but this time I was driving and only going 70 mph.

After that first blowout I dropped our max speed to 70 mph, and re-checked the tire pressures; all 4 were at or near 80 psi, as per the load rating. These tires were only 15 months old, the trailer was loaded properly, and I was frustrated beyond belief that we had two nearly new, perfect looking tires go "BOOM!" Luckily we had two mounted spares, but after the 2nd one went on us during the return trip we stopped at a Firestone and bought one more tire. Now we're going to carry a 3rd spare tire, unmounted. Both tires that blew came apart violently and damaged the fender flares, knocked the side mounted sunshade loose, and slapped rubber all over the side of the trailer. Both blowouts were from the same side. I've lost confidence in this tire and will be replacing all 4 with a different brand.

The trip back was easier, as we had Ryan and Brandon with us (they flew into SLC), so between 3 drivers we each drove less. And with more hands we got the 2nd blowout and spare changed in even less time (10 minutes vs 15). Strangely, two other Texas racers that went to Miller also had 2 blowouts each - it was the hip thing to do, I guess.

Ryan flew in to SLC with a chest cold and Amy got sick on the way back, so the return trip involved lots of Dayquil and Kleenex, but at least Brandon and I didn't catch it. Truck averaged 11.5 mpg on the tow up and 10.8 mpg on the way back, with a MASSIVE headwind from Kansas to Texas. For many reasons I hate truck stops but do love towing with a real turbo diesel 1 ton and the 36' enclosed trailer, so they are a necessary evil. Some of these stretches of driving are incredibly boring, like Oklahoma and Kansas, but Wyoming was pretty cool and Utah had some good views as well. I am not a fan of 25 hour tows and it will take some serious contemplation before we make a long haul like this again. Losing 4 days driving to and from an event is hard to swallow when you run a business and normally work 7 days a week. :/

It felt SO good seeing those flags at the gate entering Miller. OK, so we're there... let's talk about the event!

...in my next post. This thing is growing out of control, so I better break it up. More soon!